Exercise ideas for the injured.

Options
Started my weight loss journey at +350lbs..lost 84lbs.. then Injured my knee last april, just 10 days before the obstacle course I had been training for all year. had my knee surgery a little over two months ago and can't do the dynamic exercises I've fallen in love with, so after a lengthy hiatus and a gaining back 37lbs I'm officially ready to start working at it again.. but I truly am at a loss considering I'm not fully healed and can't do any exercises that put too much stress on the knee. I've been lifting for the last month and am nailing down a routine for the most part (all ideas are welcome) but I'm still at a loss as to what cardio exercises I can do. I focused on working out crazy amounts and being more liberal on my diet rather than the other way around so I feel like I'm learning how to ride a bike all over again. Thank you for taking the time to read this if you have any ideas or thoughts on my situation please respond.

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Water is your friend! If I were you I would get a lesson working out my stroke/breathing timing if necessary & then begin swimming laps.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Assuming you've been cleared to do it, I second the swimming. It's so easy on the joints and burns calories like crazy.

They make floaty things that will hold your legs together and help them float. People usually use them to get a better upper body workout. They also make things that fit between your legs and are floaty, but you kind of have to use your legs to keep it in. Good for the muscles, possibly bad for the injury. I don't know.

There are water barbells and all manner of things to use in the water. Speedo has them and amazon might. You can also use empty 2L bottles for resistance in the water, but you look strong enough to use the barbells. (It's harder than it looks!)

That's assuming you've been cleared to do it. Check with the surgeon or doctor - whoever you're following up with now - to be sure you can swim.

Speedy recovery! :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Google Chair/seated cardio routines. Youtube is full of them.
  • creepyer
    creepyer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never received a notification about a response from any of you. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME AND INPUT! ! I try to swim when i can but i moved to a small town recently and only have a YMCA to swim at. It's ok, but the pool there is ridiculously small and the restrictions they have due to classes or life guard shortages are insane. I've since figured out a few different exercises that i string together as a circuit and it's working out pretty well. As i type this I'm terribly sore from above the knees to my shoulders.. I missed this so much lol. The knee is still on the mend but I'm finally seeing a light at the end of this injury tunnel!!
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    While swimming is good, the stationary bike is also an option. I had knee surgery 18months ago. Gained a lot of weight due to the restriction in activity and also had another medical issue pop up that further limited my ability to exercise. I did quite a bit of PT and am now back at it. I can ski a whole day and my knee feels great! I'm about to start back in on regular cardio (elliptical), but my goal is not to overdo it and aggravate my knees. (I was doing an hour of cardio/day 6x/week and it was too much.) Find a good balance and you'll get there.