Shirataki

Options
Mon 05/30/11 10:24 PM
Came across a product called Miracle Noodle. Claims to have no calories or carbs. Thought the price was a bit high after adding shipping so did some homework and found the same product under a more generic name. http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/jfc-white-shirataki-noodles. Skeptical I ordered 5 7oz packages and paid shipping.

These noodles are FANTASTIC! Come packaged in water. Take 2 minutes to boil and have no calories or net carbs. First I tried them with pasta sauce. Made 14oz and covered. Not only did they maintain their integrity but they actually soaked up the flavor and tasted awesome. Only downside is I think I ate to much because they seemed to expand in my stomach causing me to feel over full. Then today I cooked a 7oz bag and added two different kinds of cheese and tablespoon of I Can't believe its not butter and WOW!!! These noodles are amazing!

The only downside I found with this noodle is when you first open the package, the water has a fishy smell to it that's no longer detectable after boiling.

Wednesday, I plan to take the remaining 14oz of pasta and make a stir fry.

If you buy $100 or more from the company they waive the shipping charges making the cost for the noodles worth it. So far I only ordered the 7oz packs but they can be bought in 16oz packs as well. Just one word of caution, you think you can eat as much of this noodle as you would regular pasta but after you eat you will feel more full.

Check them out...

John

Replies

• allybtucker
    allybtucker Posts: 91
    Options
    I live in Florida, and you can get those at Publix grocery stores and Mother Earth. They are tofu shiratake, which is a combo of the root and tofu. I've never had the straight shiratake ones. They are stinky straight out of the package, and a little rubbery for my taste, but I have a buddy that loves loves loves them. Everyone should give them a try, they're a great alternative.
  • darkmark
    darkmark Posts: 2
    Options
    Sounds awesome - I am going to my local huge asian market this weekend - normally I buy Soy Noodles but I'll try these too
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not too over eat them. Our wonderful US government has made it legal for companies to claim "zero calorie" when that isn't really true. If they can cut down the portion size listed on the package so that it has less than 5 calories, then they can say it is calorie free.

I am NOT trying to persuade you not to eat it, cause it sounds wonderful to me, just be careful that you don't over eat a bunch of it thinking that it is like a free food or something.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lots of stores carry them, try perhaps Whole Foods or any grocery store with a "natural" section. I agree though, the fishy smell is off-putting..I didn't like them. But maybe I will try them out again soon.
  • moffee01
    moffee01 Posts: 68
    Options
    I bought my first ones at the asian market yesterday for 1.05 a pack. Havent tried them yet, Kinda scared about smell and texture LOL. Maybe Ill be brave enough tomorrow!