Cheat days

How does everyone feel about cheat days? Is it necessary in order to keep your body guessing or an excuse to eat badly? Right now I really want a burger, but I won't get one. I'm at the beginning of my journey and don't feel like I deserve one yet.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have nothing against a maintenance day now and then. I have them and log them and think they are good for me mentally. I'm not a fan of blowout binge days, though. That, for me, would be a good way to erase weeks of progress.
  • shellcheri
    shellcheri Posts: 12 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have nothing against a maintenance day now and then. I have them and log them and think they are good for me mentally. I'm not a fan of blowout binge days, though. That, for me, would be a good way to erase weeks of progress.

Exactly! Good point!
  • drew87d
    drew87d Posts: 21 Member
    I would suggest a cheat meal and not a cheat day. Plan it in advance and stick to the plan. It will help to diverge you in the face of other cravings. And try to fit the meal into your daily calories. Opt for a homemade burger with a hearty salad without fries and a pop.
  • drew87d
    drew87d Posts: 21 Member
    Good luck :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I hate the word "cheat" meal, or day. You have options. You can have a whole burger and fries-log it and make it fit into your goal, you can allow yourself a maintenance day or surplus and expect not to lose at the same rate that week, you can eat half the burger and a salad instead of fries. It's your decision. Just be aware of the data and the results.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Yesterday I had a burger for lunch and a supper of baked Brie, breaded pork bites and cheese-stuffed risotto balls (all high calorie appetizers) with wine. I stayed pretty close to my calorie goal by keeping the portions small. I don't consider that cheating, but I wouldn't want to eat like that too often because it's not nutritionally sound and my tummy was a bit off this morning.
    Personally, I like eating like that once in a while (one meal a week maybe) just so I don't feel deprived, but also so I appreciate how much better I feel when I eat more veggies and less fat.
  • ElectroJay
    ElectroJay Posts: 44 Member
    We can have cheat meals, but not cheat days.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I don't have cheat days because I eat what I fancy anyway but just make it fit into my day.
    I only have a cheat meal on special occasions and even then I exercise to reduce the damage.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    I just take each day as it comes. I don't have a set routine. I probably have over eaten couple of days a month no were near as bad as I used too. No matter what I always log it in good or bad. I have been logging in now for 189 days and lost 3st 9 lb and as you can see not done me any harm xx
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    drew87d wrote: »
    I would suggest a cheat meal and not a cheat day. Plan it in advance and stick to the plan. It will help to diverge you in the face of other cravings. And try to fit the meal into your daily calories. Opt for a homemade burger with a hearty salad without fries and a pop.
    arditarose wrote: »
    I hate the word "cheat" meal, or day. You have options. You can have a whole burger and fries-log it and make it fit into your goal, you can allow yourself a maintenance day or surplus and expect not to lose at the same rate that week, you can eat half the burger and a salad instead of fries. It's your decision. Just be aware of the data and the results.

These. I also dislike the word "cheat" in referring to meals or days. There's nothing to cheat about food. Weight loss is largely a battle of the mind, and associating certain foods with the word "cheat" can bring negative feelings anytime you might slip up and eat foods designated for cheat days.
    Still, at the end of the day, you know yourself best, so it's up to you. I personally don't save my calories for an excess day or have a day of maintenance (aka "cheat days"). If I have that odd craving for something sweet, I edit or plan to fit it in my daily calorie allowance. Pre-planning treats is especially helpful to do for days surrounding TOM, when you may be more likely to have cravings.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    just take each day as it comes. I don't have a set routine. I probably have over eaten couple of days a month no were near as bad as I used too. No matter what I always log it in good or bad. I have been logging in now for 189 days and lost 3st 9 lb and as you can see not done me any harm xx

Agree with this totally.

Personally if I want a burger I have one. I make it fit in my calories, even if that means increasing the number of calories I have that day. Going over a couple of hundred calories a few times a month is better than feeling deprived and binging, then giving up. Which is what I've done in the past.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    I feel you can enjoy in moderation. I am maintaining now...but still have to apply the same rule to my eating habits. Just be realistic and know if you over-allow then you'll experience a set back. But I've found as long as you make adjustments somewhere else (more exercise, less intake one day) it balances out.

