Any one else on an SSRI?

Options
I am taking a generic Zoloft for depression and since I started it I have gained 10 lbs- I am only 5'1", so this is significant for me (I had to buy all new clothes- even my underwear didn't fit anymore). Before, I was considered heavy-normal weight (probably from muscle mass because I'm an athlete), but now the Dr's chart puts me at significantly over-weight. I have been consistent on mfp for almost a month now but have gained another pound. I suspect that this is because of the SSRI (depression medication), but it is demoralizing. Any one else out there dealing with this? Any tips to share?

Thanks.

Small&strong

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro 20mg for almost a year now...I lost weight, but not directly cause of the medication. It just helped me with the motivation to workout and take care of myself...and curbing the heavy drinking I was doing on that time. Made me nauseous in the beginning and I didn't want to eat for a week or 2.

I know it affects everyone differently. Is it affecting your appetite?
  • lisajuliette
    lisajuliette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been on Lexamil and a few other things for a little over 5 years. I gained around 10 lbs as well but I was already fairly overweight to start with. I decided to get my shizzle together and get down to a healthy weight. I do feel it's more difficult to lose weight being on the medication but I am definitely making progress. My advice would be to eat clean, eat at a deficit, exercise every day, and consult your doctor before making any drastic choices or changes. Just hang in there, don't worry about the scale right now, make all the right choices with your diet and exercise and the weight will come off, it may just take a little longer than you expected. Stay strong.
  • frasiergirlgetsfit
    Options
    I am having the same problem with a diff med. I have dysautonomia/POTS and have to take a beta blocker and an ssri to keep my heart from racing and keep my blood pressure up. Since being on the beta blocker I gained 14 lbs in 2 months after losing almost 50 lbs in the last 2ish years. It's likely because starting a new ssri makes some people really sleepy for the first month or so, which means you are likely moving less and burning fewer calories. You might want to adjust your calorie intake and try to pay attention to how much you are moving around and slowly try to increase activity
  • anna_smallNstrong
    Options
    Thanks- I'm definitely more tired. I'll give this a try.
  • anna_smallNstrong
    Options
    Oh, and yes, I crave carbs more than I used to. Trying to cut out sugar and starch but often failing and binging. Won't look at scale, I'll instead focus on the "eating clean and exercising". Is hard- depression not completely under control. Thanks, everyone.

• bburner
    bburner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was taking a low dose generic Prozac for PMDD 2 wks a month. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months. It was extremely discouraging; because I am very active & eat moderately healthy. In the last 2 months, I gradually stopped taking it & switched to natural supplements. So far, so good. I am still up 30 lbs but I am hoping with time that will drop. I would talk to your doctor. Taking one medication but being unhealthy in other areas of life doesn't make sense. I wish there was a medication that didn't have this side effect. I guess everyone is different. Good luck! :)
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bburner wrote: »
    I was taking a low dose generic Prozac for PMDD 2 wks a month. I gained 30 lbs in 6 months.

I also gained about 30 pounds during six months of Prozac.

I didn't try to lose weight while taking it so I can't comment on whether it was actively impeding weight loss, but after discontinuing it, I was able to return to my normal weight.

• ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was on an SSRI for several years. I gained 50 pounds in the first 6 months :# It worked okay for me but after a while the side effects became way too much to handle. The weight gain, a nonexistent sex drive, and an inability to feel emotions made me decide to stop. I've been on Wellbutrin 300mg for 2 months now and I'm feeling pretty good and have lost 10 pounds. Its not for everyone, as it has to be teamed with other medications if you suffer anxiety. I don't really have any tips on how to negate these effects but I wish you the best of luck
  • AnkeH82
    AnkeH82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft as well for a year. I gained about 7lbs on it. I was fairly slim beforehand so it was ok. Then I got pregnant & quit cold turkey and am now about another 12 lbs over that gain again 3 months after baby. Really hope I can keep the anxiety at bay with meds as I'd say the weight loss would be way slower/ non existent back on the drug ( will take if must) . Thankfully exercise and improved eating affect moods positively so hope I won't need them!
  • foofooboopeep
    foofooboopeep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to go on Zoloft for my ppd ust because I heard of weight gain being an issue. Well I ended up gaining 20 lbs in 5 months. For some reason I went from eating healthy(ish) to just eating crap.
  • sugargrammy45
    sugargrammy45 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon for a person to gain weight while on Zoloft so don't blame yourself so harshly. I am on Buspar and it works really, really well. Weight gain is not a side effect, thank God! And as one other person replied, I feel much better about myself. I must add though, that at times when I really feel good, I just want to eat. Gaining is always a possibility for me, but please, do talk to your Doctor about this. There are so many more medications available. You are worth the effort of checking this out. Wishing you the best . . .
  • Banphrionsa
    Banphrionsa Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just found this thread and super happy I did. I was on Zoloft for my PMDD and before that was trying other SSRI's. In 4 months I gained 40 pounds. I have less than 3 months before my wedding and I can't fit into my dress. I weaned myself off but now I have to try to get ride of 20 pounds. I'm slowly getting back my motivation but also battling with the affects from coming off of the Zoloft :(
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I was actually put on Zoloft because it was one of the few my doctor knew to be least likely to cause weight gain. Honestly if it made me gain any weight I didn't notice and all it did was help.
  • muggynights
    muggynights Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Different types of people will experience ssri's in different ways, but it may take a few months for your body/ brain to adjust to it. Also if you just started, your doctor may not have you at the full therapeutic dose as of yet.
  • muggynights
    muggynights Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm actually just coming off of Zoloft in the past 2 weeks, and it can take up to 6 weeks to get it completely out of my system. I was really motivated to work out when I was on it, but having problems now that I'm going off.
  • rhonda6375
    rhonda6375 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am on generic Zoloft. I am not sure if it caused my weight gain or not, but I am also on Abilify which can be an offender. I have had some depression in the last couple of weeks and am making myself exercise (once I was actually crying before I went in the gym!) but it really does help lift depression. I sometimes am going twice a day now to manage it, but it is not hurting me for sure since I have a lot to lose!
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Different types of people will experience ssri's in different ways, but it may take a few months for your body/ brain to adjust to it. Also if you just started, your doctor may not have you at the full therapeutic dose as of yet.

This, big time. Your body needs time to adjust to any SSRI or dosage of a SSRI. Also, do not be afraid to tell your Doctor about side effects of any kind. Different SSRIs can have different side effects, if any. Dosage/brand of SSRI and even when it is taken may need to be tweaked over a period of months.