Any advice on how to drink more of the H2O?

Options
Because carrying around a gallon of water is just not working.

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Carry around a reusable 20oz. bottle if the gallon is too heavy? There are tons of tips:

- Drink a glass at set intervals (like 4oz. every hour).
    - Drink 16oz. when you wake up and at each major meal.
    - Open your mouth wider.
    - Understand that a well-balanced diet will provide a lot of the hydration you need and you don't need to cram 8 glasses of water down your gullet every day. Just drink when you're thirsty.
    - Every time it rains, stand outside with your open and stare at the sky. Swallow occasionally.

These are some of the things I do.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why would you have to carry it around? School? Just carry small 2 bottles with you and drink them. Get water with your lunch at the cafeteria.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why would anybody need to carry around a gallon jug? If you work in an office/indoor setting, have a glass on your desk and refill it occasionally. If you work outdoors or are on the go all day, buy a Camelbak hydration bladder and carry/wear it. If you don't work or work at home, you're never more than a couple dozen steps away from a water faucet. In the gym, I have a 20 oz. bottle and they have a water fountain where I can refill it as necessary. The only time I've ever carried a gallon jug of water is from the car to the kitchen to put it away after buying it at a grocery store.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question? <shrugs>
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Stores sell some nice Camelbaks to use. Definitely better than a jug!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    11 oz mug or 16 oz Nalgene bottle of plain water, depending on if am in or out of the home. Add a tea bag or unsweetened instant iced tea as taste/desire (and calories since bagged tea requires added cream most of the time) dictates. Or hot chocolate. Or hot vanilla. Or whatever other drink is available/around and fits within the daily count. Keep one or the other vessel with me throughout the day as reasonable/practical and fill it back up when it's low/empty.

I'm averaging well over 64 oz most days by 10 PM (when I stop drinking liquids for the day so I'm not up at 3-4 a.m.) doing this.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Are you dehydrated? What makes you think that you need more water?
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    8 cups of water is only half a gallon for starters. I drink two glasses with each meal and whenever I'm thirsty. I've had no problem hitting 10-12 cups a day but then I'm a online student with a kitchen nearby. One thing I try to do is drink more water during daylight hours. That way I don't end up looking at MFP at night and wondering what happened all day. I also post before I eat or drink. That way I'm not tempted to overeat or skip water breaks. Good luck to you.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I just want to drink more water. A personal goal I guess. Not really for weight loss purposes. I think buying a medium size water bottle and refilling it throughout the day is a great idea! It will be a lot easier to do than the gallon.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Really? Refill a smaller bottle.

I like to add lemon, lime, orange or cucumber if im going to drink water (which i dont do often. Im a diet pop drinker...nearly all the time).
  • jbranham5
    jbranham5 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Then you will need to drink it.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    And if you don't have access to good tasting water, buy it in gallon jugs or filter your own. Much easier to meet your hydration goals with good tasting water. Costs at the most 1.00 a day if buying, less if filtering your own.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I have a couple pitchers of infused water in the fridge at all times. Some of my favorites are berries, mint, cucumbers, lemon, ginger, mix and match depending on my mood. Fill up portable water containers and go! I also drink quite a bit of herbal tea which increases my H2O intake.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Try a soda cup with a straw ... N put ice on it fill it up with water easy you will drink more water.. It's like when you drink soda you sip and then don't realize and you half way of a cup
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have 750ml Camelbak water bottle -- it is easy to take anywhere you go and I go through a full one pretty quickly.
    I also second using a cup with a straw, I drink more water those two ways than with regular glasses or trying to carry around a gallon of water.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I still find that starting out with a single big jug of water somewhere is the best visual reminder to drink more. I use that jug to refill smaller containers (bottle, glass, whatever). I have 1 big one at work and 1 at home. When I used to just refill my water glass from the sink, I wasn't drinking anywhere near as much as I am now.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use a 20 oz Rubbermaid water bottle. It has a nice snap lid that doesn't leak, if I accidentally knock it over. I fill it first thing in the morning because I like to drink water during and after my coffee. Usually I refill it once or twice during the workday depending on how thirsty I am. I refill it again when I get home. It's small enough that the water stays cool enough with ice before I finish it, but it's large enough that I don't have to refill it too often which is important because I'm a teacher with limited times to get water refills. I keep a few prepackaged bottles of water in my closet for days that I accidentally forget my water bottle.