• Rytic
    Rytic Posts: 2 Member
    For me its a requirement, it has a huge impact on your metabolism if you are sticking to a strict diet. The trick is not to go over board, and i normally cut my calories an extra 100 a day so that i can have extra calories on the MEAL, its not a day, its a meal. It resets my metabolism, i have noticed over a period of two to three weeks my metabolism will fall off and i become stagnate a cheat meal speeds it back up and i can see a difference so i make sure i get one a week in now! Everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. I pre-pack all my meals and stick to a very strict calorie and macro range so test the waters and see what works for you.
  • shellcheri

Cheat meal is probably best. I hear of some people that just binge out on the worst kind of food.
  • shellcheri
    neldabg wrote: »

These. I also dislike the word "cheat" in referring to meals or days. There's nothing to cheat about food. Weight loss is largely a battle of the mind, and associating certain foods with the word "cheat" can bring negative feelings anytime you might slip up and eat foods designated for cheat days.
    Still, at the end of the day, you know yourself best, so it's up to you. I personally don't save my calories for an excess day or have a day of maintenance (aka "cheat days"). If I have that odd craving for something sweet, I edit or plan to fit it in my daily calorie allowance. Pre-planning treats is especially helpful to do for days surrounding TOM, when you may be more likely to have cravings.

I think my biggest issue is that I always eat fast food. It's my default. I've only been on this program for 4 days, so a burger at this point I feel like is hurt more than help.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    shellcheri wrote: »

I think my biggest issue is that I always eat fast food. It's my default. I've only been on this program for 4 days, so a burger at this point I feel like is hurt more than help.

Personally, I'd give it at least a couple weeks, if not a month or more.

I stuck to the diet like glue for the first 4 month ... until I reached my first weight goal. Then I took a 1-month diet break and travelled on holiday during that too. During that diet break, I discovered that my tastes had changed and I couldn't handle the old foods I used to eat. I tried bits of this and that ... and then found myself selecting salads and steamed veggies!!

When I got back, I resumed the diet again for another 4 months, and then as I got really close to my next goal, started taking diet break weekends every other weekend. I'm now on another 1-month diet break and plan to resume again mid-Jan to just touch things up a bit.

That said, I did include "yummy" food in my diet ... the more I exercised, the more I could eat. :)

• shellcheri
    Machka9 wrote: »
    shellcheri wrote: »

Personally, I'd give it at least a couple weeks, if not a month or more.

I stuck to the diet like glue for the first 4 month ... until I reached my first weight goal. Then I took a 1-month diet break and travelled on holiday during that too. During that diet break, I discovered that my tastes had changed and I couldn't handle the old foods I used to eat. I tried bits of this and that ... and then found myself selecting salads and steamed veggies!!

When I got back, I resumed the diet again for another 4 months, and then as I got really close to my next goal, started taking diet break weekends every other weekend. I'm now on another 1-month diet break and plan to resume again mid-Jan to just touch things up a bit.

That said, I did include "yummy" food in my diet ... the more I exercised, the more I could eat. :)

Thanks! That makes me feel better, it's a long a head of me, but I'm ready.
  • caliiifornia
    caliiifornia Posts: 10 Member
    Personally I like to do a cheat day/meal once a week.. (Whatever I feel up to) and it usually ends up between 3000-3500 calories. The other 6 days I keep under 1700. And that's what works for me :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    I never gave up anything totally, just changed frequencies and portions.

In fact, most of my calories from today were two hamburgers (home-grilled, not fast food). Nothing wrong with them as long as they fit your goals. I do fast food about twice a month, still working it in to my calories.

Apart from particular special occasions (birthdays, weddings, etc.) I make my calorie goals with high regularity. Part of the reason I can do that is not excluding foods I would otherwise crave.

For me, it's not a cheat or anything - it IS part of my diet plan as long as I can make my overall calorie goal and do well enough on my other goals (protein mainly).
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    I just fit in a snack/desert every day. Keeps me on track knowing I get a treat at the end of the day. But I've got to hit my protein, fat and fiber first.