Losing Weight after Bariatric Surgery

Options
Hello everyone, my name is Jackie and I had bariatric surgery on 12/29/14. I had the sleeve done and so far I've lost 25 pounds. I'm very excited and very happy I did it but it's not an easy road. I start pureed foods today and hoping that it all sits well with me. I would like to know if anyone had bariatric surgery and would like to discuss their challenges and successes. I can sure need some encouragement and advise. It's been 2 weeks for me since the surgery and I'm still feeling a bit sore so I can't start exercising yet but am looking forward to start the regimen.

Replies

• Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I go for my sleeve on the 26th of January . Check out this author on Amazon - Kate Bailey. Kindle books are a lot cheaper. Nice recipes. Scared but excited too. I am the typical yo yo dieter. 25 is a lot to lose in such a short time. What have you been drinking on the liquid stage
  • mngrubbs13
    Options
    I was sleeved on 9/15/14 I have lost 42 pounds in 16 weeks. I hit some stalls here and there and just started working out on a regular basis. I would have probably lost better had I not had surgery right before the holidays. I refrained best as I could but I am human. I am happy with my decision but be patient as your body changes. I'm learning new things about my body every day. The changes are so awesome tho. Losing weight way differently than any diet I have ever done before. Good luck to you both!!! I'm happy to chat any time as I am still learning and growing.
  • Bugged53
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I need all the support I can get. I'm on the predict now. This is hard but I'm determined.
  • hkknh
    hkknh Posts: 2
    Options
    Glad to find this spot. I have surgery on 1/26/15. I am terrified. I know this is what is best, but so scared of what will happen after. Did you all share that you were having the surgery with co-workers?
  • louandhad2003
    louandhad2003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the "sleeve" is? I had open Rouex n y back in 11-4-2012 I will never forget that date as I was reborn again! I was 320 and in two - 3 weeks I had lost like 35 pounds it was amazing!! I lost 150 pounds and since the. Have had 3 kids and am back up again with this last baby and I'm struggling to lose! Being this far out it does not come off without trying
  • Bugged53
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the "sleeve" is? I had open Rouex n y back in 11-4-2012 I will never forget that date as I was reborn again! I was 320 and in two - 3 weeks I had lost like 35 pounds it was amazing!! I lost 150 pounds and since the. Have had 3 kids and am back up again with this last baby and I'm struggling to lose! Being this far out it does not come off without trying

