Drinking Water

Options
janecl
janecl Posts: 121 Member
I wasn't sure what category to ask for this help in but here goes. I am addicted to Dt. Mt. Dew. I know that artificial sweeteners and aspartame are terrible for us. I get tired of plain water but want to get off the soda and drink the water. What alternatives have everyone found to help them be successful at this goal? Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I really like la croix sparkling water. It's carbonated and flavored, but doesn't have any sweeteners at all. It's great for when you want something fizzy without the soda. Canada Dry also makes a similar product that is less expensive and is good. I think Dasani does too. There are also still waters with flavor and no sweeteners; just look at the ingredients list. One brand is "hint", but it's a bit expensive. You could also just put some citrus fruit or a splash of cranberry juice (natural cranberry juice has very little sugar) in your water. I've put frozen fruit in mine and had little treat after it melted. Unsweetened tea is a great option too. Hope this helps.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetener isn't that bad for you. Honestly I'd worry more about the acidity and it's effect on the teeth.

How many diet sodas a day are we talking here? If it's just one, don't worry about it. If it's more than one, maybe try to cut down over time?
  • NandJTeam
    NandJTeam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    janecl wrote: »
    I wasn't sure what category to ask for this help in but here goes. I am addicted to Dt. Mt. Dew. I know that artificial sweeteners and aspartame are terrible for us. I get tired of plain water but want to get off the soda and drink the water. What alternatives have everyone found to help them be successful at this goal? Thanks for your help in advance!
    janecl wrote: »

• NandJTeam
    NandJTeam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit in the water makes it taste way better. Im coming off a sprite addiction myself ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    There is no proof that artificial sweeteners are "terrible" for us. If you personally feel like you are drinking too much, try drinking less rather than completely giving it up. I like to make flavored green tea at night and put it in a water bottle in the fridge to take to work with me the next day. You can get a fruit-infuser water bottle or pitcher to get some fruit flavor in your water. But there is nothing wrong with having a diet soda every once in awhile.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Try liquid stevia. There's a line called Sweet Drops with 20 assorted flavors.

• Aluminumx
    Aluminumx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners really aren't that bad for you. There are only a hand full of studies (donrle on rats). Whats bad is all the salt in thwle diat drinks.

With that said, I suffer from a soft drink addiction to. I find it impossible to stop. No matter how many times I try, no matter how longbI stop for. I keep comming back to it. My drink of choice is Coca Cola. When I am on I drink anywhere between 2 - 4 litters a day. This is where most of my weight comes from. Its a habit I just can not kick. I want to but I just cannot.

So my only alternative is drink diat. Right now I have found a unhealthy balance of drinking just one diet energy drink. For now, my body seems happy. But I do know at any time I will, consciously or subconsciously reach for, and drink more, or have a coke.

I hate it to. I hate it so much. I want to quite. I want to like water, but it just does not taste good at all to me. As it stands I force myself to drink at least on of the biggest water bottles I can find a day, no matter what I can't seem to get myself to like water or drink it unless I force myself to drink it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Aluminumx wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners really aren't that bad for you. There are only a hand full of studies (donrle on rats). Whats bad is all the salt in thwle diat drinks.

With that said, I suffer from a soft drink addiction to. I find it impossible to stop. No matter how many times I try, no matter how longbI stop for. I keep comming back to it. My drink of choice is Coca Cola. When I am on I drink anywhere between 2 - 4 litters a day. This is where most of my weight comes from. Its a habit I just can not kick. I want to but I just cannot.

So my only alternative is drink diat. Right now I have found a unhealthy balance of drinking just one diet energy drink. For now, my body seems happy. But I do know at any time I will, consciously or subconsciously reach for, and drink more, or have a coke.

I hate it to. I hate it so much. I want to quite. I want to like water, but it just does not taste good at all to me. As it stands I force myself to drink at least on of the biggest water bottles I can find a day, no matter what I can't seem to get myself to like water or drink it unless I force myself to drink it.

A can of soda has less than 75mg of sodium. Less than a chicken breast.

OP, I drink a can of Diet Dr. Pepper every evening. I don't do alcohol, tea, or coffee, so this is my preference. If you want to drink more water, buy some flavor enhancers (Mio, Crystal Light) or sparkling water to help you out.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have always really struggled to drink enough water because water is so boring so I got a infuser water bottle and every night I load the chamber up with whatever fruits, herbs, and veggies I want. Lately I have been loving lemon ginger but you can really make any kind of water you like. I just let it sit in the fridge overnight to soak and it is good to go. Mine is 32 ounces which means that I get through at least that much water a day now. Good luck!!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you hate the taste of tap water, consider a filter like PUR or Brita. Or even buy gallons of spring water from walmart.

I don't drink Diet Mt. Dew b/c it contains brominated vegetable oil (BVO). I just don't like that stuff in my body.