Desperately Needing to Lose

Options
Hi everyone

I'm Michelle from NY and I'm new to MyFitnessPal. I had heard about this app for years but didn't pay it much mind. I used the Weight Watchers app 2-3 years ago and while I had lost weight, I have since gained it all back.

I'm currently 50 pounds over weight and after a visit with my doctor yesterday, i really need to lose. My bloodwork revealed that I am not pre-diabetic. My thyroid function is also dramatically low.

So, here I am. No motivation to really exercise (I used to) and constantly wanting to eat.

Day 1 and already ate too much.

Replies

• kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    It takes time to get accustomed to eating the appropriate amount of calories after over eating for so long. Don't be so hard on yourself. Today you over ate but tomorrow will be a better day. One thing that has helped me is to prelog my foods or already know what I plan to eat the following day. If you go into the day blindly it's much harder to stay on track. In time you'll become use to eating the appropriate amount of calories and you won't have to think about it as much. Good luck and remember to take it a day at a time.
  • fnhairnfaith
    fnhairnfaith Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It takes time to get accustomed to eating the appropriate amount of calories after over eating for so long. Don't be so hard on yourself. Today you over ate but tomorrow will be a better day. One thing that has helped me is to prelog my foods or already know what I plan to eat the following day. If you go into the day blindly it's much harder to stay on track. In time you'll become use to eating the appropriate amount of calories and you won't have to think about it as much. Good luck and remember to take it a day at a time.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm always hard on myself. What I don't understand is the whole carbs, fat, sugar targets for each day. Its hard enough tracking the food and calories, figuring out all these extra things to track is a bit tedious it seems
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Welcome...ex New Yorker here, also ex WW member and ex yo yo dieter. You can do it. One day, one pound, one step at a time.

Like the person above, I always pre plan/pre log my food and make sure I leave a nice sum of calories/carbs/sugar for snacks....and I just adjust thru out the day. I find I never go over my goals as I've already "reserved" those calories. I work what I want (chocolate, junk food, fast food) into the diary and plan my days eating around what I want to eat...so no surprises.

It gets easier, just don't give up.

vc5opt2t84ad.png
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »
    Welcome...ex New Yorker here, also ex WW member and ex yo yo dieter. You can do it. One day, one pound, one step at a time.

Like the person above, I always pre plan/pre log my food and make sure I leave a nice sum of calories/carbs/sugar for snacks....and I just adjust thru out the day. I find I never go over my goals as I've already "reserved" those calories. I work what I want (chocolate, junk food, fast food) into the diary and plan my days eating around what I want to eat...so no surprises.

It gets easier, just don't give up.

vc5opt2t84ad.png

Thanks I just feel like I don't have enough calories. Only 1200
    Still trying to figure out the most fulfilling foods with the least amount of calories

• escotech2883
    escotech2883 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Im from NY too good luck to you !!
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    Im from NY too good luck to you !!

Thanks! 1 day at a time!
  • SUGARBUSHNATURAL
    SUGARBUSHNATURAL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Let's be fitness buddies!
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options

[/quote]

Still trying to figure out the most fulfilling foods with the least amount of calories

[/quote]
    Hi. You might be trying to lose to fast at first. Cutting down to 1200 calories from a normal diet of say 2250 or so will definitely leave you starving. Check your goals. A pound a week is aggressive so whatever you did to make MFP punish you with only 1200, you need to fix.

I'm at 1670 after setting a goal of 2 lbs per week. That's a real stretch for me but I know that when I go over my goals I will adjust my diet to accommodate it. I cook my meals and have snacks in between. Keep that motor humming! That's my motto. I don't like being hungry.

Best of luck to you!
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options

[/quote]
    Hi. You might be trying to lose to fast at first. Cutting down to 1200 calories from a normal diet of say 2250 or so will definitely leave you starving. Check your goals. A pound a week is aggressive so whatever you did to make MFP punish you with only 1200, you need to fix.

I'm at 1670 after setting a goal of 2 lbs per week. That's a real stretch for me but I know that when I go over my goals I will adjust my diet to accommodate it. I cook my meals and have snacks in between. Keep that motor humming! That's my motto. I don't like being hungry.

