Anyone else travel a lot for work? Tips? Tricks?

Options
Hey gang, does anyone have any handy dandy tricks for navigating the mine field of both domestic and international travel? I was fortunate to be home all of December and have had great success towards my goal thus far. As of tomorrow, I go back to traveling around 50% of the time.

This means airports, airline food, hotel rooms (either no kitchen or no availability in schedule to cook/prepare food), client meetings, going out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's the ultimate test.

Anyone else have this challenge, and if so, please share your secrets!

Replies

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not an expert... A couple tips:
    - I rarely miss a workout and usually can fit in a slight longer session when I'm away. This is important as exercise makes me feel so much better, especially when jet lagged. Just dig deep to get to the gym. The calorie expenditure helps offset the meals and treats associated with travel.
    - I usually bring food (if possible, but its sometimes tricky with international travel) or buy a few things, such as homemade granola bars, muesli, plain yogurt, etc so I have a much less expensive and healthier bite for breakfast than usually available at a conference or hotel.
    - I'm a small, 51 yr old woman. I try to eat only half of a restaurant portion. I almost never take dessert.
    - At coffee breaks, I am often tempted by sweets, but I just try to take one or two bites, just to satisfy my curiosity. If it's truly delicious, I might finish it, but they are usually not so good and easy to put aside. I find it easier to take a big bite and leave the rest than to completely refuse.
    - I never drink soft drinks. I just don't like them, but it's helpful to avoid sweet drinks. Similarly, I take my coffee black and tea clear. Never any fancy sweetened drinks from coffee shops... I stick to white wine or vodka and club soda if I take an alcoholic beverage.

Good luck. I have a fair bit of travel planned for 2016, too, so I hope I can continue doing as well as I did in 2015.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Well, I'm not an expert... A couple tips:
    - I rarely miss a workout and usually can fit in a slight longer session when I'm away. This is important as exercise makes me feel so much better, especially when jet lagged. Just dig deep to get to the gym. The calorie expenditure helps offset the meals and treats associated with travel.
    - I usually bring food (if possible, but its sometimes tricky with international travel) or buy a few things, such as homemade granola bars, muesli, plain yogurt, etc so I have a much less expensive and healthier bite for breakfast than usually available at a conference or hotel.
    - I'm a small, 51 yr old woman. I try to eat only half of a restaurant portion. I almost never take dessert.
    - At coffee breaks, I am often tempted by sweets, but I just try to take one or two bites, just to satisfy my curiosity. If it's truly delicious, I might finish it, but they are usually not so good and easy to put aside. I find it easier to take a big bite and leave the rest than to completely refuse.
    - I never drink soft drinks. I just don't like them, but it's helpful to avoid sweet drinks. Similarly, I take my coffee black and tea clear. Never any fancy sweetened drinks from coffee shops... I stick to white wine or vodka and club soda if I take an alcoholic beverage.

Good luck. I have a fair bit of travel planned for 2016, too, so I hope I can continue doing as well as I did in 2015.

This is very helpful, thank you for taking the time to share this! I was half afraid I might get another CICO drone answer (or ten).

Agreed on keeping up with the exercise, it's one of the few times to be in a position where a full gym is just downstairs, huh?

Coffee breaks are definitely a danger zone, I think I might duck out and pick up some herbal tea and jerky so I can have those on hand for emergencies.
  • mlcollins89
    mlcollins89 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I too travel for lengths in end for work (just finished 3mths of work travel). As mentioned above, I always try to maintain workouts even on the road. Whether it's using the hotel gyms, in room workouts (t-25) or getting a guest pass at a local gym. I find working out not only makes me feel better mentally, but it helps me sleep better and make healthier food choices.

I know it's not always possible, but keeping a cooler in the car definitely helps. For myself, there will be times where I'm working 7am-3pm with no time to stop for food. Keeping some fresh fruit/yogurt/veg etc in a cooler helps keep hunger at bay and then when I finally do stop for meal I'm not making extreme choices based on being hangry.

