double work outs and eating

Options
OK i have been at a plateau for a while so I am starting over -monday was day 1. Today I did 2 workouts-1 running 2.0 miles the other 3.25 miles. the amount of calories I burned today from excercise was over 1700 calories - how th heck am I suppose to eat that back?

I'm trying to figureout what to eat - i know I need to eat back some of the calories but here is another question. If the people on the biggest loser work out for like 6 hours a day how can they eat back all those calories? shouldn't the deficit help with the weight loss - i;m not hungry and still eating.

help me understand what i need to do

Replies

• tgosney
    tgosney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, I won't eat back my calories. If I am hungry, I will eat some back, but not all of them. Understand that our bodies do need that fuel for more energy spent. Maybe you should experiment with the amount you eat back and how your body reacts to it. I know that takes some time, but it would be better to know that to eat too many back and not lose at all. Make sense?
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    I started adding Peanut Butter to my celery stick to be higher in calories,,,peanut butter is good for you and 200 calories for 2 tbsp....
    I understand what your saying,,I don't always eat back my workout calories either....
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've done that a few days, and I always eat some of the calories back, but not necessarily all of them. I would use this as a time to indulge in a few of the more calorie dense foods you wouldn't eat as much. Put some cheese in your sandwich, add a little hummus and crackers to a meal etc.

It's important you not leave TOO much of a deficit on a regular basis, but every little while it shouldn't hurt, and you shouldn't be forcing yourself to eat.
  • louprocter
    Options
    I think if you have weight to loose then you shouldnt be eating any of you workout calories, 1700 is alot to burn daily, perhaps try and aim for this twic3e a wk and 500 calories every other day. Michelle bridges says this - Eat more calories than i burn, ill get fat, burn more calories than i eat ill get thin. Really simple, but burning 1700 calories and eating 1200-1600 calories a day will only help you loose weight quicker. hope that helps. Michelle bridges only ever eats 1200 calories and has one treat meal too, and she excercises ALOT! The bosy doesnt actually need that much food. :) Good luck with your journey!
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    HI...I've made a daily calorie intake goal for me. I have my MPF set to 1200 calories....if I exercise that day i will eat the calories back up to a total of 1500 calories total intake. If i don't exercise that day i try to stay under 1500. See if you can figure out a good calorie intake based on your metabolism and weight and try that.

If that doesn't work.....I say go on your hunger instinct....if you are abolutely starving....have a protien snack....but don't load up on sugar or carbs just because you have the 'earned" calories! You might be defeating the purpose of your work out! hope this helps!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Our minds tend to think about shows like the biggest loser and wonder how they do it. The reality is, it's TV, and producers of the shows are able to make things appear a certain way. I tend to think that severely obese people are able to lose weight much faster initially when their extremely high calorie diets are brought back down to earth.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    First of all I wouldn't compare what I am doing to the TBL.

Honestly I think it's impossible for anyone who is morbidly obese or has over 100lbs to lose to eat back all the exercise calories. Focus on getting at least a net of 1200 calories or more, eating at least 3 well balanced meals and 2 snacks, drinking plenty of water and sensible exercise. I review what I am doing with my doctor. I also make sure to get protein both pre and post workout. I also have cut out processed foods and soda from my diet in order to make sure that I am eating as healthy as possible.

Just took a peek at your diary. You should try eating a more substantial breakfast. Also try to limit the amount of processed foods you eat and increase the green veg. I would expand to look at the sugar and sodium because I'm am wondering if your plateau came from high sodium levels causing you to retain water.
  • pattygirl120
    pattygirl120 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. How does running a total of 5.25 miles burn 1700 calories? A typical person burns anywhere from 90 to 115 calories per mile walked or ran.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. How does running a total of 5.25 miles burn 1700 calories? A typical person burns anywhere from 90 to 115 calories per mile walked or ran.
    When you carry a lot of weight, the body has to work that much harder to activities. My orthopedics said each step at my current weight is 3 times that amount of weight on my knees. It's quite possible for the OP to burn that much doing her activities.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and the calories seem really low..any way you can get to a net of 1200?
  • vdub88
    vdub88 Posts: 79
    Options

I wear a heart rate monitor and I weigh 240 pounds - the more you weigh the more you burn - if you weigh 150 pounds and run a mile that might be true but I weigh 240 pounds when i run a mile i burn more calories due to my size.