A very random post

Options
I just got done arguing with people in the fitness community on the internet and it really struck me how bad things are.

I wanted to mention some things. This post might be controversial but that's ok. Discussion is great.

Obesity is a complex condition. There are physiological components to it. There are environmental and socioeconomic components to it. There are genetic components.

The obese single mother of 3 who works more than one job to try and keep food on the table doesn't have the same challenges that the 20 year old male had when he went from 15% to 10% bodyfat so he could show of his abs on instagram and talk about how "you fat people just need to eat less and move more".

He has it easier than many of you do.
I have it easier than many of you do.

And anyone suggesting otherwise, is so full of *kitten* that they shouldn't be giving advice.

Having obesity is a challenging condition and if we look at statistics, it's not an easy thing to overcome.

None of this removes personal responsibility. You HAVE to learn how to make good choices. You HAVE to keep pushing. You HAVE to keep making efforts to improve.

You will feel beat up. You will feel defeated. You will want to quit.

You will cry.
You will be ridiculed by society because people hate themselves and because they hate themselves, they want you to hate yourself too.

Please don't.
Please don't hate your body.
It's the only body you have and I promise you, it's remarkable.

Love it. Treat it with respect. And through that respect, do your best to keep pushing.

Surround yourself with people who care about you, and people who will lift you up and encourage you instead of bring you down.

Replies

• Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Very nice.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Great post for the new year!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Now I'm all teary
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Random like.
  • bestisyettocome2016
    Options
    Not random at all. This post has great reminders for all of us.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Great piece of writing
  • anasnewbody
    anasnewbody Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sadly you spoke the truth. There is not one "size fits all".
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Please don't. Please don't hate your body. It's the only body you have and I promise you, it's remarkable. Love it. Treat it with respect.
    I always find it so surprising, and so sad, that people show up at MFP in such large numbers proclaiming how much they hate themselves and hate their bodies. If it's really true they feel this way, and this isn't just an attention seeking ploy, the likelihood of being able to make any bodily improvement, or self improvement, is nil. Personally I think this I-hate-myself-I-hate-my-body routine is media parroting. I work in healthcare and when people really feel this way, the first thing they do is stop eating, since it's an easy, passive form of self destruction. I think anyone who makes an effort to reach out, to make changes, to at least try, does not actually hate themselves, or their body. And yes, as you mention, everyone only has one body. And when it starts falling apart, piece by piece, that's when the value of the body becomes immediately apparent. Often when its too late.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think there are many people who absolutely hate their body but keep using food as an emotional crutch and avoid looking at their bodies. I hate my body, I hate the flab, the cellulite, the pain and the wobbles. But I have a weight problem because I overeat and don't exercise. Now I'm not able to exercise, but I can start to rethink my relationship with food and try to stick to my daily calorie limit, in order to improve my body.