any one else reluctant to add swimming in exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I just did some comparisons of calorie burns from MFP and this http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi Everything I compared was within just a few calories of each other
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swimming burns alot of calories for two reasons: Resistance is the first. It makes swimming that much more effective, almost like stretching, cardio and weight training all in one. Even more so if you are using paddles and fins. The second reason is temperature. Your body has to burn extra calories to keep itself in homeostasis (98.6 degrees) and pool water is usually in the 50-60 degree range so that is alot of work. I, however, do not accept the calorie counts MFP gives because they are always too high for me and I have a HRM I use for walking and jogging. MFP is never right. I swim an hour straight of breaststroke laps and do 15 minutes of water aerobic exercises and it suggests that I burned like 3000 some odd calories. It could be right but I really don't want to risk it so I log 728 for the swimming which is the lowest estimate I got from a different calculator and 160 for the aerobics because that is a little more than I burn doing land aerobics for 15 minutes. If I were you I would use a rough estimate about half of what it gives you or less and eat back the calories from it. you could try using a HRM in the water as well but I have gotten poor results with my Polar FT7 which is supposed to be waterproof. Something about the chlorine messing with the signal. Just realize that you definitely burn more calories swimming than you think you would. Hope this helps.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know that swimming is my main form of excercise and I have lost 40 lbs, I also do not eat back all of my calories from it. It is one heck of a workout and I can definately feel the muscles have been worked. I have some killer leg muscles from it.

Like others have said the swimmers I have met have are very lean so they must be doing something right LOL.

I always log as light/moderate no matter what so I won't over estimate.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lol, when I saw this topic, my first thought was "well, yeah. I want to lose weight to look better, and right now NO ONE wants to see me in a bathing suit!" lol. Totally not what I thought this would be.

In any case, I can see both sides of the argument. Swimming (if you're really working at it, not just kinda lounging in the pool) is a great cal burner because of the water resistance, but in my experience MFP's numbers are way off. The problem is, you don't want to not eat any of those calories back at all (especially if MFP's db is even close to right) because you'll be depriving your body too much. I'd go with the half time thing. Even if the db is closer to correct than you think, eating back half the cals will give your body enough to not freak itself out, but if the db is really high, eating back half should still keep you under what the actual burn is.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooo mu h for all your responses! So I think ill just log about 1/2 the time im actually in :) also, I've never really posted a topic and am very happy that everyone has taken the time to help me out with this!
    Thanks so much& the best of luck to everyone in our journey of lifestyle change!!!

Brandi ;)
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a swimmer and when they start their season the coaches tell them are burning between 1000-2000 calories per practice session (some days are more intense than other and they practice about 2 hours) Granted this is competition swimming and it all depends on how hard you work.

Someone commented on gardening...I wear my hrm when I mow the lawn and I burn between 500-800 calories in the 1-1.5 hours it takes me to mow. It is all based on your weight and how hard you work.