Balancing work stress with healthy habits/success stories of getting back on track after setbacks

Options
In 2013, I lost 55 pounds. It was awesome. I lived with a good friend, and we got healthy together. We consistently left the house to talk on long walks (instead of on the couch); we joined volleyball leagues and played multiple times a week; we biked together; we rock climbed. I didn't make all these changes overnight, but by the end of it, I felt like a rock star. I loved the kind of clothes I could wear and the person I saw in the mirror.

In 2014, I got promoted to an extremely high-stress job (that I love), and she got serious with her boyfriend. We stopped doing our healthy things together as both of our lives changed. And from then to now, I've gained back all 55 pounds. The whole time, I kept hitting milestones (the bad kind) and thinking "It's OK, I'll get it back under control before [the next milestone]" -- and then working from 8am until 10pm and thinking I deserved to eat what I wanted because of the stress.

In a bizarre way, overeating felt like taking care of myself -- showing myself kindness. "Hey, it's OK. You had a rough day. Be good to yourself, and give yourself permission to have that [whatever]." If you're only doing it once in a while, that's fine; when it becomes every day... it's less fine.

I sound like I'm just blaming my job, and that's not really fair -- I've kinda always had terrible stress coping mechanisms. But the job's a large source of stress, and I didn't realize what I was doing to myself until it was too late. When I look back on the last year, even though I love what I do and now run my own department, I'm not sure I would have made the same choices if it cost me my self-esteem.

I'm trying to make better choices now, and not get demoralized by how far I have to go to get back to where I was. It's starting with walking a lot more and getting back to logging my food (what a concept). I'm trying to clear enough room in my schedule to go biking in the mornings like I used to, too.

So I have two questions for any MFP readers:
  • If you work a tough job with long hours, how do you make sure you're still prioritizing your health?
  • Do you have a success story of getting back on track after a significant setback?

Replies

• keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I lost roughly the same thing and I've gained it back. Changed jobs, got in a new relationship, moved etc. You can make amazing CLEAN meals if you prep it in advance. I hate the bland food and I love to cook and experiment with food to make it taste amazing. Some things need to be in moderation like carbs ( whole wheat or whole grain only) , pinterest has amazing ideas that you should check out. Also bodybuilding.com has great plans. It seems that you were healthier when you had a partner to go workout with and eat good. Maybe find a new buddy for that? I'd also check our your benefits. You may qualify for some health benefits like a gym membership, massages, etc. If you can't hit up a 24hr gym, at work either bike there or park far and walk to the building. Take the stairs instead of an elevator. I'd you have a desk job, get one of those balls you can sit on instead of a chair ( it'll help strengthen your back wtc) .also if you have a desk job, make sure you are taking your 15 minute breaks and lunch etc. Stretch it out. Do some mild yoga. Go for a walk or go to the gym on your lunch break. Excelsior and eating better will help relieve some stress you have. As for the motivation, you just gotta do it. Consider it your medication. YouTube Elliott hulse. He's amazing and will inspire you! Good luck.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Sorry so long! Hope some of these ideas sound good to you!
  • twistedimages13
    twistedimages13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started to get serious about my weight loss in the summer. I work a very stressful job with violent people. I used coke as a reward for myself all the time and used the excuse of "im not that fat for someone who drinks a lot of pop" i stopped doing that. I dont deny myself pop necessarily but i dont need it as much when i focus on making water easier to just grab. I celebrate little milestones as much as i can because i know i need more rewards more frequently because weight loss can take so long. I wrote little rewards for every five pounds i lost. No food except sushi as a reward. There are times i cheat or cant say no but i think that is ok. When im more concious about what i am eating and doing i want to cheat less and less cause its not worth it.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas, keepitcroosh. Thank you both! :)
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I bring my food to work. Once it is gone, I am done eating. Bring healthy, proportional meals and snacks. Set times to eat each. Like I cannot have my mid morning snack until 9:30. I dedicate about an hour every Sunday to prep for the week. Being prepared is HUGE for me. If food is a reward for you, be prepared with a small candy bar...not half a bag of Halloween candy. Proportion is everything. It does take dedication but I put some much into my work, why shouldn't I put a little work into me... Hope this helps.
  • KCEngr
    KCEngr Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also, best account name ever. Love shark week.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Preparing for the week on Sunday is a great idea.
  • emsfreak80
    emsfreak80 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have figured out that meal prepping for the days that I work and doing 1-2 15 minute workouts has really helped
    me to stay motivated. If you did it once before you can do it again. Just stay focused. Good Luck
  • amandaneese
    amandaneese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I lost 50lbs and felt fantastic!!! Then I became stressed from work and home and chose not to put in the time and effort that I needed for myself. I have also gotten promoted to a high stress job that I love. I have slowly crept back to above where I started. I also use food as a reward. I had a stressful day so I'm getting my favorite Mexican food, or it was a great day so I'm gonna get ice cream and make it even better! Because I've gained back the weight it's hard to find the motivation to be active since it tires me out so fast and makes me realize my current level. I'm at the point where I am serious about the change and wanting to do better, but it's hard emotionally to begin the journey again because it feels so uphill.
  • wearynurse
    wearynurse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Sharkweek and others - I can relate.

