My fitness pal calorie and nutrition count

Options
With the nutrition information that is supplied with your calorie count such as protein, sugar, carbs, etc.... Is the goal to hit all those goals or maybe keep the sugar and carbs lower than that? I was just curious so I knew how to better track as I may not meet my calories but at times bypass my sugar or carbs and are trying to do better for the new year.

Replies

• cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I kind of prioritize mine.
    I always try to hit my protein goal... I look at that number as an "at least".
    I try to hit my fiber goal (I track fiber instead of sugar).
    I aim for my fat goal but it isn't one I get nutty about (no pun intended).... and fill the rest with carbs.
    Hope that helps.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cwagar123 wrote: »
    I aim for my fat goal but it isn't one I get nutty about (no pun intended).... and fill the rest with carbs.
    Hope that helps.

This is pretty much exactly what I do to!
    OP, macros are kind of personal preference, you have to find what works for you. I've heard alot of successful folks here say that protein, fat, and fiber are minimums for them. Ultimately, calories are king for weight loss, macros are for health and depend on your specific goals.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. If you're only interested in losing weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. The rest doesn't matter unless you have a health condition that requires management of these macros.

With that being said, if you are losing weight, the one you should watch and try to meet daily is your protein goal, which I have found to be somewhat low on MFP for my needs. Protein will aid in maintaining the inevitable muscle loss as you lose weight. The rest I cannot speak for because I don't bother to watch. I once believed that I needed to watch sugar, but after educating myself that sugars has no more influence on weightloss than any of the other macros, I stopped paying attention.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hope that helps.

same here protein, fiber first - but I go either or for fat versus carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    It depends on what your goals are. If you're only interested in losing weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. The rest doesn't matter unless you have a health condition that requires management of these macros.

With that being said, if you are losing weight, the one you should watch and try to meet daily is your protein goal, which I have found to be somewhat low on MFP for my needs. Protein will aid in maintaining the inevitable muscle loss as you lose weight. The rest I cannot speak for because I don't bother to watch. I once believed that I needed to watch sugar, but after educating myself that sugars has no more influence on weightloss than any of the other macros, I stopped paying attention.

Yes, this.

Many people find protein to be filling and if you are eating at a deficit and exercising it can aid in preserving LBM up to about .65-.85 g/lb of healthy body weight, so I set my protein goal based on that and try to meet it. I also focus on eating a healthful, balanced diet, but for my purposes fat vs. carbs doesn't really matter -- I instead focus more on making sure I'm making lots of healthy choices, getting in vegetables at all meals when possible, having a good variety, etc.
  • trishpsl
    trishpsl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. Yes I am trying to lose weight so I am trying to figure out my best plan of action to be able to do that. This has been helpful so I will be paying closer attention to my protein and fiber intake.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hope that helps.

Good advice, that is what I do as well. I don't think sugar should be a default as it is there as carbs any way.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

With that being said, if you are losing weight, the one you should watch and try to meet daily is your protein goal, which I have found to be somewhat low on MFP for my needs. Protein will aid in maintaining the inevitable muscle loss as you lose weight. The rest I cannot speak for because I don't bother to wajtch. I once believed that I needed to watch sugar, but after educating myself that sugars has no more influence on weightloss than any of the other macros, I stopped paying attention.

I'd like to ask... I am trying to lose weight but have never meet my protein goals. Should I take protein shake then ? As it is the easiest. Because my impression so far is that protein shake = for body builders.

I just want to lose my fats.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »

With that being said, if you are losing weight, the one you should watch and try to meet daily is your protein goal, which I have found to be somewhat low on MFP for my needs. Protein will aid in maintaining the inevitable muscle loss as you lose weight. The rest I cannot speak for because I don't bother to wajtch. I once believed that I needed to watch sugar, but after educating myself that sugars has no more influence on weightloss than any of the other macros, I stopped paying attention.

I'd like to ask... I am trying to lose weight but have never meet my protein goals. Should I take protein shake then ? As it is the easiest. Because my impression so far is that protein shake = for body builders.

I'm far from being a body builder but many times I am short my protein goal. I supplement with protein powder mixed with milk or my favorite beverage.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    trishpsl wrote: »
    With the nutrition information that is supplied with your calorie count such as protein, sugar, carbs, etc.... Is the goal to hit all those goals or maybe keep the sugar and carbs lower than that? I was just curious so I knew how to better track as I may not meet my calories but at times bypass my sugar or carbs and are trying to do better for the new year.

Hi Trish
    I try and keep Sugar lower and meet or exceed the protein goal. Fiber is important too, I eat lots of vegetables which helps with that.

Good Luck
    Roger

Hi
    This just an opinion of course, I prefer to get my calories in via protein and Vegetables and try to avoid sugary foods such as pastries. I eat three portions of fruit a day, that helps with fiber and carbs and nutrition IMO. Thus I eat a medium Banana each morning before I go walking my 2.5 to 3+ miles each morning. Then I come home and eat breakfast, part of which is a protein shake. The Vanilla shakes are tasty when You add 1/3 of the banana or a few Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries or whatever is in season. Then I have a medium Apple with Lunch and a couple of Clementines with my Dinner.

Have a Good Sunday
    Roger
    ise311 wrote: »

Hi
    FWIW I have had a protein shake every day as a part of my breakfast since I started working on losing weight in January of 2014. Using the shake, 3 servings of fruits, 12 ounces+ of vegetables as part of my regimen and staying at approximately 1800 calories a day I have lost 210 pounds as of this morning. I have been able to maintain my daily foods at that level this past year since I was able to start walking during the summer.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • trishpsl
    trishpsl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all this has been very informative