Part of the stomach is removed. They use to do this before the gastric for extremely overweight people and after they lost weight they performed the gastric bypass. They found that some people didn't need to do the gastric, they lost enough weight with sleeve. You can go fro sleeve to the gastric but you can't go from gastric to sleeve. Google it to get a more in depth answer
  • louandhad2003
    Options
    I'm just confused as why get the stomach removed vs having it snipped per sari their way folks in time your stomach WILL stretch ! I'm 13 years post op
  • Bugged53
    Options
    It's possible to stretch with either surgery. Friend had the gastric bypass 8 years ago and she gained all plus more of her weight back. I have to remember that it's a tool not a cure. I'm hoping that this will make me more aware of what and how much I put in my mouth.
  • Whitnit809
    Whitnit809 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm also thankful for this post! I'm scheduled for my first surgical consult on 2/4/15, but I don't know yet when I'll actually have the procedure. I'm thinking I'll do the sleeve. I too am curious about life after surgery and want to hear from others who have had it done. Anyone who has had it done or in the process of getting it done, please add me and send a note that you saw my post. I'd love to stay connected as we all go through this journey.
    All the best to you guys!
  • Bugged53
    Options
    I just had the sleeve Monday January 26. Right now I'm doing full liquids . Protein shakes. Next step is puréed foods, then soft then regulat with some restrictions. It's a long process to get to the operation. Support groups which most Drs make you go to are very helpful. My friend had hers in September and she is doing fine. Just remember you can gain it back. It's not a cure. I'm nauseous but hope it goes away soon. Never need pain medicine when I got home. Uncomfortable turning over in bed but not bad enough for a pill. Heartburn. Start eliminating what you can't eat before surgery like carbonated drinks, chewing gum cutting back on caffeine
  • nancymyersbradley
    nancymyersbradley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm being worked up now for the sleeve. I'm now on a food plan that will prepare me for postop eating. I read an article yesterday that said that1/3 of people gain their weight back mostly to do with eating too much and stretching out the stomach again. I' m glad to find this as it will be good for supprt ax nd for comparing my prigress or lack of it.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Kaiser does only the gastric pouch procedure. I think that's what they call it. I am in the program now leading up to the surgery early fall. would love to hear from peeps who have gone through this. I only know 2, one successful and the other not.
  • AshCunn777
    Options
    I am almost a year out from having had the sleeve and I've gone from 272 lbs to 162. My goal is 145. I'm a 29 year old mom of 2. Pregnancy and being a mostly stay at home mom for their first 3-4 years is what helped me pack on the pounds.
    I haven't told many people that I have had weight loss surgery because I don't want to be judged for taking the 'easy' way out. Little do they know that it's just as hard as doing it the old fashioned way. I haven't had much in the way of complications but I still struggle to eat less. With the sleeve, overeating means being extremely uncomfortable and usually vomiting. Even a bite or two can throw you over that fine line and you feel like everything is stuck.
    Each and every day is a step closer to where I want to be and every small victory counts! I have been so grateful for the MyFitnessPal app because it has made it so much easier to track my protein and make sure I'm hitting my requirements.
    Having any support is what has made this journey possible for me. Search out through any forums and friends to get help, advice, answers to your questions and just friendly chat to help you along your way!
  • oldguard1954
    Options
    My surgery was in August 2014. I have gone from 311 to todays weight of 211, but my goal is 198. I have only had one real relapse. My mother in law moved in with us a few months ago and she brought horrible eating habits with her. She eats nothing but candy, snacks, nuts, cookies, cakes, you name it. Before she moved in it was easier to avoid the tempting foods. Now I smell them everywhere. My biggest set back was eating nuts. I love them. I gained back 4 of the pounds I had lost, but after seeing my Dr. last week I'm back on track. I want to reach my goal weight and go on the lifetime maintenance program. I love the fitness pal program, for tracking my foods and progress. I invite anyone to add me to their friend list for support.
  • nursemelanie1111
    Options
    I had the Duodenal Switch 07/01/14. I was sleeved 03/2010, only lost 70 lbs and had a total regain within 2 1/2 years. The duodenal switch gives you a sleeve for a stomach and then your small intestines is rerouted where only a portion( in my case and commonly a 100 cm portion) comes in contact with the gastric juices/bile which breaksdown the food and allows for absorption. All other weight loss surgeries, even band and rny patients can be revised to this surgery, but it takes a specially trained surgeon to perform the revisions.
  • pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a revision from lap band to sleeve on 4/7/15 and I'm almost 6 weeks out and not hungry at all. I gained back all of weight that I lost with the band after having my 2nd child and suffering health issues. I'm no longer on blood pressure medications and I've lost 22 lbs thus far. I walk every day no matter how much my body hurts I have the "taste" of being healthy and fit again and it tastes way better than food. I manage 2 extremely small meals a day and a protein shake for lunch with fruit thrown in and a light mozzarella cheese for a snack so I get my intake of protein. My temptations these days are my old much smaller clothes in my closet. My daughter is 9 and my son soon to be 4 and I'm working towards setting a good example for them. Good luck to all of you on your journey!
  • lpdjones
    lpdjones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I had RNY on 12/14/15. 3 weeks postop and doing very well, (lost 10# so far) although getting tired on soft/purée diet. Glad to meet you folks. I'm looking to share support as we get into the rest of the struggle. TIA, L.
  • louandhad2003
    Options
    Hi folks I'm back shdin