What are 5 exercises that you do in a workout?

Options
Type back five exercises that you do in a workout, and ill let you know how effective they are and how to "vamp" it up. Still doing them pullups and not seeing results? How about them crunches and not seeing them tight abs? Ill let you in on the secrets of a sexy body individually. Just reply with your answers! Have fun with this MFP users! And godspeed on your journey to weight loss!

Ex marine, and current law enforcement
Derrickmcgill90

Replies

• curtisperk
    curtisperk Posts: 27
    Options
    I do a mix of different stuff, but the 5 I usually do are:

Crunches
    Lunges with bicep curls
    Jumping Jacks
    Jogging for 30 minutes OR running in place for 30 minutes
    Pushups

I don't see a lot of improvement on the pushups, and I've tried lot's of different tips to help with pushups but a lot don't seem to be working.

Thanks Man!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    1. Cardio
    2. Squats w/ 50 lbs
    3. Lunges w/ 8 lbs handweights, bicep curl for each lunge forward
    4. Abs Express class - lots of planks, crunches, situps, reverse crunches, scissors, flutter kicks, ect
    5. Push-ups (modified/girl-style) holding the "down" position for 5-10 seconds for every 5

Help me kick it up!
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Well in reality it depends on the day, Upper, Lower, or cardio, So I will cheat and give for the day(s)

Lower Body:
    Back Squat
    Front Squat
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raise

Upper Body:
    Bench Press(Dumbbell/Barbell)
    Chest Fly(Be it Dumbbell or Cable)
    Lat Pull Down(Wide, neutral, close grip)
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Bicep Curls(Dumbbell, E-Z Curl Bar, etc - not a large compound be it..)

Cardio day is basically Cardio, and light anythings

Cardio(Treadmill)
    Chin-Ups
    Pull-Ups
    HyperExtensions(45 and 90 Roman)
    Leg Raises(Hanging from Pull up Bar)

That's 5 of each workout(more in there, but listed the 5).
  • True_angel4ever
    Options
    I just barely started with MFP yesterday, but i would love to know what i could do to really benefit me and help me tone up my stomach and the padded area in the back..lol any advice on any workouts for me will definately be appreciated. :)
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options

Crunches
    Lunges with bicep curls
    Jumping Jacks
    Pushups

I don't see a lot of improvement on the pushups, and I've tried lot's of different tips to help with pushups but a lot don't seem to be working.

Thanks Man!

Tell you what, when doing pushups, tighten your chest and suck your butt in. Tighten your triceps. When you bring your body down to the floor, do not come up right away. Stay low for about three seconds and keep your chest tightened up. I promise you a difference in your workout. Get back to me and let me know how it works for you
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    treadmill - 60mins uphill (glutes) 3.5mph
    shoulder press w/ 8-10lbs wgt - 2x20
    dead lifts- 10lbs wtg - 2x20
    bicep curls- 8lbs wgt - 2x20
    leg extension - 90lbs- 2x50

i need to tone my arms
  • curtisperk
    Options

Crunches
    Lunges with bicep curls
    Jumping Jacks
    Pushups

Thanks Man!

Tell you what, when doing pushups, tighten your chest and suck your butt in. Tighten your triceps. When you bring your body down to the floor, do not come up right away. Stay low for about three seconds and keep your chest tightened up. I promise you a difference in your workout. Get back to me and let me know how it works for you

Thanks! I'll try this out tomorrow during my morning workout and tell ya how it goes.
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options
    1. Cardio
    2. Squats w/ 50 lbs
    3. Lunges w/ 8 lbs handweights, bicep curl for each lunge forward
    4. Abs Express class - lots of planks, crunches, situps, reverse crunches, scissors, flutter kicks, ect
    5. Push-ups (modified/girl-style) holding the "down" position for 5-10 seconds for every 5

Help me kick it up!
    This sounds solid! But you are mixing your lunges with biceps. You will never build a solid body when you mix two body parts at the same work out. Believe it or not, most of losing the fat and toning is not on how much weight you do or how much you do in a set. Its technique. You wont build your biceps with your mind focused on your legs. Try this, Lunges, and with each lunge, Tighten your calf and hamstrings. Make it burn. Then go to biceps. Curl slowly, and when you peak, tighten them biceps. Its all about technique. And do Abs daily, for get the break. Your abs are the fastest growing muscle. You work them when you dont expect it. Just rotate the exercise daily.
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options
    I just barely started with MFP yesterday, but i would love to know what i could do to really benefit me and help me tone up my stomach and the padded area in the back..lol any advice on any workouts for me will definately be appreciated. :)
    Start with cardio, 30 minutes to 60 minutes a day. Get your body used to sweating and working out. Power walking burns and does wonders when losing fat. Try this for a week and get back to me. Remember fast and steady. Go a pace that you can keep for 3 miles at least.
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options
    Well in reality it depends on the day, Upper, Lower, or cardio, So I will cheat and give for the day(s)

