ways to stop soda and sugar

Options
I am struggling with sugar and soda to stop in my diet. I also struggle with drinking more water any tips i would really appreciate

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just drink more water.

As far as sugar and soda go I don't really have any tips. I don't track my sugar and I still occasionally drink a soda and that hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • tinab190
    tinab190 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try club soda and Mio flavor drops. 0 calories and lots of different flavors. I love it.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Use mental imagery - imagine a dry parched desert. That's you. Then imagine pouring a stream of beautiful, clear water onto it. That's what happens every time you drink water. It does NOT happen when you drink sugary drinks - it only gets worse.

I quit drinking sodas a very long time ago and now they all just taste like syrup to me. Not refreshing at all - can't drink them anymore.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Use mental imagery - imagine a dry parched desert. That's you. Then imagine pouring a stream of beautiful, clear water onto it. That's what happens every time you drink water. It does NOT happen when you drink sugary drinks - it only gets worse.

I quit drinking sodas a very long time ago and now they all just taste like syrup to me. Not refreshing at all - can't drink them anymore.

You still get hydration from the fluid.

My suggestion would be to switch to diet soda.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I took it in steps. Traded regular for diet. (Give it one week if you think you hate diet. I was convinced I did now I thing regular soda is unthinkable.) Then traded diet for diet caffeine free. The started supplementing with Crystal light, tea, MIO, etc. Now I only drink 1 diet a day (lunch usually) and sometimes when I go out to dinner. I drink water too, always did, but when you eat right it is unappealing on its own. IMO.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Here is a good drink that is healthy, very low in calories, and very little sugar...

drinkbai.com/bai5
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Try green tea? You might really like it. Bigelow brand is good. Leave the cheap stuff alone.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I actually quit soda cold turkey and just dealt with the cravings for a few days. Now i have one when i want one, but caffeine and my body really don't get along well anymore, so i really don't drink them often. I just started drinking filtered tap water all the time because i didn't feel like wasting money on other drinks when i would rather be buying food with my money ;p

It's different for everyone, though. Other commenters have good ideas too. You could pick the one that sounds most doable to you and try it out to see if it works. If not, try something else
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You still get hydration from the fluid.

My suggestion would be to switch to diet soda.

This.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do drink soda once a week when I'm eating outside, under 400ml. I think once in a while is fine. What I have done so far is to stop buying the big bottles one from supermarkets. Dont bring it back home, because for sure I can't stop drinking after that.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also quit cold turkey. I drink diet pop a bit but nothing like I used to.

You just kind of have to get fed up and say no more. The first couple days are bad for caffeine withdrawal.... Then the next couple weeks are tough with the sugar. But after that you pretty much stop thinking about sugary pop
  • brookej8688
    brookej8688 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For me because I drank at least a liter of soda and coffee a day because I drive all day for a living, I switched to the flavored water from walmart/target or any grocery store. they are zero calories, then i started only drinking half of those and half regular water, now i drink mostly tea with splenda and plain water. it really helped me though because i stopped craving the soda.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    I like to drink infused water. Strawberry and lemon is really good. I also like cucumber water. And mint goes well with cucumbers or berries. I change up the combos so I don't get bored.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Diet soda

And if you log your foods to your calorie defecit it will automatically cut down on the amount you can eat..if you have reached your defecit and are still hungry you will have to amend your food choices...this is how you slowly learn to make better choices
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to quit completely start slowly lowering your soda intake, if you drink soda three times a day go down to twice a day for a couple weeks then lower to once a day then maybe once a week, once a month, so on. Same with your water start upping your intake slowly and you will adjust to the taste.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm getting plenty of water that I don't really crave soda. I add flavor with Crystal Light or Mio. You can get caffinated flavors, too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to the MFP blog and have seen tips on cutting down cutting out soda there. Here's one of them: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/so-you-want-to-stop-drinking-soda/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Try green tea? You might really like it. Bigelow brand is good. Leave the cheap stuff alone.

I like green tea. People not familiar with it should know that it should be brewed using water not quite at the boiling point and for a shorter time than black tea. Water from a hot water dispenser or the lowest setting on my electric kettle and brewing for exactly three minutes is perfect for me.
  • M155y647
    M155y647 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I crave soda, I just drink Perrier lemon flavoured water. The bubbles feel like I'm drinking a soda.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I cut back a bit for a week or so and then went cold turkey.

Add sodium to your diet to prevent the electrolyte loss that reduced carbs will cause. Often the feelings of headaches, fatigue and a achiness that occurs with cutting sugars is actually symptoms of low electrolytes. A cup of broth or salt tablets (up to 5000 mg) can help.

Good luck