Really I am supposed to eat 2400 calories to lose weight?

Options
I don't get it, I am supposed to eat more to lose weight? Can someone explain? Thanks!

Replies

• torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    You'll need to supply a little more information before anyone can possibly address your question.
    Like...how much you are trying to lose, how quickly, how much activity you are doing daily, your exercise routine, etc.
    Good Luck!
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options
    well i blog alot, I am a nutritional guru. I am an ex marine and law enforcement. The answer is... actually yes and no. It depends on your body and metabolism. My body for instant loses the most when I eat less calories and burn more. But to jump your metabolism, You must consume small meals 4-6 times a day. Keep your belly with food in it to constantly feed your body. IF you work out daily, you can afford to intake 1200 to 1500 calories. If you are a couch potato then eat about 1000. Starving your body is the worst thing you can do!
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat a lot right now, and your basal metabolic rate is high, you are probably eating too little. What that means is that your body may burn more calories than you are consuming, even without "working out". If you eat too little, your body goes into starvation mode and when this happens, you store fat, instead of burn it. If you have an active lifestyle and you eat less than 1200 calories, you will have a hard time losing weight.

My only explanation for giving you a high amount of calories, is so that with your natural calories burnt per day (breathing, walking, moving,etc.) plus any activity you do, you will still be consuming a NET of over 1200. Hopefully that makes sense!!
  • Laura9303
    Laura9303 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks, I am trying to lose 100 pounds. I am some what active walking/running 6-9 miles per week split up into two to three sessions and riding my bike most places around the house. But this is all fairly new and I have been told previously that I need to eat more. Believe it or not I find it hard, chasing after the kids and their doctors appointments. Keeping track has made me more conscious of what I am eating and how I am eating. Just trying to understand.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Here is a link to a post by one of the site moderators that very eloquently explains the site setup and how/why you determine your caloric needs based on the site's formula and guidelines.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics?hl=ladyhawk