I gained a lot of weight after getting divorced and going back to school to get my law degree, all the while doing shift-work to make ends meet. Now I'm a single mother working full-time. I have a demanding job and often work weekends too. Here's what's been working for me (slowly!):

I agree with the others - meal-planning is key. I try and cook on Sundays for the week and write down what Im going to have every day of the week. I take no more than $5 with me to work - if I spend it, it's to treat myself to a coffee mid-morning. I don't let myself go to the ATM or use my credit card.

I also plan my meal times like KCEngr - I usually have a mid-morning coffee and piece of fruit at 10am, a packed, nutritious lunch at 1230 and if I really need it, something small (like 10 almonds or a stick of string cheese) around 3.30pm. I don't eat ANYTHING at work functions - it seems there's always cakes/cookies around - I've made a rule that I don't ever have any, not even one. I fill a 2 litre bottle of water every morning and make sure I finish it during the day.

I know this isn't popular on this site, but for emergencies, I keep a couple of SlimFast shakes in the office fridge. There are times when I just don't get around to packing lunch. Since I'm trying to stick to a budget, I don't want to go and get an expensive salad and the other options around the office are too high in calories. It's not clean food, but I figure it's a low-calorie option for emergencies. I have my shake, grab an apple and use the time to head out in the fresh air for a walk.

I've started walking to and from work - it takes me just under an hour. If I don't have to pick up the kids, I walk home too, it's a great way to unwind and because I've planned my meals, I just warm something up when I get home. Having a fitbit has made a huge difference to me - I'm so much more conscious of sedentary behaviour during the day. I fill my weekends with active stuff - instead of meeting friends for brunch, I suggest a hike or meeting up for a swim followed by a coffee or fresh juice. Most of the time, everyone's into it!

It's a continuous journey - since I also struggle with self-discipline and "rewarding" myself if I've had a stressful day, the only way I can stay in control is to eliminate temptations or opportunities to indulge as much as possible. I try and set little, achievable goals - e.g. 'I will not buy any outside food this week' (but I usually do allow myself lunch out with colleagues every Friday and dinner out once a week); or 'I will log every mouthful of food in MFP for the entire week.'

Good luck - you've done it before, you can do it again!
  • wearynurse
    wearynurse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sorry that was so long!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Works stress was one of the reasons why I started this journey. As my company was going through a restructuring and nothing was certain I felt that I was loosing all control of what was happening in my life.
    Then two years ago I was a the verge of just walking out of my job. I was borderline on a burn-out. However I knew that that was not a solution and that I needed to find control over me. I had decided that if anything I wanted to change jobs but that I also was in no shape to do so.

MFP helped me to prioritise me and my health. The logging of food gives me a sense of purpose that it is about me. Excersise I made a priority even if it meant having to work late at home. Last year I also reduced my hours, which meant less income but a healthier approach to everything. Now I work effectivly the hours that i should have last year. I also started trainig for a different kind of holiday - Long distance hikes (we walked the great glen way and this year the hadian's wall path)

It has paid off, I am healthier and in a much better shape than I have been in over decade. Not only that I have been more productive, a better employee and projects are working really really well. My performance has shot up and that is being seen within management. But best of all; workstress is now at a level where I think this is good stress vs too much stress. I can deal with it so much better and am no longer absorbing and internalising the stress but putting it to use in fitness and excersise.
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump