Help ...Which Strength workout app to use

Options
Perhaps I've missed the right choice on the apps list but I'm looking for an gym workout app that feeds into this one. I currently need to log exercises, each rep, have notes and it needs to be super quick to be done in between sets.. Any suggestions???

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think you may be asking for a bit too much from any one app. I do not know of any that will do all that you state you need.

However, I could be wrong, and I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong in the App Store.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I like gymbook, its simple, not pretty but totally custom
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use Rep Count. It doesn't feed into this but you don't need it to for strength training. I don't really see the point of that. The free version is easy and super quick to update between sets. It's also easy to browse through all of your past workouts and add new lifts. The paid version is only a buck or two and you can track your strength/lifting progress.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tried many apps, I keep coming back to pen and paper or spreadsheets. For strength, it should be easy to track on paper since you should be focusing only on a few compound movements. Good luck.
  • arditarose
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Tried many apps, I keep coming back to pen and paper or spreadsheets. For strength, it should be easy to track on paper since you should be focusing only on a few compound movements. Good luck.

I was sad to give up my pen and paper :( I do prefer the old school way.

• SteveyStar2016
    SteveyStar2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm currently using Strong but will check out the other options suggested. I guess I just figured there might be one that feeds in to this app, but it's no big deal. Have a good day everyone
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • arditarose
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5

That is an entire lifting program, not just an app.
  • SteveyStar2016
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So, forgive me if I'm being daft but I thought it was important to include your exercise in this app so that it highlights the associated calories. For me, wanted to gain more weight I need to be conscious that I need to eat more on training days. I guess most people aren't feeding in their activity (cos they're logging it in other apps)?
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Steve, I just sent you an add
    You ever hear of athlean x?
  • SteveyStar2016
    Options
    Sure. I signed up then bust my shoulder 2 months ago. Just back and gonna give it a go in a few weekd
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    you mean you have athlean program
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use FitNotes. It doesn't feed into MFP, but it fits your other requirements
  • arditarose
    Options
    So, forgive me if I'm being daft but I thought it was important to include your exercise in this app so that it highlights the associated calories. For me, wanted to gain more weight I need to be conscious that I need to eat more on training days. I guess most people aren't feeding in their activity (cos they're logging it in other apps)?

People log their cardio because MFP uses the NEAT method and those who are losing eat those calories back. Logging your lifts isn't going to give you an accurate burn or anything. Just eat and log what your goal is on workout days.

• SteveyStar2016
    Options
    ok I think I'm over thinking it. Cheers @arditarose
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Under armour record app can "track workouts" for you, and it will deduct the calories in myfitnesspal. The tracking is not nearly that specific. It just records how long you worked out, and estimates your calories burned based on what type of exercise it was (upper body, legs, cardio, etc.). You can also sync it with your tech like a fitbit, so it might be more accurate with that but I haven't tried it yet. I usually use the under armour record app so at least something feeds into myfitnesspal to adjust the calorie count, and then record my workout sets, reps, and weights separately.
  • SteveyStar2016
    Options
    Cheers Adam. Weirdly I was just installing Record just now. Will check it out, thanks !
  • arditarose
    Options
    ok I think I'm over thinking it. Cheers @arditarose

Trust me. I'm the Queen of overthinking training apps and logging. I set my macros and my calorie goal, knowing that I'm going to be over on somedays or one day per week because I plan to. You see red because you went over your calorie goal but the CICO police don't come after you I swear.
  • SteveyStar2016
    Options
    Well I've been training for 7 years but truthfully I've never calorie counted. Just ate well. But now wanna try bulking and frankly a novice so started yesterday and we'll see. Any good resources around in terms of advice? I noted a decent post on the community...