When you're getting sick... Exercise?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
My husband has been pretty sick for a few days (flu-like symptoms, but a little cold knocks him out, so I don't know how serious it actually is, he's a the doctor now).

Anyway, I started having a sore throat yesterday and my nose was stuffy all night and this morning my throat is worse. Woohoo, it's only been 3 weeks since I was sick (and needed antibiotics). So I'm popping Zicam and hope it doesn't get worse. I don't want worse, especially as I have asthma and I just can't afford it to get to my lungs. It's really not bad right now, feeling a little lightheaded and tired and definitely not 100% but good enough to do every day chores etc.

Anyway... What do you do about exercise when that happens? Usually I'd hop on my bike at home anyway but I've been doing that for 2 days and I want to rest my quads (plus tomorrow I won't have time to go to the gym so bike it's going to have to be anyway)... Ideally I want to go to the gym to do some rowing/uphill walking, but I'm not well enough to have a really good workout, and I'm not sure it's ideal to spread my germs, even though I'm not THAT sick. I could use my dumbbells at home but my kids managed to break one ($150 dumbbell, thank you very much), so it would basically only be upper body and only one side at a time, which totally sucks.

My last 'rest' day was on Tuesday but we went to the city and walked quite a bit.

Take a rest day? Go to the gym anyway? Advice? I've been really getting back on track and I'm seriously bummed about it. I swear every time I manage to stick to a deficit for more than 5 days, I end up getting sick again!

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is that if the pains are above the head, you're dealing with a cold and can workout. If they're below the neck, such as aches, it's the flu, and you shouldn't. It's an old saying but anyways..

Listen to your body. Even over-doing yourself with a cold can lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness, especially if you have the flu in your house. It also can take away energy of fixing the cold to repairing muscle, making a cold last longer. However, that's not to say all of this is going to happen, but just listen to your body. If you notice it tiring quickly, give yourself a break to heal.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd take the day off. Or you could just get up and walk around your house more. It does burn more calories, you could time yourself if you really feel like logging it, but otherwise it would just be like a few extra bonus calories burned if you stick to your deficit.

I don't know your calorie goal or deficit, but if it's something that's incredibly low unless you exercise, maybe change your goal in mfp while you're sick to a smaller deficit or even maintenance until you're better.
  • b_magill
    b_magill Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I usually tell my clients that movement is good when you're sick (so long as you're not actively vomiting or have a fever). It moves lymph fluid along and helps your body deal with the illness better by increasing blood flow to carry away the crud. But, I always caution it to be gentle exercise. Stretching, yoga, or a gentle walk is enough. Your body needs to heal, but it doesn't need to be babied, you know?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just had the flu for over 2 weeks. I didn't slow down much because it was a very busy time at work, which is probably why it lasted so long. Take a break. Eat some comfort foods. Feel better. You don't need to push it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    With the asthma thing, I wouldn't risk it. I know that feeling of impending doom every time I get a sniffle. Could be fine, could be a month or more of hell in the making. Take it easy for a few days. Go walking (if the air isn't too cold and dry). Whatever you do to hopefully keep it from moving down (oral/inhaled meds, humidifier, etc) start on that now. Toughing it out just isn't worth it when there are other issues at play.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I spent a good 1.5 hour sorting recycling and taking down Christmas decorations so I guess at least I got something done today. Ugh...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As someone who is immunosuppressed please don't go to the gym while sick.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As someone who is immunosuppressed please don't go to the gym while sick.
    +1,000
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do light workouts at home to the extent you are able. Although you don't feel "that sick" you are contagious, so don't spread your germs at the gym.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Skip the workout if you feel tired or weak.

Oregano oil capsules can work wonders for a faster recovery.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do light workouts at home to the extent you are able. Although you don't feel "that sick" you are contagious, so don't spread your germs at the gym.

Agreed
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Exercise temporarily suppresses immunity. I don't do it if I'm sick.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't exercise.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found a 20 minute "yoga for when you're sick" YouTube video last time I was sick. Great for stretching and opening up the airways. It sounds like you may struggle with taking rest days. Be careful of the mindset where you must always be productive in order to feel good.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just stop. There's the old, above the neck, ok, below the neck, no. But, I think it's crap. For me, all colds turn into respiratory issues. So, I stop for a week. Seems excessive for a cold, but I don't get sick anymore. My colds used to last months because I'd just keep going to the gym.

This. Rules of thumb are only rules of thumb, so practically useless in any more particular situation. Above the neck can mean a nasty sinusitis which takes a lot of antibiotics and time to clear, or even worse stuff.

Listen to your body - rest and relax, allow it to heal.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If I'm just sniffly or bunged up, I go for a run or workout at home. I leave the gym and pool free from my sneezing and coughing.

If I've got a banging headache, a high temperature, aches, or feel nauseous, I'm resting until I improve. I am not brave or stoical when I'm unwell. You will find me under a duvet on the sofa, whinging until someone brings me soup.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've been under the weather the last few days - sore throat, headaches, body aches. I've been walking and that's it.

Today is the first day I haven't had to take Tylenol or ibuprofen for the pain.

Tomorrow I get back into the grind of life. I'll run in the morning, but at a slower pace than normal since I've taken almost a whole week off from running.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on how i feel, but if i think i even MIGHT be contagious i dont do anything at the gym. take a walk, ride your own bike, but avoid public areas and touching things others will touch.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Stay home and rest