As far as restaurants go, I usually opt for
    lean proteins, veg, salads but definitely treat yourself once in a while. Travelling for work can be extremely tough and sometimes you need to enjoy the highly-rated restaurants well-known dish and a glass of wine (free meals are a perk of work travel after all !) even if it means lightening your calorie consumption the next day!

Safe travels !
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Hey gang, does anyone have any handy dandy tricks for navigating the mine field of both domestic and international travel? I was fortunate to be home all of December and have had great success towards my goal thus far. As of tomorrow, I go back to traveling around 50% of the time.

This means airports, airline food, hotel rooms (either no kitchen or no availability in schedule to cook/prepare food), client meetings, going out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's the ultimate test.

Anyone else have this challenge, and if so, please share your secrets!

Will be hard to share all my secrets in just one post but here are a few :)
    1) Rather than sitting and waiting for the plane, I walk the airport terminal. Given that you travel so much you probably have status so no need standing around waiting for a line that you can quickly get into. The activity tracker helps me here
    2) Find the favorite foods in the airport that can fit into your calorie goals. If you have a lounge membership, vegetables and fruits are your friends (and cheese)
    3) Everyday I hit the gym in the morning to burn at least 500 calories. I don't know who is going to want to go drinking or have dinner at night
    4) If you travel that much you either get free breakfast or you have club access. I grab a few snacks to nibble on. I also take a few diet drinks, water back to my room for a late night drink versus eat
    5) I have a light lunch, once again I don't know who is going to want to go eating and drinking at night
    6) I allocate a reserve for drinks - once again, I don't know who is going to want to go eating and drinking at night
    7) When in doubt, meat and vegetables

My biggest reason for using MFP is to control my travel eating. Good luck.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My dad travels a lot for work. I know he tries to take packaged food like protein bars with him in case he's hungry and there's no acceptable options around, so he never has to get so hungry he's rammed three burgers in his face before he has time to think. He's fortunate in that his working days are shorter when he's at other sites, so he can fit in a ride or a gym session before or after work with relative ease compared to his schedule at home.
    My dad's piece of advice for eating out is 'they will ALWAYS be able to make you a steak or a chicken breast with a jacket potato - it ain't exciting but it'll do'. He is boring with food, but hopefully most places will have a meal which won't break the calorie bank.
    I like the advice from @spzjlb about just taking a bite if something looks really tempting. That way you're not missing out but you're not going overboard either.
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    Guys, this is wonderful advice, thank you. Especially true regarding sitting at the terminal, I am so guilty of this and there's no reason for it!

20years: that is so true what you said about drinking - often times you are in a situation where it is very much expected that you will participate in the festivities and this is a major contributor to calories. I might try something I experimented with over the Christmas break with family (both sides love a drink): drinking soda water and pretending it has vodka in it. Dishonest I know but achieves the objective (mine, at least).
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Guys, this is wonderful advice, thank you. Especially true regarding sitting at the terminal, I am so guilty of this and there's no reason for it!

20years: that is so true what you said about drinking - often times you are in a situation where it is very much expected that you will participate in the festivities and this is a major contributor to calories. I might try something I experimented with over the Christmas break with family (both sides love a drink): drinking soda water and pretending it has vodka in it. Dishonest I know but achieves the objective (mine, at least).

you have to do what you have to do. Sometimes I nurse a beer for the whole night and drink lots of water first :)
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    BTW, one thing that I found is that the first night everyone does what they want, but the second night or day, after seeing what I order, many change their menus to more nutritional choices. I am not saying anything and I still eat a lot in their eyes, my choices are just different and fit within my calorie goals.
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    I wish that were the case! Second night this week we're going to a Brazilian steak house, nommmm! Everyone will be in a meat coma by about 9pm, heh. I've already scouted the menu out and have my eye on the grilled jumbo shrimp entree (4 pieces), with a side salad. Planning ahead is everything.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    My SO travels a lot, mostly road trips but enough air time that he has plans for that too.

