Bean recipes

Options
SomeNights246
SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
I don't eat beans much, but am trying to include them in my diet. I would love a few decent bean recipes. Main courses, side dishes, desserts (I seem to remember that there's a way to use them for brownies or something?), anything you got.

Replies

• M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I slow cook beans once a week (every 7-10 days). I started a new batch this morning.

4 Cups Red Kidney Beans, (cover in water, soak 8-30 hours to "de-gas") I soak the night before. Some people skip this step.

3 Medium Onions, chopped
    2 Bell Peppers, Chopped (I used a Red and Yellow)
    3 Fresh Jalapenos, Chopped
    2 Clove of Fresh Garlic, minced

1 Box of Beef Stock
    2 Tablespoon of Butter
    1-2 Cups of Rice or Barley. This week I am using Pearl Wheat. This soaks up the moisture at the end, and bonus fiber!

Misc Seasonings (I used 2 tbls of dried mustard, paprika and a pinch of Celery salt and pepper. I skip salt as the stock tends to be salty enough)

I do a slow saute of the Onions, Bells, Jalapenos in the 2 tbls of butter. I add the minced garlic near the end, as it tends to burn or get bitter if added too early. This process usually takes me about an hour on medium low.

Once done with the saute, I put it in the slow cooker on the bottom. I think of it as "cooking up" into the beans.

Rinse beans that you pre-soaked in cold water to wash off any field soil etc. Pour into crock pot on top of the saute.

Add spices.

Pour beef stock over it all - it /should/ cover it all perfectly. If not, add a touch more water to just barely cover beans. Too much liquid does not hurt - you can always soak it up at end with rice or barley.

Cook on high for 8-10 hours. You may need to add liquid during cooking. I stir once at the 2 hour mark, then try to let it cook for another 5 before starting to worry about it needing to be stirred again.

At the 8-10 hour mark think about adding your rice (or wheat or grain or barley etc). 1-2 cups is usually all it takes.

I like my beans on the dryer side of things. Some people like them with a liquid base, more like a soup. I have seen recipes that people take 1 cup out, blend it with water and add and cook longer.

I usually get 8-10 servings depending on how much rice and saute i add. Usually each serving is about 200 cals of HIGH protein, HIGH fiber. My wife likes to scramble an egg and add a scoop of the beans to it. I like to eat them as is with Red Rooster Sauce and more jalapenos. I also like to mix a cup of them into salad. Its a fairly generic recipe and can be changed up at each and every step.

Enjoy!

\m/
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    minestrone soup
    lots of recipes to chose from.
    eg http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I like them in my salad, too, but that gets boring quickly if it's all I'm doing. I've also done black beans with Latin food. Definitely a fan of that.

I am a huge fan of peppers, of all forms, which is the first thing I noticed about the first recipe. Definitely going to have to give that a try. Do you suppose using a different kind of stock would alter the flavor too much? Will definitely be nice having recipes for a slow cooker, too.

Never thought about mixing them with eggs, but I do love my eggs. So, I'll definitely have to try that, too.

And mmm minestrone soup. Don't know how I didn't think of that. Bookmarking the link!
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I do slow-cooked black beans, much the same way as the poster above does kidney beans, but I add a pork tenderloin as well.
    Recently, I've been making 9-bean soup. It's the Costco mix, made according to the package directions except I add Ham, bacon or Italian sausage. Also more tomatoes and onion.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    I like them in my salad, too, but that gets boring quickly if it's all I'm doing. I've also done black beans with Latin food. Definitely a fan of that.

I am a huge fan of peppers, of all forms, which is the first thing I noticed about the first recipe. Definitely going to have to give that a try. Do you suppose using a different kind of stock would alter the flavor too much? Will definitely be nice having recipes for a slow cooker, too.

Never thought about mixing them with eggs, but I do love my eggs. So, I'll definitely have to try that, too.

And mmm minestrone soup. Don't know how I didn't think of that. Bookmarking the link!

We love black beans here too. My wife says I eat "boring"... the last 3 months its been Red Kidney Beans. I think once I run out (we buy in bulk) I'm going to do Black Bean, or maybe this 9 bean I have heard about.

We usually add a meat too (pork most times, but turkey, chicken, beef all work), I have been trying to avoid adding meat to my beans and lean as close to vegetarian as possible. We aren't vegetarian, but I figure if I make something that I like and it happens to be, that's a good thing, right?

Stock; I find Chicken stock to be bland. This isn't bad if you plan on adding the beans to something, but I pre-package the beans for lunch and eat as is most days out in the field, then I get bored of them. Beef seems to retain a more flavorful bite in my opinion, with the amount of peppers I add, it has a taco flavor. I have used tomato soup and chicken noodle soup before as stock - the soups tend to have WAY more sodium then stock but add a depth in flavor.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try burrito bowls! Layer of quinoa (the batch of quinoa is best mixed with one can of diced tomatoes and taco seasoning), layer of black beans, fajita style grilled veggies and salsa on top! It's my current favorite.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I Eat them in soups and as a side dish.
    One of my favourite ways to prepare it:
    Saute onions,peppers,carrots,celery, (and other veggies as you wish) put in tomatoes or tomato puree and cooked or canned beans last 5 minutes. I also Like to add some chilli flakes to make it spicy. Its great as a side dish for meat or poultry. :)
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Oh that looks mouth watering good. I love cilantro...
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I slow cooked black beans today. Just plain old water and beans, I keep them in a jar in the fridge and just add them to whatever I am eating. Eggs, salads, veggies & meat, anything. I'll spice them up when I add it to my meals, thats why I leave them alone when I batch cook.

My Whole Food Life is a vegan blogger and has bunch of great bean recipes. I love her Three Bean & Sweet Potatoe Chili, which I plan on making this weekend for lunches next week. She also has black bean burgers, brownies i think, and some lentil recipes if your're interested.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love sofrito! It adds a sweet and tangy flavor to the beans.soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/10/spaghetti-squash-with-sofrito-and-beans.html

Spaghetti%2BSquash%2Bwith%2BSofrito%2Band%2BBeans5.jpg
  • persimmonplace97
    persimmonplace97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I plan to try these soon as I can get to the store. http://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies-gluten-free-418692
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    You can also puree them and use them as a dip (seasoned however you like), or puree them (especially white beans) and use them to make "cream" soups. If you bake (or make pancakes or the like), you can substitute some chickpea flour or other bean flour for part of the regular flour. There are also traditional foods made from chickpea flour: Puppodums (Indian), socca (crepe-like thing; I think it's Italian), panella (Italian snack or sandwich filler). Crunchy chickpeas (commercial or make your own) are a good snack, too. Red beans are used in confections in Asian cooking.