How is it possible????

Options
I'm currently in Weight Watchers as well as MFP... So my scale said that I lost less then a 1 but the scale at WW said that I lost 2.6 pounds....

Can anyone tell me why???

Replies

• britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Every scale is different. My scale at home is about a pound off from what the scale at my doctor's office says. Just pick one scale that you'll really focus on, and do all your weigh ins/check ins from that one scale.
  • Nessarose1022
    Nessarose1022 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have that issue too. My scale at home says I weigh 3 more pounds than the scale in my doctor's office. As long as you stay consistent with which scale you are referring to (either your home one or your WW one), you can actually see how much weight you are losing.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Different manufacturers, different calibration, different types of scale. Just pick one that is properly working and stick to it.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple, you're using 2 scales, it's pretty unlikely to ever find 2 scales that'll ever weigh a person that same unless they are side by side on the same floor surface. Even then, it wouldn't guarantee it.

Pick a scale and keep that number in your head and go with it, it's fine to check the other scale out but don't let this make you crazy.

Would it help to only use the WW weigh in so you don't go bonkers feeling bad when it's likely you didn't gain at all?

I weigh at the gym, my home, the doc, another doc (not everyday or anything:laugh: just when I have appts. or decide to jump on it at the gym)... lol So I go by my home scale and it's keeps me sane. ;o)
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    What others have said. Typically at WW you're going to weigh in at a different time of day, wearing different amounts of clothing, etc. *Usually* I think people would find they weight LESS at WW, but it really can vary. Just pick one scale and base your progress around that.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different.

The one at our gym (which is digital) is 5lbs heavier than the one I have at home (analog). Since I use the one at home more than the one at the gym - I go by the weight on that one. I do occasionally weigh in at the gym just to see what it says - and it is ALWAYS 5lbs over. I don't let that get to me. When they first switched to that one and I didn't have one at home - I was floored by my 5lb weight gain. It is actually why I bought one for home because I couldn't understand why the old one at the gym said one weight, the new one said another... got my home one and it matched the older one at the gym.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Just use one scale for 'official' weigh-ins. I used my mom's the other day and it told me about 3lbs less than mine and that was with my clothes on ;-) Every scale is different, so it's best to stick with one scale.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Could be any of a number of reasons. Home scales have different measurement mechanisms and are not calibrated, so there will ALWAYS be differences from one scale to the next. Also, your body will naturally fluctuate 2-3 lbs over the course of the day, so timing can effect your results as well.

My suggestion, pick 1 scale use only it. Then always measure at the same time of day (morning) while wearing the same thing (naked).
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What others have said. Typically at WW you're going to weigh in at a different time of day, wearing different amounts of clothing, etc. *Usually* I think people would find they weight LESS at WW, but it really can vary. Just pick one scale and base your progress around that.

I agree that I do weigh in on the scale at WW at noon on Tues but I wear the same type of clothes ( as I have multiple colors) and I do not eat in the morning of weigh in day....

I will go with my scale at home

Thank you for all your advices
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i like to put two 5-pound bags of sugar on my scale to make sure it's accurate before i get on.
  • mental_release
    Options
    Scale manufacturers from around the world meet 3 times a year. They meet in secret and don't even advertise the meetings. The dates and locations are communicated to each other via certain foods that are advertised in your favorite grocery store circular. For example, Frozen Pizzas 2 for a $1 means the meeting is in Italy on Feb 1. Times and locations are communicated similarly using different foods agreed upon by the manufacturers at the previous meeting.

At these meetings, the scale manufacturers plot the variance in each others' scales. The hope is to frustrate those of us trying to lose weight who get fed up with one scale and go buy another one to "see if it's any better". Just when we're about to give up all hope, they release a "New and Improved Version with Laser Technology Offering Better Accuracy" for a higher price.

It's all a plot. Ignore the tin-foil on my head...it's a plot. I know it.

--MR :tongue:
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The only accurate way to keep track of your weight over time is to weigh yourself at the same time of day on an empty stomach on the same scale. Even then you are looking more at relative measurements, not exact ones in the short-term and there's no need to check your weight every single day. Depending on your exercise and nutrition plan you may experience a change in body composition that results in fat loss, muscle gain, water loss, water gain or a combination of all the above and it's impossible to tell what happened just by looking at the scale in the short-term. If you are female you will have hormonal changes that cause small fluctuations in weight as well. Don't sweat the numbers, just stick to a solid plan, take pictures of yourself every month or so and maybe keep an old set of clothes around for comparison. When you feel more energetic, are stronger, faster and fit into your clothes better you will know you are on the right track. Also be aware that people with "more to lose" will have vastly different results from those who just want to lose that "last 10 lbs" or "firm up", add muscle mass, etc.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Scale manufacturers from around the world meet 3 times a year. They meet in secret and don't even advertise the meetings. The dates and locations are communicated to each other via certain foods that are advertised in your favorite grocery store circular. For example, Frozen Pizzas 2 for a $1 means the meeting is in Italy on Feb 1. Times and locations are communicated similarly using different foods agreed upon by the manufacturers at the previous meeting.

At these meetings, the scale manufacturers plot the variance in each others' scales. The hope is to frustrate those of us trying to lose weight who get fed up with one scale and go buy another one to "see if it's any better". Just when we're about to give up all hope, they release a "New and Improved Version with Laser Technology Offering Better Accuracy" for a higher price.

It's all a plot. Ignore the tin-foil on my head...it's a plot. I know it.

--MR :tongue:
    love this!!! You're hilarious :laugh: :tongue: Plus since I read this on the Internet it MUST be true!:glasses: :wink: