Dooing good, but my sodium intake sucks.

Options
Since I got my Garmin activity tracker I've been doing great. It been reminding me to get up and move. And motivating me to eat well. Sadly I am still taking in to much sodium. Even when I get salt free and reduce sodium items. I still end up going over my limit. The only way to stay within my goal seems to be when I sacrifice of other nutrition goals.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    People are going to ask you what your limit is and why you have this limit. They are also going to tell you to avoid processed foods.
    An avocado has no sodium.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason that you need to watch your sodium intake?

If not, then I'd recommend paying attention to your major macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs) first and then just try to cut down on sodium where you can.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking the salt.
    Or, if you do want to lower your salt, start cooking a few meals each week from home with fresh (not packaged) foods.
  • Aluminumx
    Aluminumx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Stop tracking the salt.
    Or, if you do want to lower your salt, start cooking a few meals each week from home with fresh (not packaged) foods.

I always cook fresh (side effect of a family cooks and chefs).
  • Aluminumx
    Aluminumx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Do you have a medical reason that you need to watch your sodium intake?

If not, then I'd recommend paying attention to your major macros (Protein, Fat, Carbs) first and then just try to cut down on sodium where you can.

Not yet, but its more about me being anal about reaching and maintaining my goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I dont stree sodium, especially if you are cooking from scratch and don't have a medical necessity to track it. And if you are working out, you will be required to eat more. Personally, I focus on calories then protein and fibet and allow carbs and fats fall out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I have no idea how much salt I am eating. I am paying attention to other things.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for limiting your sodium intake, there shouldn't be a need to worry about it.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How much is too much sodium? Believe it or not, routinely going under 2200~mg of sodium can cause problems.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I dont stree sodium, especially if you are cooking from scratch and don't have a medical necessity to track it. And if you are working out, you will be required to eat more. Personally, I focus on calories then protein and fibet and allow carbs and fats fall out.

This is how I approach it. Since I don't eat lots of packaged/canned stuff, I don't really worry about it (and I add salt happily when I'm cooking, although not at the table).

Here's an interesting piece with links to some others: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical reason for limiting your sodium intake, there shouldn't be a need to worry about it.

^^ that

i pay no attention to mine whatsoever lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you do worry about sodium, aiming for foods high in magnesium and potassium can help offset some of the effects.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What foods do you think you are getting too much sodium from?