Fellow hypothyroid people

Options
2»

Replies

• maerosebyelick751
    maerosebyelick751 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I took them out a long time ago but didn't notice much of a difference. I may try it again. I just have my good days and bad days with it.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. I've heard myths that certain food like peanuts or sesame make thyroid worse. Thoughts?

I've heard the same with regards to:

Soy;
    Peanuts;
    Millet;
    Bamboo shoots; and
    RAW Cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts and cabbage)

It's also not good to consume dairy products or high fibre items close to the time that you take your thyroid meds, as they affect the absorption.

I think some of these things may affect some people more than others depending on how severe the hypothyroidism is and how much one has to be supplemented.

I have heard the same and have definitely noticed that when I eat a lot of soy I get tired and achy. I limit peanuts and peanut butter in favor of almond and sunflower butters. A little peanut if it's all I have in the house.

Otherwise I just try to eat the cruciferous veggies cooked, spinach as well.

I actually just recently learned about the calcium connection. Try to limit your intake of calcium and high fiber foods to about 3 hrs after you take your meds, then have at it!
  • maerosebyelick751
    maerosebyelick751 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'll try all of this out!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't think that being hypothyroid had much effect on my weight loss. When I started eating less, I lost weight. I was already exercising. It will work for you too, especially if you take your medication, and stay on top of your blood tests. I've never worried about eating crucifereous vegetables or soy. If my TSH level goes up because I eat them, and I doubt that it will, my doctor will adjust my thyroxine dosage accordingly.