So sore!! Did I do to much?

Options
Wow! I went to the gym yest. for my first personal training session..we talked fora bit..then did a workout where I mostly did different squats and cardio, worked on various muscle groups..ect.

well..last night..it HURT!..from the top of my leg all the way down..i could barly move! I stretched..then went to bed at 8:00...waaay early!

Well..this morning..I got up at 5:15 to do week 3 day 2 of the couch 25K program...i still hurt..could barly sit on the 'john' to do my morning buisness! I made it to meet my amazing friend and finished the day...barly. :( I was doing so well!

All in all, i can't transition for a sitting position to standing very well (or without tears coming to my eyes!)..and walking..well..it sucks. :(

Did I do too much? Should I ask my PT to work on upper body so I can still complete my couch 25K program without feeling like the slow fat girl that slows everyone down?..or..is this normal..give myself some time..and in the end it will help even more.

I guess..I hurt..and I dont' know what to do :( any help woudl be great!!!

Replies

• jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A couple of things can help prevent soreness....be sure you are stretching right after you work out, drink tons of water, and make sure you have some protein within 30 minutes of your workout. Having said that, some soreness is just part of starting a workout routine. If your gym has a hot tub/jacuzzi you could try soaking and letting the jets hit you directly on the sore spots. When I first started taking Body Pump I had to sit and let the jets hit my triceps. After the fact, bananas and calcium will probably help with soreness.
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You need to understand the difference between feeling "sore" and feeling "pain."

Soreness s lactic acid leaving the muscles. We all get it when we start a new program, try a new video or simply overdo it-as you suggest. Sore is GOOD! If you even stop feeling sore, you should mix up the exercises or try heavier weights.

Regarding pain, you will know. It won't be that dull, achy feeling. More than likely it will be sharp and shooting. If you have pain, then you have an injury. Talk to your PT about self-care and ways to prevent that in the future. Give yourself time to recover. It's tough to take time off, but worth it!
  • curtisperk
    curtisperk Posts: 27
    Options
    If it is really pain, then you may have pulled a muscle, if not, then it's just from your intense workout. The best way to prevent pulling a muscle is to warm up before your workout and cool down after your workout (stretching and walking). The warm up will make the blood flow better and warm your muscles so they can be worked safely. The cool down will allow your muscles to what I call, "calm down".
    But I would talk you your personal trainer and your doctor, they will definitely have the right info for ya. Also ask your personal trainer about warming up before you start.
    Good luck!