Low carb

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sweetalot wrote: »
    Yes, you can lose weight quickly cutting out carbs but you'll gain the weight back just as fast once you reintroduce them to your meal plans like everyone I know who went this route experienced. You're better off customizing a daily meal plan that takes all food groups into consideration and monitoring your portion sizes. I don't know what your current fitness ability is post-ACL but hopefully you'll be able to do walk around or cycle around for means of exercise if you can't at this point.

As for your intake, what MFP suggests for you once you've entered your information is a good starting point; you can adjust from there.

Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

Glycogen, water retention.

I lost 33lb eating low carb, will I regain all of this again in water weight if I re-introduce high carbs?

Welcome back.

No, read above. Some, not all.

Some, limited, number on a scale.

I never claimed one would gain back at a certain rate, or above a certain threshold. All I did was point out a flaw in your sarcastic attempt to point out that one can only gain weight while in a caloric surplus. Thank you for proving my point though.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't bother with low carb - Unless your going to stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc forever? What's the point?

Its like me cutting out dairy and only drinking black coffee & no milk - Why I love my milky coffee's and tea's - I don't get it!

Giving up something you love.

Weight loss is down to calories, You lose weight when you eat less than you burn. Just work out your BMR & TDEE and eat between this, or a few hundred above your BMR.

I have low carbed before, But then craved bread so badly
  • PinkPupper
    PinkPupper Posts: 47 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Omg do not go low carb.
    Eat more fruit to help repair your body. In the words of Freelee the Banana Girl, "Carb the *kitten* up!"
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Omg do not go low carb.
    Eat more fruit to help repair your body. In the words of Freelee the Banana Girl, "Carb the *kitten* up!"
    Freelee's "advice" is only for entertainment value, not to be taken seriously.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My problem with carbs is that I tend to binge eat with high carb foods. Limiting my carb calories to 20% or less still leaves me with 120g to 150g per day to work with, depending on how much I exercise for the day. The fats and proteins, as noted by many, is what allows me to maintain my calorie deficit and lose weight.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ugh...just do what you want. And I love the new unstar feature.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    try a hi protein, moderate carbs diet instead of a hi protein, low carb diet. I eat about 130g of carbs per day. That's seems to be low enough to make your body burn fat and hi enough for you not to hit the wall. It seems to be working out decently for me.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i swear,,, i was eating like 250-300g of carbs per day for a month because of this book I read and my love handles swelled. So, I cut back to around 120-130g and my love handles disappeared and I lost a good amount of weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sweetalot wrote: »
    Yes, you can lose weight quickly cutting out carbs but you'll gain the weight back just as fast once you reintroduce them to your meal plans like everyone I know who went this route experienced. You're better off customizing a daily meal plan that takes all food groups into consideration and monitoring your portion sizes. I don't know what your current fitness ability is post-ACL but hopefully you'll be able to do walk around or cycle around for means of exercise if you can't at this point.

As for your intake, what MFP suggests for you once you've entered your information is a good starting point; you can adjust from there.

Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

Glycogen, water retention.

I lost 33lb eating low carb, will I regain all of this again in water weight if I re-introduce high carbs?

Welcome back.

No, read above. Some, not all.

Some, limited, number on a scale.

I never claimed one would gain back at a certain rate, or above a certain threshold. All I did was point out a flaw in your sarcastic attempt to point out that one can only gain weight while in a caloric surplus. Thank you for proving my point though.

Your post caused the issue, actually.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    2013sk wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't bother with low carb - Unless your going to stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc forever? What's the point?

Its like me cutting out dairy and only drinking black coffee & no milk - Why I love my milky coffee's and tea's - I don't get it!

Weight loss is down to calories, You lose weight when you eat less than you burn. Just work out your BMR & TDEE and eat between this, or a few hundred above your BMR.

Why would she need to give them up forever??
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Edit - meh, not worth expending the energy typing a response
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i swear,,, i was eating like 250-300g of carbs per day for a month because of this book I read and my love handles swelled. So, I cut back to around 120-130g and my love handles disappeared and I lost a good amount of weight.

your love handles swelled because you were in eating in a calorie surplus, not because of the amount of carbs you ate....
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't bother with low carb - Unless your going to stop eating bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc forever? What's the point? ...

Why would she need to give them up forever??

Exactly. Some people need to keep them on the low-low forever due to diabetes or some medical issue, but those that don't, who are successful-mind you, just add back what carbs they want and maintain their calorie deficit. Just like any other dieter who is successful long term. There is nothing magic about low-carb that will suddenly make you gain it all back when you switch back to a higher-carb diet. Calories matter regardless. You add back the carbs, but you keep your calories where they need to be for maintenance or at a higher deficit if you are still losing but switching plans.

Definitely not a "forever" scenario.

Giving up something you love...

