Sugar problem!!

hi
I keep going over my sugar recommendation but 95% of my sugar comes from fruit!!
Is this bad, I have always loved fruit and I only eat 2-3 serves a day but it always seems to send my sugar over!

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Unless your doctor has warned you about it, don't worry.

Lots of MFP users delete the sugar entry in their Nutrition section. I just ignore it, even though I'm often over.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    No, but 2-3 servings of fruit shouldn't put you over either. The lowest sugar goal you should have is 45 g (15% of 1200), and if a higher cal goal it would be more.

I think lots of people tend to eat proportionally more veg and fruit when at a very low calorie level like 1200, so that causes an issue with the sugar goal based on a percentage. It's one of several reasons I don't think the sugar goal is that important. Better to focus on calories, and eating an overall nutritious diet.
  • EngineerB
    EngineerB Posts: 5 Member
    The wonderful thing about fruit is that it has a lot of fiber. The fiber makes you digest it slower, so you don't get as bad of an insulin spike which makes you turn calories into fat.

But at the same time, too much of anything can be bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you should try to get some more vegetables and protien too.

Also, only eating 1200 cals a fay is not sustainable. It may help you shed lbs quicker, but if you eat more it will make you gain weight easier. You should take to a dietician to create a weight loss plan that will help you lose weight and keep it off.
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    I'm not. I am on 1420 a day
    EngineerB wrote: »
    The wonderful thing about fruit is that it has a lot of fiber. The fiber makes you digest it slower, so you don't get as bad of an insulin spike which makes you turn calories into fat.

But at the same time, too much of anything can be bad. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you should try to get some more vegetables and protien too.

Also, only eating 1200 cals a fay is not sustainable. It may help you shed lbs quicker, but if you eat more it will make you gain weight easier. You should take to a dietician to create a weight loss plan that will help you lose weight and keep it off.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    EngineerB wrote: »

Huh?!? 1200 calories can be appropriate and sustainable for some people. I fail to see how sticking to 1200 calories a day would make you gain weight easier.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    hi
    I keep going over my sugar recommendation but 95% of my sugar comes from fruit!!
    Is this bad, I have always loved fruit and I only eat 2-3 serves a day but it always seems to send my sugar over!

Unless you have medical issues that mean you need to watch your sugar intake then do not worry about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Swap it out for fibre
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Limit fruit to one per day. Set sugar Max to 30.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Swap it out for fibre

Yep. Lots of us on here do this. I couldn`t tell you how much sugar I consume... but when I do, it is primarily `natural sugars`from fruit rather than processed food.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited January 2016
    you can add fibre to reports without hiding sugar ;-)

2-3 servings of fruit should fit into MFPs lowest allowance without a problem. Everyone should have 45g or more unless setting their own custom goals.

(PS "Milk Chocolate Licorice Bullets, 50 g" aren't a fruit, and 300g of melon isn't a serving)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I swapped mine out for fiber as well. I need to start tracking sugar, unfortunately, even after saying it doesn't matter for so long. But I am having a reaction to a certain amount of something, and I believe it to be sugar. Still, I'm really reluctant to track it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I track mine about half the time because I find it interesting and always get plenty of fiber. I am more focused on the sources of sugar than total number, but it's interesting to see how much various foods have.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I track mine about half the time because I find it interesting and always get plenty of fiber. I am more focused on the sources of sugar than total number, but it's interesting to see how much various foods have.

I'm interested in the sources as well. Maybe I'll start tracking again just to get acquainted with that.