IIFYM QUESTION OF CURIOSITY

Options
so if you eat accordingly to your macros but you sugars and sodium are over, does that stop your progress? Or that doesn't matter?
What does your sugar and sodium in take do?

Thanks!

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    They can be useful to track if you have certain medical conditions, or if you personally have goals around them. If you eat within your overall calories (which is implied by eating within your macros) you will make progress. Sodium might make you retain some extra water for a day or two, no big deal but it will show on the scale until your kidneys filter the excess sodium out.

I never look at sugar or sodium as I have no reason to care about either.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I only worried about sodium when I was trying to lower my blood pressure. But going over both on some days didn't seem to prevent me from losing the weight. :)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If you take in extra sodium, you will see a slight gain on the scale. I try to stay within my goals due to high blood pressure. But it's no big deal if you don't have a medical issue.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Very high sodium consumption can cause water retention, which can make it look like you maintained or gained weight despite being in a calorie deficit.

Sugar... I haven't found much use for it (even as a diabetic). Sugar is a carbohydrate, so it's included in the carb counts also. I personally track fiber instead of sugar.
  • Angel0298
    Angel0298 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have a way to break down natural or added sugar. You're the one who checks the labels for added sugar and it is included in the carbs. I mean I wouldn't drink a can of soda just because I had room in my carbs since it's basically all sugar. I lower the sodium goal number on mine because of my heart. The doctor wanted me to keep it under 1500.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar and sodium are about nutrition and health. Sodium is going to matter if you have blood pressure issues (or if they run in your family) and might be worth watching if you eat lots of packaged stuff. There's quite a bit of debate on the appropriate limit, and someone who exercises a lot or gets enough potassium will have less reason to worry about sodium (except for during a long hot workout, perhaps, when you can get too low). Sugar is a really rough way of trying to be sure your diet isn't disproportionally low nutrient/high cal sweet stuff, but isn't all that helpful since MFP doesn't distinguish between added sugar and intrinsic sugars (as labels don't allow that). IMO, it makes more sense to simply be aware of where your sugar is from and watch overall carbs and fiber. If you are within your carbs, get enough protein, eat a good amount of vegetables, and have plenty of fiber, it is unlikely that your diet is going to have room for lots of low nutrient sweet stuff.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sodium can raise blood pressure, Sugar can raise fat accumulation.