Try coffee and tea with heavy cream....heavenly!

As far as the "giving up something you love," I gave up table sugar and corn syrup. I love my chocolate and my added sugars and my bread, noodles and potatoes. I loved them too much. It was choosing between my love to binge on them and my health. I couldn't just do a little. Ever. That left me 90lbs overweight and heading toward diabetes in 15 years...it's hardly a decision to give me trouble. I have children to take care of. The chocolate and noodles never stood a chance once I decided on a low-carb diet. And now...well I get plenty to eat of food so I don't really miss them.

Later, when I hit my goal, to maintain I'll add back wholegrain breads a little, but I still need to watch it on pasta, potatoes, and bread. I love them too much and can't control myself. But it doesn't matter as long as I keep my calorie deficit appropriate. I'll allow myself foods on the low end of the Glycemic Index in moderation as long as I keep calories in check.

Low-carb doesn't have to be forever for everyone. It just works well as a "right now" for a lot of people. :smile:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

your love handles swelled because you were in eating in a calorie surplus, not because of the amount of carbs you ate....

Right. Assuming those carb calories were not replaced by fat and protein.

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    The percentages all depend on your body and also which way you want to go with the low carbs. I suggest doing some research into low carb diets before deciding on anything.

I'm doing the ketogenic diet at 19g of carbs a day. My personal macros are 5% carb 72% fat and 23% protein at 1480 calories a day.

I usually do omelets for breakfast with avocado and hot sauce. Lunch is a protein and a low carb veggie..4oz of canned chicken with mayo and a cup of green beans. Dinner is also a protein with a low carb veggie. I usually have to dress dinner up some for the family so it will be something similar to.. chicken breast stuffed with spinach, feta, and cream cheese and then broccoli as a side. I also have hemp oil, fat bombs (heavy whipping cream whipped with cream cheese and stevia..there are tons of recipes out there), and coconut oil blended into half and half or almond milk in my tea or decaf coffee to get my fat macro where it should be.

I do want to note that I am on this type of diet for reactive hypoglycemia and was already eating much lower carbs than the typical American..so the transition was painless.

If you're used to breads, pastas, and the like..it might be difficult at first. There are low carb substitutes available..such as zucchini in place of pasta and almond and coconut flour breads. ibreatheimhungry.com might be helpful for you. There are a lot of recipes there that I have personally tried and enjoyed.

Best of luck
  • gocyndigo
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    Can I just be real with your guys for a minute....

The ONLY people who NEED to low carb are people under 10% bodyfat. and it is a CYCLE not a permanent lifestyle change. It is done to prepare for a BB contest or cutting weight for a sport like boxing.

Actually that is not true at all. Some people have health issues that make cutting out excess carbohydrates and sugars a mindful and healthy choice. If blood sugar is an issue educated and directed dietary "tweaking" with carbohydrates and sugars can become a GREAT choice.

The trick as with ANY diet is to have an exit strategy once you achieve your loss goals. For those restricting calories and fats, you are just as susceptible to re-gaining as anybody else. Add too many calories or too much fat back, you'll gain back weight just as fast as people who resume carbohydrates after having restricted them.

Low carb actually has a reasonably attainable "exit" and maintenance strategy. A person begins adding carbohydrates. preferably from healthy whole foods or vegetables and fruits, back after achieving optimal weight loss UNTIL the scale moves up or blood sugar reacts again.

How you choose to lose weight should be based on your particular health needs and on what your body responds to best. Better yet it SHOULD be based on what you and your health care provider decide on together.

Regardless an exit strategy is essential to whichever program you choose. Low carb plans can go anywhere from ketogenic levels of carbs at 20 grams or less up to under a 100.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,563 Member
    Options

When I started calorie restricting (because that is what losing weight is, to a tee) my highly carby items naturally fell by the wayside in general and I have gradually worked my way to the point of attempting ketogenic diet. I've already lost 80+ lbs, but I feel like it fits the way I like to eat anyway.

To each their own.

• catherinestrongg
    catherinestrongg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    High carbs are the worst enemy for slim people, As i interested keto diet i want to say that: Keto or low carb diet is best way for weight loss. You can find low carb diet lists, weight loss program or something like this on the internet, they are many sources. Just you need to some research for this. Now I'm following and applying this keto diet plan ideas: ketogenicdietmenuplan.com/keto-diet-plan/ So when i get result good or bad, i will inform you again. If you are trying something about that, share your experience for all of us..
  • maerosebyelick751
    maerosebyelick751 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had to do low carb when I had gestational diabetes. If your use to having carbs in your meals like I was the change was really hard for me. I cried going grocery shopping. Eventually I learned how to go with it. I ate whole wheat everything, lots of meat, and veges.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    @thomas_odell hopefully you have found answers to your questions from October 2014. Best of luck OP.