Advice?

Options
Hi! I'm new here . My goal is to loose weight. The only problem is I'm so picky which makes it a problem to eat healthy. I need some tips and ideas on how to keep me on the right track. I started a diet last year and I could not keep up with the eating . So I just quit.
Another question ?
Is it possible to just smaller my portions and work out to loose some weight?

Thanks Everyone

Replies

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Totally possible. I'm a very picky vegetarian and I have lost 5 stone and kept it off for over 3 years. I lost my first 4 stone on Slimming World and finding things to eat could be a challenge but it could be done. I found a few simple meals that I liked or didn't mind and made sure I always had these in. I didn't mind dull as I had often eaten that way anyway but I swapped supermarket pizza for beans or spaghetti hoops on wholemeal toast, made my own tomato sauce base in big batches and froze them so I had pasta sauce or chilli. If it's something you don't want to give up have a smaller portion. I still have pizza but now I have a couple of slices with side salad or veggies. I also choose lower cal thin and crispy pizza rather than deep pan with extra cheese. Think about where the cals come from and what you don't notice if you miss it, e dressings and toppings or drinks. Herbs and spices and low cal dressings can gives great flavour with many less cals than a pour over sauce or dip. Spicy beans and chilli flakes make great chilli for lot less cals than pre made chilli.
    I also buy funsize chocolate bars as I have the will power to only eat one, but would never leave any.

Good luck.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is to stock your freezer with prepared meals you can just pop in the oven. I used to fill little disposable trays with meat and veggies I liked, sprinkle on seasoning, and store them in my freezer when my husband was deployed to make sure I didn't cave in and get fast food every night. It took maybe ten minutes to prepare a whole week of dinners, and all I had to do was let it cook for an hour or so. No work, no mess, very little cleanup, and *no excuses* for not eating right. You don't have to have them every night, but if you're tempted by something bad but easy, you can grab that instead.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, just eat less and move more. Take a multi vitamin if you don't eat veg.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here . My goal is to loose weight. The only problem is I'm so picky which makes it a problem to eat healthy. I need some tips and ideas on how to keep me on the right track. I started a diet last year and I could not keep up with the eating . So I just quit.
    Another question ?
    Is it possible to just smaller my portions and work out to loose some weight?

Thanks Everyone

Yes, you can eat smaller portions of your current food. Moving more is great, but technically not necessary.

BUT, learning to make other changes would be beneficial too. Veggies are generally high volume and low calorie. I find that adding veggies to a high calorie dish (like mac & cheese, or alfredo)....essentially gives me a larger portion.

Think about what changes you are willing to make for a lifetime. Keeping the weight off is hard work.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Caveat: I cook/prep 99% of what I eat at home. On average, I eat (and even drink) out less than once a month.

Given that, yes, it is possible to lose weight just eating smaller portions. Otherwise, I wouldn't be here. (: And that's without "working out", but everyone's different. I've decided eating around 1600 calories at present is an acceptable trade off for me. YMMV as you may want/need more volume/calories.