RDA SUGAR

Options
Hey All,

Thanks for help in advance.

I'm not a fan of sugar or any type of sugar, I am trying to get more fibre into me and that involved eating some fruit which I'm not fussed about.

I don't really eat confectionary or biscuits or processed foods so does anyone else find it difficult to stay under 30g of sugar a day.

Averaging about 1600-1800 calories a day.

Stelios

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you eat lower GI fruits, your sugar consumption will go down. Berries are the lowest gi fruits, beyond cucumbers and tomatoes. Apples, nectarines, peaches, plums and oranges are probably next. The most sugar laden fruits are dates, figs, grapes (raisins), and tropical fruits like bananas and mangos.

Nuts and veggies are low in sugar yet still have fibre and may be a good option for you.

Best wishes.
  • the_stelios
    the_stelios Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, will have a look at all of that seems like solid advice
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to keep all sugars (not just added) that low or worrying about sugar from fruit? Usually there's no need to absent a specific medical condition.

There are lots of fiber sources that have lower sugar, but you may be worried about something that is unnecessary. There's no credible evidence that fruit is going to be a problem unless you are going over calories or not getting adequate protein or veg or other things you should have.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    How/why did you determine 30g of sugar? I am sitting at 1650 calories and my sugar calculates to be 62g.

I don't track sugar but on occasion I view my daily report to see where my nutrients are coming from. As long as the majority of my sugar is coming from fruits and vegetables I am not too concerned.

I also feel that sometimes the trade-off is worth it. I get added sugar from my V8 juice but it also gives me 900mg of potassium which I need because of HBP.

Yes bananas have a lot of sugar but it also has a lot of other things that are good for you.

My advice would be is to look and see if the food gives you other nutrients that you need.
  • the_stelios
    Options
    Unless I have set it while ago my settings seem to recommend 30g a day on MFP. Ideally I want to avoid type 2 diabetes in life as it is prevalent in family.

Also I'm not really into sweet food either.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

Thanks for help in advance.

I'm not a fan of sugar or any type of sugar, I am trying to get more fibre into me and that involved eating some fruit which I'm not fussed about.

I don't really eat confectionary or biscuits or processed foods so does anyone else find it difficult to stay under 30g of sugar a day.

Averaging about 1600-1800 calories a day.

Stelios

Why 30g ? 30 * 4 = 120 calories so that's less than 10% of your calorie intake which isn't anyone's RDA that I'm aware of.

Total sugars RDAs tend to be 90 or 100 grams per day for population maintenance intakes, MFP uses 15% of calories so 1600 * 15% / 4 = 60 grams in your case.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Unless I have set it while ago my settings seem to recommend 30g a day on MFP. Ideally I want to avoid type 2 diabetes in life as it is prevalent in family.

Also I'm not really into sweet food either.

Try rerunning it -- it should be 15% of your total calorie goal. No harm in eating less if that's where your preferences take you, but no reason to worry about eating a couple pieces of fruit or, say, sweet potato or beets, plus some veg or dairy, either, and that can easily take you over 30.
  • the_stelios
    Options
    I have just had a look and now it says 56, not sure why or how.

What do you all make of the settings?

r3sy1y8lpbc8.png
    6cwssemxkc0f.png
  • the_stelios
    Options
    It's all sort of changed as it was set to 1690 calories and now it's less
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1500 cals * 15% / 4 = 56.25 grams sugar. Correct :-)

I'm guessing you lost weight since you last ran the goal setting ~2 years ago (you had the pre-Jan 2014 sugar allowance).
  • the_stelios
    Options
    Oh I see :)