DIABETIC DIETING- PLEASE POST RECIPES IDEAS AND ANYTHING RELATED TO CONTROLLING DIABETES

Options
popdaczar2017
popdaczar2017 Posts: 11 Member
Looking for a few good ideas to keep my weight down and my blood sugar low.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give you is watch your carbs. And wheat/ whole grains are better.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Google glycemic index and stick to low GI foods. Also there have been studies that show cooling and reheating pasta and rice reduce their glycemic index.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11167883/Cool-and-reheat-pasta-to-make-it-less-fattening.html
    http://www.montignac.com/en/the-factors-that-modify-glycemic-indexes/

Also this study helped me a lot.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

As a result of losing 20kg my HBA1C went from 10+ to 4.8, medication free. Have been off medication for over 2 years now.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Looking for a few good ideas to keep my weight down and my blood sugar low.

Do an online search for ketogenic diet or keto. This has been a very positive way of eating for people with type 2 diabetes.
  • popdaczar2017
    popdaczar2017 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info unfortunately I am type 1 so it's a lifestyle of maintaing heathy glucose levels
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have read a lot about supplementing with Fiber to help control blood sugar spikes. I use Ultra Fiber DX daily.
  • LaLa_Ventura
    LaLa_Ventura Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use herbal teas. I drink Chamomile everyday especially now that it's winter. I like it plain but I also have different varieties such as Apple Cinnamon for the extra support from the cinnamon.

Google the benefits of Chamomile for Diabetics. It truly helps me.
  • Db8688
    Db8688 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info unfortunately I am type 1 so it's a lifestyle of maintaing heathy glucose levels

Ketogenics can help stabilize blood glucose whether you are type 1 or 2. You just have to research and see if this is something that might work for your lifestyle. :smiley:
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/one-year-lchf-diet-type-1-diabetes
  • eeploo
    eeploo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Avoid grains, whole grains included, and sugar. Grains are awful for people with diabetes. Eat a high fat/low carb diet. Research it. It works
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Portion control has been key for me to help keep my sugars under control. It can be hard because I like to eat, but it is really helpful.
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Take a look on dietdoctors.com, there are masses of great recipes that would suit you xx
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look up south beach diet.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby please jump in here.( when you read this thread you'll know exactly why your help is needed)
  • sonyajill
    sonyajill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I made a spinach omlette this morning with one egg & 2 egg whites, spinach, slice of deli ham, cheese and onion. Even if you leave out the spinach and onion, The macros were really impressive!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    @earlnabby please jump in here.( when you read this thread you'll know exactly why your help is needed)

Ok.

I am T2Dm so not everything I do will relate best to the OP since she is T1Dm. My A1C was 7.3 at diagnosis and I reduced it back to normal levels in less than 9 months and it has stayed there ever since (no medication). My last one was just before Thanksgiving and it was 5.0 I have also lost 129 lb so far (20 more to go) and do fat burning exercises daily, which also makes a difference.

My routine and thoughts:
    • Per my doctor, I keep my carbs under 180 g a day. There is no reason for everyone to go low carb or keto. There IS a reason to monitor carbs.
    • My macro mix is 35% protein, 35% carb, 30% fat
    • I try to eat protein with each meal that contains carbs, including my bedtime snack which usually contains a couple of hard cooked eggs along with something like popcorn.
    • I eat 5-6 small meals during the day, with dinner being the biggest. This keeps my glucose relatively level.
    • I walk 5-7 miles daily and swim 1.5 miles 3 times a week. I eat back about 90% of the calories my Vivofit gives me and about 50% of my swimming calories (since I use MFP's database which is notoriously inaccurate)

MFP works to monitor your intake, if you choose to work it. Set your numbers based on reality, adjust where you need to, weigh and measure all your food, log diligently, trust the process. You didn't say if you need to actually lose weight. It works just as well to maintain, as I hope to demonstrate by this summer.

Good luck. Diabetes CAN be managed. My best friend from grade school was diagnosed T1Dm her sophomore year in college. She is now 59, gave birth to and raised 3 wonderful children, is highly successful in her chosen field (anthropology), and has maintained good health throughout.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    As far as food goes, I found a bunch of recipes on different diabetic websites like Diabetic connect http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetic-recipes and Skinnytaste http://www.skinnytaste.com/ . I do a lot of stews and casseroles in my crock pot. I generally lower the amount of rice I eat with a stew and up the non-starchy veggies in order to lower the calories (and the carbs). I tried various keto websites but there is just too much fat in most of the recipes (1/2 cup heavy cream in one smoothie? Yuck). There are websites with recipes aimed at people eating Atkins too, which can be helpful finding something new for a main dish that is lower carb.

Also, one of my favorite substitutions to lower the carb count in things like soups and stews is subbing turnips for potatoes.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Many people with Type 1 diabetes can benefit from a low carb/ketogenic diet, because the background level of insulin you need, and the mealtime bolus are directly related to carb consumption. But be absolutely sure to consult with your doctor - because lowering carbs when you are insulin dependent can cause hypoglycemia if you are taking a baseline level of insulin that is too high for a lower carb level.

If I was T1, without insulin resistance, and able to maintain relatively stable blood sugars in the normal (not diabetic normal) range, I don't think I'd bother with a low carb/ketogenic diet. The big benefit to low carb (as far as diabetes goes) is accommodating insulin resistance - which is not inherently part of T1 diabetes.