Dieting when moving countries

Options
Hey guys!
So I overate quite a bit over the holidays and I'm now slowing going back to my healthy eating routine & tracking my calories.
I've gained some weight over the holidays and I'm keen to get back on track and not let this go one for any longer.

However, I'm moving to a new country (Belgium) in about 10days time, I'll be staying in a hostel whilst searching for flats.
I'm a bit concerned as to how I can maintain a relatively healthy diet in the time between leaving home, finding a new flat and settling into a new routine.

Anyone ever gone through a similar process? Any tips?

Marilia

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I almost want to say "sorry to hear that". Country of "French" fries, "Belgian" waffles, craft beer and chocolate...
    Most of the weight I gained in the past was always when changing countries and not knowing the foods and adjusting to new diets.

What worked for me on my successful moves was upping my exercise a lot, figuring I would compensate for new high cals food. What also worked for me was skipping breakfast during the week if I am eating in hotels/buffets (I love breakfast food and it's the meal when I am most likely to overeat); I usually don't overeat at the following meal. I went drastic because of my history of gaining weight.

If you have the possibility to get a serviced apartment where you can cook then that would help a lot to buy your own food. I think as long as you are aware of the pitfalls and continue to log faithfully you should be alright
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I travel over to France a lot - my parents live there and its no difference honestly.
    Supermarkets are numerous and calorie content is on the back of products, the only difference is that the words will probably be in German or French (Depending on where you are staying) but more likely German.
    Hostels have kitchens so you can cook whatever you want, whenever you want.
    I see no reason to not just continue your lifestyle, its just being done in another country.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Keep logging! Don't let yourself think that it will be hard to stick to your calorie goal during the move or you might struggle.
    Good luck with your move :)
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are coming from, but I can understand. When I moved to the UK, I started bad habits with chips (fries) with everything, along with endless supplies of chocolates and biscuits (cookies). Eventually I adjusted. When I've been on holidays in various European cities, I've found I've lost weight, even though I've indulged, because I've walked and walked and walked.

But the net is, most of the same healthy foods you have at your home location will be available at your food stores in Belgium. I've travelled extensively across the UK, usually staying in self-catered flats (i.e., prepared my own food in a rented apartment), and have had no trouble shopping locally. If you are coming from the US, you will likely find the produce to be fresher, better, and less mass-produced.

As you will be in a hostel though, your cooking options will probably be more limited. All I can recommend is to watch your portion sizes, grab some fresh fruit for snacks on the run, look for pre-made salads in the supermarkets (go light on the dressings), walk as much as you can, and log, log, log, so that you know whether or not your intake is exceeding your output.

Best of luck in your new home.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    MariliaPa wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    So I overate quite a bit over the holidays and I'm now slowing going back to my healthy eating routine & tracking my calories.
    I've gained some weight over the holidays and I'm keen to get back on track and not let this go one for any longer.

However, I'm moving to a new country (Belgium) in about 10days time, I'll be staying in a hostel whilst searching for flats.
    I'm a bit concerned as to how I can maintain a relatively healthy diet in the time between leaving home, finding a new flat and settling into a new routine.

Anyone ever gone through a similar process? Any tips?

Marilia

You'll be fine. I moved to Germany last January and tracking food on the MPF App was a piece of cake no matter where I was or what I was eating in Europe.

By the way, most likely Dutch (Flemish) and French in Belgium depending on if you are living in the North (Dutch) or South (French)...

23519819993_9545505915_b.jpg
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to the same breakfast ( porridge with fruit) and lunch (salad with chicken) no matter which country I'm in, then have about 2/3rds of a portion of anything I fancy for dinner. I'm moving to Bermuda next month so I'm crossing my fingers that this strategy will keep me out of trouble in the long term!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My husband had a friend that moved to Austria a year or so ago - she said the biggest difference from US to Europe was the lack of pre-made, packaged goods like diced tomatoes, beans, baking mixes, etc. Everything that's pre-packaged is the junk food. They have to make everything healthy from scratch all the time or eat out, so that was a hindrance to her weight control for the first few months. It looks like you're going to have to put in the effort or shell out the dough for eating out!