Exercising with a pre-existing back condition

Options
Hi. Please can anyone give some advice? I have degenerative doc disease in 3 discs in my lumbar spine and I am wanting to lose weight through diet and exercise. The doctor has advised me not to do exercise that involves running as this could exacerbate the existing sciatica. Does anyone have any tips for a good cardiovascular workout and light weights programme . I have joined the gym and any help would be appreciated. I'm not the most confident at asking for help ie personal trainer in gym. Thank you x

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Could you see a physiotherapist to help you? I had/have some issues with my cervical vertebrae, and working with physio has helped reduce pain and rebalance soft tissues (muscles and ligaments) so that I could progressively increase my activities safely.
  • lizmertins
    lizmertins Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have only seen a physiotherapist through occupational health at work. I have been told that once the condition gets worse I may need to see one via gp but not yet. I'm thinking if I keep exercise low impact it will be ok for my back but I want to lose weight to help with this also and worry that if the exercise is not high enough impact it won't have the desired effect. Vicious circle I'm in I suppose x
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Start slow, find activities that you enjoy and listen to your body! I broke my back 3 years ago and have a metal 5 vertebrae fusion. I was told I was lucky to walk and would never run again. I started with swimming, progressed on to walking and for the past year have been running. Drs and physios advised against it, but running has helped me immensely with the daily pain I USED to have... I am not saying run, I am just saying find something you enjoy and go from there. Good luck xx
  • lizmertins
    Options
    Thank you ☺ Sadiecara that's really helpful. Xx
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    lizmertins wrote: »
    I have only seen a physiotherapist through occupational health at work. I have been told that once the condition gets worse I may need to see one via gp but not yet. I'm thinking if I keep exercise low impact it will be ok for my back but I want to lose weight to help with this also and worry that if the exercise is not high enough impact it won't have the desired effect. Vicious circle I'm in I suppose x

You don't need high impact cardio to lose weight. You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. That being said, exercise can certainly help you feel better physically if it is done in a manner that is safe, given your medical condition. Swimming is a great low impact place to start.
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    sadiecara wrote: »
    Start slow, find activities that you enjoy and listen to your body! I broke my back 3 years ago and have a metal 5 vertebrae fusion. I was told I was lucky to walk and would never run again. I started with swimming, progressed on to walking and for the past year have been running. Drs and physios advised against it, but running has helped me immensely with the daily pain I USED to have... I am not saying run, I am just saying find something you enjoy and go from there. Good luck xx
    Amazing - well done
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a preexisting back condition, emergency surgery to L5, S1 in 2008. I recommend walking and walking a lot. I remember walking did not bother my back in recovery so I walked everywhere. Also, if you can find a pool at a gym just do laps or if you can't swim just walk back and forth in the pool.
    But as other people noted, losing weight to alleviate the pressure on your back causing the sciatica all happens in the kitchen, you don't even have to exercise to lose weight...this is true. Although, I find exercise and eating right goes hand in hand.
  • lizmertins
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice
  • lizmertins
    Options
    My full message didn't post. Thank you everybody for your advice. It is really appreciated. I'll start with plan A. Using the app for food/calorie counting and a low impact exercise plan...fingers crossed! Thank you again xx
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    My full message didn't post. Thank you everybody for your advice. It is really appreciated. I'll start with plan A. Using the app for food/calorie counting and a low impact exercise plan...fingers crossed! Thank you again xx

Sounds like a great plan! I would also suggest that you read through some of the threads that have been stickied at the top of the getting started and general diet/weight loss forums entitled Most Helpful Posts. These contain a lot of great information to get you started and keep you focused. I would start with the ones on logging accurately, this is the area where people seem to have some of the greatest difficulties, especially because you will be more reliant on diet over exercise. You can do it!
  • lizmertins
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Sounds like a great plan! I would also suggest that you read through some of the threads that have been stickied at the top of the getting started and general diet/weight loss forums entitled Most Helpful Posts. These contain a lot of great information to get you started and keep you focused. I would start with the ones on logging accurately, this is the area where people seem to have some of the greatest difficulties, especially because you will be more reliant on diet over exercise. You can do it!

Brilliant thank you!
  • lizmertins
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »

That's looks good and simple too! Thanks xx
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a dancer. In college she injured her back falling down some stairs. We were literally days away from making a decision on surgery when one of her friends, who was a physical therapist, strongly discouraged her from surgery at such a young age. Instead she found a doctor that used a technique called the MacKenzie Method. It uses stretches and gentle exercise instead of surgery. http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/what-mckenzie-method-back-pain-and-neck-pain Ten years later, she's able to perform and actually has better flexibility than she did at 19.
  • lizmertins
    Options
    My daughter is a dancer. In college she injured her back falling down some stairs. We were literally days away from making a decision on surgery when one of her friends, who was a physical therapist, strongly discouraged her from surgery at such a young age. Instead she found a doctor that used a technique called the MacKenzie Method. It uses stretches and gentle exercise instead of surgery. http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/what-mckenzie-method-back-pain-and-neck-pain Ten years later, she's able to perform and actually has better flexibility than she did at 19.

Thank you for sharing this articles. I can see how doing this each day would help me everyday and not just for exercise. I'm an office worker and find I cease up with increased periods of sitting. Task breaks don't always help when it's day in day out. It's great that your daughter has recovered so well. Thank you for sharing your story with me xx
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hi. Please can anyone give some advice? I have degenerative doc disease in 3 discs in my lumbar spine and I am wanting to lose weight through diet and exercise. The doctor has advised me not to do exercise that involves running as this could exacerbate the existing sciatica. Does anyone have any tips for a good cardiovascular workout and light weights programme . I have joined the gym and any help would be appreciated. I'm not the most confident at asking for help ie personal trainer in gym. Thank you x

Try the recumbent bike in the gym (the one where you sit with your legs out in front of you) and see how that feels.
  • WitchyKisses
    WitchyKisses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have grade 4 Isthmic Spondylolisthesis. My doctor says that using a stationary bike or exercising under water, especially fully submerged up to my neck, are the only things I can do without causing further damage or causing pretty serious pain. So, I suggest those. Safety first.