PMS eating

Options
Airbear3
Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
any tips on stopping the binge that comes 2 weeks out of the month? its the week beefore that kills me gained 3 lbs in the last 3 days and consumed anything not nailed down. can't get motivated to work out so i don't and insteaad cram in my mouth whatever! feeling frustrated! HELP!

Replies

• loseweight1971
    Options
    Hi there i am suffering too. I am in exactly the same place as you, three mars bars in less than 24hrs ridiculous! I have heard that having high fibre and wholemeal pasta etc, supposed to stop the cravings. if yr body is saying it wants sweet things dont fight it, it will only make things worse! Some of the weight will be water retention too, so dont give yourself a hard time.
  • Airbear3
    Options
    i don't fight the cravings at all! i normally would have the bad that i want log it and move on but this time of the month...i flat out don't care! i won't just have the one candy bar i'll have the 3 and then some. i wonder if men have any of these drawbacks? thanks for the tips i'll try them out...couldn't hurt anymore then what i do to myself!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am the same way! It's like I can't stop shoving things in my mouth and my hunger is insatiable! I've found bumping up my protein helps but I'm also going to start eating my maintenance calories during that week. I think I'm just fooling myself if I try to stay at the calories MFP set for me, it just doesn't work!
  • heidipierce
    heidipierce Posts: 10
    Options
    i do the same thing, and then i get really upset at myself about it. it's comforting in a way to see that i'm not alone! what i tried this month was to "allow" myself--without ANY guilt--one big indulgence. for instance, yesterday, i ate ten cookies. and by allowing it, i didn't feel so guilty afterwards, and today i feel better and back on track. i think for me it's the negative patterns of feeling guilty and then thinking, "well, i've already blown it. i might as well keep eating whatever i want."

i also identified that when i start blowing through everything in my cupboard and fridge, it's because what i'm eating isn't satisfying me. it's usually not what i'm really craving. so i thought long and hard and realized that i really wanted crunchy cookies, so i went and bought some reduced fat nilla wafers. i ate a serving of those, and they hit the spot, so i didn't keep eating my way through the kitchen. hope it helps!
  • Airbear3
    Options
    thats it i've already blown it i might as well blow it right up!
  • redbag
    redbag Posts: 4
    Options
    I am way too old to have those type of cravings but not too old to remember. Whenever I do get cravings of any kind now I either try to sleep or exercise. Since exercise is the better choice get out and walk if nothing else. I know it is early but you will feel better
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    In the past week I have upped my protein (130+ daily and lowered my carbs). It helps with the cravings so I don't end up giving in.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain too... I could almost whack someone over the head to steal their sandwich!!:laugh: I have found that adding legumes (chick peas, red beans, and soy beans especially) to my diet really helps! It gives me the extra iron and protein (plus a ton a essential vitamins and minerals) I need. Another thing I do to cope: exercise more to eat more! Guilt-free! (almost :wink: ) During PMS I crave salty, crunchy and sweet things... One of my favourite snacks that falls into all three categories is low-fat peanut butter on plain rice cakes with a piece of low-fat cheese: a good source of protein too!

Hope this helps!:ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • Airbear3
    Options
    thanks some new tips to try! hope it works!
  • mskon
    mskon Posts: 64
    Options
    I am currently eating the world. I was fine until late last night when I felt like I hadn't eaten in days. I had sugar-free peanut butter cups and a huge bowl of ice cream. My husband was looking for a bite, but uhhh wasn't happening. I also noticed I drink less water during my before week. So try upping that if you're finding yourself low in water intake.
    :smile:
  • healthykae
    healthykae Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat BAD food versus good food. Not necessarily too much, just unhealthier than I ever would during my non-pms time. I really let my body do what it wants during this time, does anyone else do that?
  • megan4pr
    megan4pr Posts: 12
    Options
    I comsume soo much chocolate at this time. I started getting crest white strips and just sticking them in when I want to eat. Also, Weight Watchers ice cream is amazing.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I get that way too. I just get CRAZY hungry. Just put good choices in front of you...fruits and carrots and celery and keep the chocolate at bay.

1. Plan your meals
    2. Eat 4-5 smaller meals to keep your hunger pangs at a minimum.
    3. Drink A LOT OF WATER.
  • DarthNox
    Options
    Just found this threat... ugh, thank god I'm not alone. I weigh in tomorrow, my first weigh in, and I'm so nervous. I'm so bloated, and have had two bad days this week where I went over because I want to eat everything. Heaven help us!