Best of luck to you!
    [/quote]

Thanks but how on earth do I fix the calories? I out that I am sedentary at first then switched it to the next active level. I'm working out 4x a week and on the off days I do a stretching workout. Today I earned over 400 calories back from exercise. Should I just eat my exercise calories?
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal to loosing 0 pounds a week you'll get more calories to eat every day. That's where I started until I got used to tracking my food. Now I set an aggressive goal of 2 pounds per week. Should theoretically be able to lose that by changing my diet but I am committed to some form of exercise each day.
  • spenceraneka
    spenceraneka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I am Annie and I need to lose 140 lbs, I have begin gaining a lot each year and I don't want my weight to get out of control them it already is
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    If you set your goal to loosing 0 pounds a week you'll get more calories to eat every day. That's where I started until I got used to tracking my food. Now I set an aggressive goal of 2 pounds per week. Should theoretically be able to lose that by changing my diet but I am committed to some form of exercise each day.

Thanks It's been 5 days and I'm actually getting used to it so I will leave it. However the exercise calories earned are a help. Also my high fiber foods seem to be keeping me full. My total to lose is 50 lbs so I want o do it sooner rather than later to get my blood sugar and thyroid in check
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    Hey I am Annie and I need to lose 140 lbs, I have begin gaining a lot each year and I don't want my weight to get out of control them it already is

That was my issue too and at 205 my body just started to hurt which is y I started making changes, That and bad blood test results.

You can do it. Just take 1 day at a time, 1 meal, 1 workout. I really like the Body Gospel program. I don't know your belief system but pairing exercising with the word of God is very helpful
  • william957
    william957 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi im new started today I need to loose approx 5 stone. Done it once before on weight watchers but have put every pound back on and more. Be great if we can support and encourage each other . Find that always help. Lou brighton
  • rnstarr
    rnstarr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you can figure out your present calories, reduce it by 250 for about 2 weeks, then reduce it by 250 again. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound. So if you can reduce daily calories by 500, that is a pound a week without exercise. Increasing fiber and water will keep things moving along in the gut. Fiber and protein will make you feel full longer. I set my calorie goal to 1500 and am following a ketosis (Atkins type) diet. Years ago I did the induction phase for 6 months (yes you can stay on it longer than 2 weeks) with 1 cup veggies at night with dinner, and lost 60 pounds. Everyone has to find what works best for them. I am eating less than 10% carbs, so the weight loss won't be quick and plan to eat like this as a lifestyle. Good Luck!
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    william957 wrote: »
    Hi im new started today I need to loose approx 5 stone. Done it once before on weight watchers but have put every pound back on and more. Be great if we can support and encourage each other . Find that always help. Lou brighton

Not sure how much 5 stones is as it relates to lbs but I'm sure u can do it
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    rnstarr wrote: »
    If you can figure out your present calories, reduce it by 250 for about 2 weeks, then reduce it by 250 again. It takes 3500 calories to make a pound. So if you can reduce daily calories by 500, that is a pound a week without exercise. Increasing fiber and water will keep things moving along in the gut. Fiber and protein will make you feel full longer. I set my calorie goal to 1500 and am following a ketosis (Atkins type) diet. Years ago I did the induction phase for 6 months (yes you can stay on it longer than 2 weeks) with 1 cup veggies at night with dinner, and lost 60 pounds. Everyone has to find what works best for them. I am eating less than 10% carbs, so the weight loss won't be quick and plan to eat like this as a lifestyle. Good Luck!

I did Atkins many years go
    Probably did every diet known but never sustained the loss because none taught me how to eat best for my body

I'm going to stick with the 1200
    Cals for now and also eat my exercise calories when I have them. I weigh in tomorrow so I'm looking for a loss
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'd actually recommend eating back only half your exercise calories. Only because we tend to overestimate our burn and underestimate our intake. Also consider getting a food scale if you don't already have one. When you have such a low BMR, being even 100 calories off a day can really hurt your progress.
  • fnhairnfaith
    Options
    I'd actually recommend eating back only half your exercise calories. Only because we tend to overestimate our burn and underestimate our intake. Also consider getting a food scale if you don't already have one. When you have such a low BMR, being even 100 calories off a day can really hurt your progress.

Thanks I will test it because I have 50 lbs to lose and I'm only eating 1200 cald which is pretty low. I'm eating about 1500 with my exercise cals. Seems to be holding me

Before starting I was eating over 2000 cals a day

I measure my food also except meat, I'm experienced at eyeballing it since I was on WW for so long
  • hmoulder98
    hmoulder98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just wanted to say good luck! I have all the faith in the world in you! I know all about those labs and dr.'s appointments as I am a medical assistant and my boss is all about weight loss. Just keep in mind that it takes 21 days to break a habit. You got this!