Wii Fit scale

Options
Hey everyone! Just want a couple opinions. We do not own a scale at all - and are hesitant to buy one for fear I'll get obsessed ;-). That and we're broke lol. However, we do have a Wii fit that we've had for a couple years now. I'm curious if anyone know how consistent it is with a normal scale. I use it occasionally, but I take it with a grain of salt usually because I'm uncertain as to how accurate it is. I weigh in on a normal scale at school on Tuesdays, which is fine for NOW, but school is ending very soon for me (thank God!) so I won't have access to it anymore. Plus, weighing in on Tuesdays can be frustrating when you wanna partake in challenges, and the weigh ins are due on (insert weekend day here). So, anyone have any thoughts? Would my Wii Fit work for me so long as I kept time/clothing/day consistent?

Replies

• Samanthahahaha
    Options
    Hey, I don't know for sure because I haven't done any really close comparison of scales but from doctor's appointments and weighing myself on the Wii Fit, they are fairly similar so I use mine. I figure too, it at least will be accurate on measuring lose week to week since it is all I use to measure, hope that helps!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Our wii fit is more accurate than a cheap home scale that's for sure. If anything it will give you a good indicator of progress.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing, since I am on the cusp of using of finally being able to use mine. Since max load is 330 and I'm at 331, when I get on it says im too heavy.
  • keljo720
    keljo720 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used mine to work out the other day and my weight was 10 lbs lighter on the Wii Fit vs. my scale that I spent too much money on. I liked that reading better, however, my bathroom scale is right on with the doctor's scale.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep the batteries charged, store the board properly (never on it's side) and using the carpet extenders (if on carpet, of course) it should be pretty accurate. I always make sure I'm wearing pretty much the same thing and select the same clothing option (light, heavy, other) every time. I try to do it at the same time of day, like any other scale really.

Anytime I've compared it with a real scale, it's been accurate.
  • Miss_Sissy
    Miss_Sissy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii daily. As long as it is NOT on the carpet, and do it first thing in A.M. after you potty... It was like 5 - 7 lbs difference when I took it from the carpet to kitchen. (Carpet was much lower) MEaning, it will tell you that you weigh less on the carpet than the floor.

I don't have a scale and the Wii measured by the point. If you lose 0.2, it will tell ya.

Hope this helps.
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've always crossed checked my Wii with another scale, literally at least twice a week. I think you could say I'm officially obsessed! I've found the Wii to fluctuate around 1-2 lbs from the other scales, but it's probably due to changes in my body as opposed to the Wii scale itself.
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    No, My wii fit board was consistent for a while but if I move it around to much, it freaks out. Last time I played wii fit, it told me I lost 40lbs in a month which, I can tell you is absolutely not true. haha

I love wii fit as far as the calories burned and activities go but, nothing replaces a real scale...try target, you can get one for pretty cheap. Also, even if it's not totally accurate, using the same scale for every weigh in is important...so if you're losing weight, it will show, just maybe not with the right numbers.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    It is accurate!! I have a set of good scales too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing, since I am on the cusp of using of finally being able to use mine. Since max load is 330 and I'm at 331, when I get on it says im too heavy.

Now how is that for an NSV?!? Congrats to you!

As long as you're using it on a hard surface, or are using the raisers on the carpet, and are weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same type of clothing, you should get a consistent reading from week to week. Don't spend the money on a scale, especially if you don't have it to spend.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I dont know why but my wii fit is so far off it isnt even funny. It weighs me almost fifteen pounds lower than i am! Ive tried everything to get it to calibrate properly but nothing seems to make it say the right thing.

That said, if youve weighed youself at school and then come home and hopped on your wii and got the same number, you may be able to use it. I do think that real scales (those tall ones where you move the slider bar) are very accurate. My gym has one that i use but, of course, i cant get on that first thing in the morning naked. :)
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    If you use the Wii Fit, use it on a hard floor. Mine was pretty accurate against the doctor or the gym scales.
  • Shemac04
    Shemac04 Posts: 16
    Options
    My Wii was off about 6 lbs....I use a nice WW scale we bought at bed bath and beyond. Also how do you get the pictures of the lbs lost under your post.:smooched:
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have found that the Wii Fit scale is very accurate. I have both and they both give me the same number with the exception that my bathroom scale also gives me tenths of pounds, but the Wii Fit scale is always accurate within .5 pounds. I would trust it until such a time as you can get a regular scale.
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    i use wii fit scale --works great -- the main thing i notice is i sometimes have to reweigh and make sure my center of balance is in the center to make sure correct results
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Mine has never even gotten close to my real weight. I have used it twice in one day (in the same spot) and had a 40 pound swing. I wouldn't trust it. See if you can find a scale at a thrift store or garage sale.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Now how is that for an NSV?!? Congrats to you!

As long as you're using it on a hard surface, or are using the raisers on the carpet, and are weighing yourself at the same time of day in the same type of clothing, you should get a consistent reading from week to week. Don't spend the money on a scale, especially if you don't have it to spend.

Exactly!! I was hoping to hit it last week. Fingers are crossed for tomorrow's weigh in. Worked my *kitten* off this week. It's been tempting to get on it and see if it will let me use it but so far have resisted the urge.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It needs to be on a solid surface. I stopped using mine because I swear when I got on it the Wii would say "ouch" :laugh:
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It does say ouch :-D, stupid thing lol.

Thanks for your responses everyone! Sounds like it's either VERY accurate for a lot of people, or EXTREMELY inaccurate for others lol. If anything, it's been right around my weight - not always exact, but right around my weight. I think I'll trust it till I can get to a real scale ;-). I'm trying not to be obsessive about weighing myself, but I'd like to know I AM losing! ;-) lol
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use my wii fit balance board as my normal weigh-in scale, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was only off by 1.1lbs from my doctors scale. I won't go out and buy another scale when its so close to being 'perfect' :)