Do I get it?

Options
Ok, I am a little confused on the calorie calculation. The current TEE for me to lose 1.5 lbs per week is 1,200 calories. I have been working out 4 times per week averaging 600 calories / day. I think I need to eat back some of the calories, correct? I would want to eat back 300 of the 600 earned, right?

Replies

• bettya262
    bettya262 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. Do you eat the 1340 calories it has me on to lose weight and just log my activity? Like the more you do the more calories you burn hence weight loss?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For both of you - the answer depends.

Are you using MFP? If so, their calorie goal number does not include exercise so you are supposed to log exercise and you will earn additional calories. Some people choose to eat a portion back as any method of estimation has a degree of error (even HRMs).

If you have used an outside calculator to figure TDEE - that includes exercise already and you don't.

MFP does not calculate TDEE (total Daily Energy Expenditure).
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When MFP does its little calculation and gives you a number of calories to eat in order to lose the amount of weight that you put in, it does not include exercise in that piece of math. So, yes, you can eat more calories if you exercise, and still lose according to the schedule you've set up. Whether you do or not, and how many, is pretty much up to you. Since the calorie estimates for the activities in the MFP database are somewhere between kinda high and ridiculous, most people will add maybe 50 or 75% of those calories back to their diet. Many people will tell you that you'll be much happier and healthier if you do add them back - some will even tell you that you MUST do it for one unsubstantiated reason or another. I personally say you should feel free to experiment and base that decision on how you feel. You may find that you're super hungry one day, and another day you just don't care. Or maybe, like me, you're always hungry and willing to work for extra food :). As long as you give yourself time to figure out what works for you, allowing you to maintain a deficit while still feeling good inside and out, it should be fine in the long run.
  • brianam204
    brianam204 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters, you don't want to go less than 1200 per day after all exercise and food. So yes, let's say your number was 1900ish, and you were at 1200 to lose 1.5 per week... Then if you did 500 worth of exercise, you'd want to eat that back. You could lose more by not eating it, but going less than 1200 a day (net) is bad stuff.
  • goillini91
    goillini91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    goillini91 wrote: »
    Ok, I am a little confused on the calorie calculation. The current TEE for me to lose 1.5 lbs per week is 1,200 calories. I have been working out 4 times per week averaging 600 calories / day. I think I need to eat back some of the calories, correct? I would want to eat back 300 of the 600 earned, right?

• goillini91
    Options

• goillini91
    Options
    Thanks, All!