Lower Body:
    Back Squat
    Front Squat
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raise

Upper Body:
    Standing Shoulder Press

Cardio(Treadmill)
    Chin-Ups
    Pull-Ups

• derrickmcgill90
    Options

Lower Body:
    Back Squat
    Front Squat
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raise

Upper Body:
    Standing Shoulder Press

Cardio(Treadmill)
    Chin-Ups
    Pull-Ups

tell you what, this is really good. Im amazed. I am a guru with nutrition and exercise and this is good. How bout this tho. Mix up your cardio. Tredmills every day just stops working for your body. You have to shock your body with new cardio. Jump rope is amazing tool for cardio. try it
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    All I really know how to do is cardio and my 30DS.

Can you tell me what I should be doing?

Edit: My cardio is something different all the time.
    Usually I do either elliptical or treadmill for 45 minutes.
    Then the bike for 15 minutes to cool down.
    I do speed/incline intervals on both the elliptical and treadmill.
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options

i need to tone my arms
    for you... try cutting the 2x20 down to 5x10. Giver your body that break and do the extra ten. I lift for strength so I do 5x5 block build. But try the 5x10 at a nice weight. Oh and gotta get that chest. Try Dumbell flys for females. Instead of it building the muscle like bench, It will shape your chest and breast area and make you feel 20 again. burns alot of excess tissue and leaves the rest.
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options

i need to tone my arms
    for you... try cutting the 2x20 down to 5x10. Giver your body that break and do the extra ten. I lift for strength so I do 5x5 block build. But try the 5x10 at a nice weight. Oh and gotta get that chest. Try Dumbell flys for females. Instead of it building the muscle like bench, It will shape your chest and breast area and make you feel 20 again. burns alot of excess tissue and leaves the rest.
    Oh and try this also, On bicept curls, tighten up when you reach the peak and go SLOW. Thats the way to tone them arms
  • derrickmcgill90
    Options

• derrickmcgill90
    Options

Thats fine cardio. Its good that you mix the eliptical (which actually tones you alot better that treadmills) with the running. Try this. Get on a stairmaster and ride it for about 10 minutes going at a decent speed. That will tone that belly right up. Oh and if you want a tone belly, Get on a pullup bar and bring your knees to your chest. Then twist your hips left and right like you are doing the twist. Do this 5x20. Mix this with leg raises and crunches.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Thats fine cardio. Its good that you mix the eliptical (which actually tones you alot better that treadmills) with the running. Try this. Get on a stairmaster and ride it for about 10 minutes going at a decent speed. That will tone that belly right up. Oh and if you want a tone belly, Get on a pullup bar and bring your knees to your chest. Then twist your hips left and right like you are doing the twist. Do this 5x20. Mix this with leg raises and crunches.

My gym doesn't have a stair-stepper, but we do have a Arc Crosstrainer, and I think it's basically the same thing. Sometimes I'll just on it for about 15 minutes. It kills me, so I can't do much more than that.

Now, you're saying twist while my knees are to my chest?
    I can manage that.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Lower Body:
    Back Squat
    Front Squat
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls
    Calf Raise

Upper Body:
    Standing Shoulder Press

Cardio(Treadmill)
    Chin-Ups
    Pull-Ups

tell you what, this is really good. Im amazed. I am a guru with nutrition and exercise and this is good. How bout this tho. Mix up your cardio. Tredmills every day just stops working for your body. You have to shock your body with new cardio. Jump rope is amazing tool for cardio. try it

Thank you.

Yes I use to have an Elliptical & a Treadmill, but nothing makes me feel good like a treadmill. I know I switch it up in strength training to avoid boredom, lol. I did Dumbbell bench Press as opposed to barbell, and Standing OH Press instead of Seated Dumbbell.. so it's nice to hit about the same muscles, but do it differently to keep your mind from wandering or getting antsy.

I actually use to in cooperate a little jump rope when I had space in my basement(I work out from home, no membership just lots of equipment, lol) and now I don't have the room for clearance.. If I had the galls I would do it outside, but maybe I will look into in cooperating that once again, find a spot and just do it. Now that I have used a HRM for months now, seeing the benefits and cardio vascular improvement, it would be curious to see how my HR takes Jump Rope into account, as opposed to it's probably memorized Treadmill routine.

Thanks again. :)
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Training for a Triathlon:

Swim 3x week 900 to 1200 meters mix distance/sprints
    walk/run 60 x 3
    spin class 2 x week
    Bike on the road 2 x week 3 miles each time
  • curtisperk
    Options
    The pushups went a lot better this time! After using your tips I actually felt like I was doing a real pushup. Thanks!