Belviq weight loss prescription, have you tried it?

Options
tink562
tink562 Posts: 2 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My doctor has prescribed Belviq to aid in my weight loss, I'm 28 5'5 and 191 lbs. I have recently started working out again 3 times a week but my appetite is always there, the cravings are the worst. So I wanted to know if anyone has taken BELVIQ tablets and how did it make you feel and did they work for you?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I took phen/fen back in the day and that was it for me for prescription diet pills.

How I manage hunger and cravings:
    1. Not trying to lose too much too fast (not creating too big a calorie deficit)
    2. Eating sufficient protein in relationship to carbs (40% carbs 30% fat 30% protein works well for me)
    3. Eating lots of high volume/low calorie veggies
    4. Getting enough sleep
    5. Exercising
    6. Yoga
  • jensedun
    jensedun Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Never mind.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tink562 wrote: »
    My doctor has prescribed Belviq to aid in my weight loss, I'm 28 5'5 and 191 lbs. I have recently started working out again 3 times a week but my appetite is always there, the cravings are the worst. So I wanted to know if anyone has taken BELVIQ tablets and how did it make you feel and did they work for you?

I haven't tried it (my dr prefers I try to lose weight on my own first, and has said she will only prescribe a weightloss drug if after 2 months I haven't been able to lose). However, just wanted to warn you-if you are diabetic (and even in some non-diabetic patients, it can cause low blood sugar which can be dangerous. I'm not saying don't take it, just that it is something to be aware of.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about two weeks on the advice of my doctor(she wanted me to use for 30 days). It did NOTHING! Waste of my time. Luckily I spent no money on it as they were samples, but it did nothing to help curb appetite. Money sink for the pharma company that makes it.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm on this also. I gained 30 lbs with my son, and just can't get back. My doc didn't want to prescribe a stimulant, so he prescribed this. In the beginning you really have to take as prescribed once in morning and once at night. I'm not that great with taking pills, so it probably did take 2 weeks for the desired effect. It sincerely toned down my hunger. When I'm at a family dinner thing and do eat too much, I feel uncomfortable full. Now I'm getting back on the ball with working out. I haven't checked the weight yet, but I feel great. Yesterday for lunch I had a tiny salad and 4 pieces of sushi, and it was enough. That is not me. Give it a go for one month. See how it works for you. My problem is definitely my hunger, so it works for me.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My doctor just prescribed this for me, I'll be on it 2 weeks, then go back for a weight check to see if I continue. I lost 20 lbs since June doing zumba 3-4 times a week and calorie counting (1300-1400 a day net average) but I told him I've now not lost anything for over 2 months so he put me on this to see if it would help me continue my weight loss.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My sister took it for a couple of months a few years ago and lost about 30 or so lbs. They made her feel light headed and upset her stomach for quite a while.

Then she had to stop taking it because it stopped working and she gained all the weight back plus more.