heathy food

vblood55
vblood55 Posts: 5 Member
Hi I love food but I want to eat right and heathy. If anyone knows how to do that please tell me.

Replies

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Well it depends what your goals are. Are you trying to lose weight or gain weight? Are you a lifter or an endurance athlete or neither? If you want some help we need more details.
  • ShannonSandlin1
    ShannonSandlin1 Posts: 1 Member
    I would suggest signing up for a CSA like farmfreshtoyou.com. Sign up for more veggies than fruit. What I do is I pre-cook a large batch of 1-2 different dishes into a ton of meals every week. Then I pre portion them all out and freeze them. I have a rotation of a months worth of different dishes to enjoy whenever that way. The trick is you have to keep making new things so you don't get bored with the healthy alternatives you have stored up. I love hearty foods and it really works. Some of my favorites are turkey and lean steak chili... you use 1/4 the beans and 1/2 the suggested meat (1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 seared steak) and substitute the rest for corn, green beans, jalapeños, carrots, diced zucchini, and whatever else. Another great substitute is pureed steamed cauliflower instead of mashers. They work best when you cut the head into small chunks, steam them (do NOT boil!) and then hand mash them into a rough mash. You mix them with a little whole milk, a tiny bit of butter, and some garlic powder and sea salt. YUM! Also, a nice stew, no-crust pot pie, or clam chowder are great to freeze. Substitute whole red radishes for mini potatoes. They end up turning white when they cook and they really do the trick. My suggestion is to not starve yourself or eat things you don't like. Make things you like but try to make them healthier while still tasting amazing. If your favorite thing to eat is a burger, then make it with 1/3 beef and 2/3 turkey or chicken, make a smaller patty, use light mayo, and add more lettuce, tomato, ketchup, onion, whatever. Get a smaller bun or better yet, use lettuce instead of the bun. Make it with a side of pickles and a greek yogurt slaw and you're satisfied but consumed about 1/3 the calories. BUT, burgers aren't all that bad for you. Look at what you're eating and what calories are in it. A regular burger is just as bad for you as most sandwiches. Just be educated about it all :) hope that helped.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Healthy can mean many things - what does "healthy" mean to you?
  • vblood55
    I'm trying to loss wight and health means to me is not eating fat and greasy foods.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    vblood55 wrote: »
    I'm trying to loss wight and health means to me is not eating fat and greasy foods.

Fat is good for you. You still have to eat a certain amount of fat. Perhaps you have a little research to do.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It's not helpful to divide foods into good and bad, healthy or unhealthy. It all comes down to quantities, or portion control.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Okay the basics of weight loss are

1) Find out your current calorie burn in a day
    2) Subtract the amount of calories equivalent to how fast you want to lose weight
    3) Eat that amount.

It really is a numbers game of calories in and calories out. So it's not necessarily what you eat, but how much you eat. That being said your body will be much happier if you make "healthy choices". The term healthy really is subjective, but most people agree a healthy diet ensures your body gets the proper amount of macronutrients and micronutrients.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    A salad?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    How about starting with:
    *moderate portion of lean meat such as pork, chicken, beef or fish broiled or seared rather than fried;
    * whole grains froum sources like oatmeal, whole grain breads and sides such as brown rice and quinoa
    and LOTS and LOTS of raw and cooked veggies in soups, salads, or as sides or main dishes.
  • vblood55
    OK thank you all :)