He always has a stack of fruits and nuts to munch on. (picks up as he travels).

Has now made salad his friend. Grilled prawns or chicken and dressing on the side. I never thought this would happen.

Drinks a couple of glasses of wine with vast quantities of water interspersed, instead of gallons of beer.

Gin and 0tonic alternated with just 0 tonic. A good bartender serves them just the same so you don't look like a party pooper.

Travels with his gym bag and swims or runs as time allows. I have tried encouraging him to do Nerdfitness body work routine in his room, but he hasn't bitten yet. Not a weights type guy, yet.

Chicken wings used to be his demise. Now he knows the cal count of them he has one then sticks to the veg plate.

It is a difficult balancing act as it is so easy to be swayed by the people you are with. Good luck in your 2016 travels.

Cheers, h.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm headed out on a week-long trip next week. I pack a lot of food! I try to make sure I get enough protein and fiber and assume that somewhere along the line there will be an indulgent meal or two. All of my clients seem to want to take me to the 'nice' restaurant in town, which always seems to be an Italian place that only serves pieces of cheese-drenched lasagna as big as your head. I figure if I can be smart for breakfast and lunch, then dinner--when I often have less control--can be managed.

Some of what I bring:

Plain instant oatmeal (easy to make in the hotel room with hot water from the coffee maker and the to-go cups they usually have in room, or down at the coffee station in the lobby)
    Protein powder, either to beef up the oatmeal or to add to milk (Quest sells individual serving packets)
    High fiber granola bars (I like Trader Joe's)
    Popcorn (again, I like Trader Joe's lite kettle corn)
    Nuts, individual packs premeasured
    Fruit and veg--apples, pears, grapes, and semi-cooked carrots with powdered ginger (yum!)

If it is a road trip and I can bring a cooler, I'll bring yogurt, cooked hamburger patties, cheese, grilled chicken, etc. (I'm ok with it being cold). I can get a plain garden salad at McDonald's or wherever and add stuff to it.

Fast food is always there with some ok caloric choices, but I really avoid it. For me, the massive amounts of sodium I end up eating on the road leave me feeling completely gross, so I do what I can to keep it in check. The alcohol at events/dinners doesn't help!

Drinking water is important. I find I often don't drink as much when traveling.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I identify hotels that I can get a decent run from, so Strava global heatmap is very useful.

I don't drink alcohol when I travel, soda water or slimline tonic with ice and a slice.

The company deal is B&B, so I can load up on cheese, cold meat, yoghurt and fruit. I avoid cooked breakfasts and bread.

I keep granola bars, dried fruit, nuts and fruit in my bag or in the car.
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    You guys might recognize some of your brilliant recommendations here, plus some venison and jalapeño semi dried sausage I found, high protein, moderate sodium, and only 50 cals a serve, yes please!uj8eghw41yv2.jpeg
  • cmerideth73
    cmerideth73 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think the first step is plan your trip before you go. Generally, I fly somewhere for a couple of days and then I am back.

For diet, I load up on protein bars, healthy fats like almonds for snacks, and drink lots of water for long meetings. I look for opportunities to get grilled foods when eating out and try to eat something healthy before big dinner meetings just to keep my temptations in check. Hard to want dessert if your full.

For exercise, it is a great opportunity to see the town I am in and there is always the hotel gym. I bumped into Karl Rove once in the elevator. I was fully dressed in an UA Iron Man outfit, I am sure he got a laugh. If that is not available, there are excellent in room exercises you can do, I bought Insanity DVDS. I have hit the hotel stairwell many times as well.

Failing to plan is planning to fail. #Protectthefuture #Livefortoday
  • Rabidrunner
    Options
    Very good points, thank you.

For international travel, anyone have any suggestions on food during the flight? Or, alternatively, whether you can obtain nutritional data for airline food?