Uncontrollable PMS/Hormonal Eating

Options
I'm looking for other women that have an uncontrollable appetite the week before their period. I can eat and exercise right all month and then screw up darting the week before my period. Sometimes I can recover, and sometimes it runs over into the next week. Some months it starts the week before, runs through the week of and spills over into the next week. I need some buddies to talk me out of the kitchen when I lose my mind during this time. Anybody out there with the same problem?

Replies

• kristylbain
    kristylbain Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have the same issue! Anything salty or chocolate - I will eat. I have eaten a while block of chocolate before. Crazy.
    I wish I could offer some advice, the only thing I could suggest is actually removing the food you don't want to eat to excess, or plan to catch up with a friend or something. I work in major city and adjacent to my work is a massive strip of shops - the struggle is real!
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!
    It is the ONLY time I crave chocolate (or anything sweet) and pretty much want to eat everything I see.
    I was "fortunate" enough to have had a wisdom tooth extraction during my last bout of PMS, so I couldn't eat much.
    My plan for next month is to satisfy my cravings with sugar-free Jello pudding. We'll see.
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Same... And i swear its been worse since my pregnancy and ive been breastfeeding
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Uncontrollable ravenous eating. Lucky me got my period 3, yes 3 times this past month!
  • tati85cr
    tati85cr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I feel like it's gotten worse. Sometimes I feel like I can't control it and after I eat whatever I find in the kitchen, the guilt attacks me so hard.
  • kbpalereflection
    kbpalereflection Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I will literally eat around 1000 extra calories a DAY because of PMS. It's awful! And my mood is usually low then, too, and I'm tired so I don't want to exercise. Just stay in and sleep :( Recognizing is the first step, but how do you all stay on track?!
  • EleanorLynn1989
    EleanorLynn1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat the entire house. haha I pretty much go for an enormous amount of junk food when that happens. Like ice cream, bags of popcorn, chips, cookies, and whatnot. I hate it. It's like there's no end and there's no getting full. haha
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My appetite changes so much right before my period and during. It sucks so much because it throws everything off and I crave all the junk foods....and the bloating, omg the bloating just makes me feel so fat and like I'll never lose weight. My period came 2 days after I started MFP, so I picked a mighty fine week to start my weight loss journey. HAHA, hopefully I can make some real progress (now that my period just ended) for the next 4 weeks. Sometimes when I'm craving chocolate during my period, I'll eat a square (or two) of dark chocolate 70% and that usually satisfies me.

I do have a question though for anyone who might know: I've been counting calories and macros for the past week and exercising as much as I can. Today was my rest day. I know most women will gain a few pounds during their period due to water retention, but once it's done, will we lose that weight on top of the extra weight we should have been losing from burning extra calories?? Does that make sense? I guess I just want to know if it's possible to make progress during the week of the period. Lets say I gained 5 lbs due to my period, but I've been exercising and eating less, so theoretically, I should lose those 5 lbs plus the extra 1 or 2 lbs from exercising/eating better....correct? Or completely wrong? I guess, ultimately I'll see in a couple of days when I weight myself.