Gaining Weight?

Options
I started increasing my activity and decreasing my calories about a week ago. In that time, I've met my ten thousand step goal each day, plus have gone to the gym three times.

The problem is, I've actually gained almost 5 lbs. I understand the whole muscle weighs more than fat concept, I just refuse to believe that I've gained 5 lbs of muscle in seven days.

Any thoughts why my body would do that? It's incredibly frustrating when I need to lose 20 lbs. :(

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi and welcome!!

nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • KelpyG
    KelpyG Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It is possible you may be making mistakes entering nutrition information, or perhaps aren't burning that many calories when working out?
    It's also possible you are retaining water, but it's pretty hard to make guesses through one post. Hope this helps :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's not muscle, it's water. Sodium, hormones/TOM, and new exercise will all cause a spike in water retention.
  • FrejaHetty19
    FrejaHetty19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is it My Fitness Pal that is telling you that you have gained? If so, take it with a pinch of salt as it has done the same thing to me before, and I know I hadn't put on that much in muscle mass. If it's the scales, then as @KelpyG suggested it could be water retention, or just additional muscle gain - it's very common when beginning a new workout regime to gain weight before you start to lose it. Hope this helps, good luck! ☆
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I started increasing my activity and decreasing my calories about a week ago. In that time, I've met my ten thousand step goal each day, plus have gone to the gym three times.

The problem is, I've actually gained almost 5 lbs. I understand the whole muscle weighs more than fat concept, I just refuse to believe that I've gained 5 lbs of muscle in seven days.

Any thoughts why my body would do that? It's incredibly frustrating when I need to lose 20 lbs. :(

There are a few reasons this could be happening. First, your food logging could be inaccurate, but it's doubtful that you would see a 5 lb increase in a week. But it's always a good idea to make sure you are weighing and measuring accurately, and choosing proper entries.

You said you started exercising, so let's start there. Whenever you begin a new exercise program, you tend to see some water weight gain. The glycogen stores in your muscles increase to handle the new activity level, and with that comes some water (I think it's 3g water for 1g glycogen). So you could be experiencing temporary water weight gain.

Remember that your body weight also fluctuates throughout the day, and your scale weight can be influenced by other factors as well, like the food weight in your digestive system or your menstrual cycle. I would give it some time, keep going with your logging and exercise, and see if the scale doesn't start to move.
  • scootchidoo
    scootchidoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Water weight sounds logical.

I'll admit that tracking the foods is difficult and I'm probably not nearly accurate enough. What I do know is that I cut out eating chocolate and chips and replaced those with either nothing or fruit so that has to count, right? :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Being in a deficit is what counts, how you get there is up to you. If you have room at the end of the day for a treat, have it. Life's too short not to have a little treat :)
  • scootchidoo
    scootchidoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I spoke to a fitness trainer at the gym I joined. He suggested writing down the cravings I gave during the week then choosing one to have, once per week. I thought that sounded like a good idea.

My job is incredibly sedate and u have a tendency to graze at my desk. I need to curb that. :)
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Hello and welcome.
    Muscle, while it doesn`t weigh more than fat (a pound = a pound) it is more DENSE than fat.
    When you start working out (if lifting weights) your body will store more water as it repairs the muscle.
    good luck!
  • Greyhoundskinny
    Greyhoundskinny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    when you start working out it is not unusual to gain weight. the secret is how the clothes fit. are they slightly looser?
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The logging is crucial. Gotta weigh your food and get accurate calorie counts. It's really really easy to under estimate how much you are eating by guessing or using cups or portion or serving sizes. Some things are less crucial ie a cup of broccoli v 1.25 cups. But inaccurately recording calorie dense foods can add hundreds of calories to your day.