How to live healthy when you have no money

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So...it's january 1, and i have £46 in my bank account. Next payday isn't until the end of this month, and will probably be used to pay off debts that i incur for surviving this month. Rent is paid for (hence the current bank balance), and bills will take me into the negatives. So im basically starting the month with less than zero in the bank.

How to eat? Healthily as well. And afford to go to the gym. Sigh. Looks like this month will be about overtimes, irregular eating, and home workouts when i have the time and energy.

Happy new year indeed. Sorry for being so miserable.

You do not need a gym and you do not need special food to be healthy. Walk more, do some home workouts if you have the time. But, if you cannot afford to even pay bill this month, exercise should not be a priority, looking for overtime or a second job should be and also figuring out how you got yourself into this situation, and what needs to change to prevent it from happening again: new job, moving, cutting down on other bills?
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I find there's a close connection between financial budgeting and food budgeting. They both get out of whack from the same kinds of thinking. If you crack the code for living within a budget for one, you'll be able to achieve the same with the other. Everyone above is right: eating less costs less, and cheap food is as good as expensive for that purpose, if not better. Exercise is even cheaper. These things may present a problem because you don't enjoy them, but that's not a matter of money. If you experiment a bit, you'll be able to find cheap food and cheap exercise that you enjoy as much as anything you'd have access to with an unlimited budget. Whatever is holding you back may be formidable, but it ain't the bucks!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So...it's january 1, and i have £46 in my bank account. Next payday isn't until the end of this month, and will probably be used to pay off debts that i incur for surviving this month. Rent is paid for (hence the current bank balance), and bills will take me into the negatives. So im basically starting the month with less than zero in the bank.

How to eat? Healthily as well. And afford to go to the gym. Sigh. Looks like this month will be about overtimes, irregular eating, and home workouts when i have the time and energy.

Happy new year indeed. Sorry for being so miserable.

Go out the front door and just keep walking. That is still free. Unfortunately eating on that much isn't particularly easy but, i'm sure you can get something decent. Do you have a costco like store in your area where you can buy bulk stuff?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I find there's a close connection between financial budgeting and food budgeting. They both get out of whack from the same kinds of thinking. If you crack the code for living within a budget for one, you'll be able to achieve the same with the other. Everyone above is right: eating less costs less, and cheap food is as good as expensive for that purpose, if not better. Exercise is even cheaper. These things may present a problem because you don't enjoy them, but that's not a matter of money. If you experiment a bit, you'll be able to find cheap food and cheap exercise that you enjoy as much as anything you'd have access to with an unlimited budget. Whatever is holding you back may be formidable, but it ain't the bucks!

Ya, and like with food and Calories In / Calories out, when funds are short people can look at ways to increase earnings as well as limit expenses.

When my dog was dying of cancer and I was struggling to pay for his treatment, I went to my employer and asked to be put back on hourly wages (rather than salary) so I could earn overtime. Instead, they gave me my performance review early, gave me a raise, and gave me my year end bonus early. I also cut costs - stopped eating out, etc.

@mystgrl1604 you mentioned overtimes - can you get enough of this regularly to earn enough to live on? What about a second job or a better job? To get you through this month, what about food banks, churches, assistance from family members? Do you qualify for public assistance?
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tight budget like this, just focus on eating for energy. Rice and fried egg (for me). I don't care if it's not nutritious (if it's just for 1-2 months, I'm okay with it). £46 is plenty.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lots of wonderful advice in here!

Wishing you well @mystgrl1604! :)
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, I do 90% of my workouts outside -- I love hiking, taking walks, going for a bike ride, ice skating, snowshoeing, etc. Personally I prefer being outside to working out in a gym.

Also, look for free fitness classes and offerings -- you might be shocked at what you find. I know around me there is a lot of free stuff offered or people meeting up for hikes or bike rides.

Good luck!
  • cmidi
    cmidi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I go to asda, tesco and marks and spencers at around 7 ocklock at night and find all the bargains that will last me a few days for around £5.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I actually spend less in food now than I did before I started Cico because I eat less now. There are great suggestions in this post of cheap food that is filling.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    In season veggies are always cheaper. Challenge yourself to buy stuff you're less familiar with and google recipes. Soups can be very filling, keep well and nutritious (I am conscious of the high sodium in most stocks).

Don't forget canned tuna--very cheap and healthy (albacore). I'm sure you must have bulk stores there for some staples, too. Sprout's here is always packed on Wednesday because it's double coupon day (last week's deals and the next week's deals). Worth navigating the crowds. :smiley:
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bless you all! Just had a mini-breakdown yesterday, pulled myself together, and am determined to get through this month in one piece. Been struggling financially since my partner lost his job 3yrs ago and hit crisis point recently. Both of us don't have any family so we're totally on our own.

Applied and got an overdraft, and put myself down for loads of overtime this month (that i will hopefully get), so God willing next month won't be as bad even with paying the overdraft.

Thank you so much for the support! I will be checking that website out. Plus all the shopping deals.