Need healthy food items to help with sleep

Options
I have trouble sleeping and I need some healthy foods to help me sleep and it would be nice if it didn't involve cooking.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Warm milk?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Banana, walnut and greek yogurt eaten before (or already in) bed seem to work for me.

Probably more important to make sure you aren't having caffeine within about 6 hours of when you want to sleep.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Magnesium rich foods. Or consider a magnesium supplement like Calm.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some cheese with a carb.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take 500 mg GABA 20 mins before bed on empty stomach.
  • eggheadrn
    eggheadrn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I second the magnesium vote. Epsom salt bath, oral Mg, or mg foods....I always do one of these if I know I am likely to not sleep or if I have sore muscles.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I stop caffeine by 2-3 in the afternoon. Made a huge difference for me
  • GinnyRamsdale
    GinnyRamsdale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    magnesium also works for me. I have also been doing green shakes, and it seems to have helped the insomnia a lot.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    When I have trouble sleeping, I take melatonin. It was recommended to me by my doctor as an alternative to sleeping pills. I find it works really well. It is OTC but just check with your doctor to see if this would be safe for you.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I second melatonin - it works remarkably well! Other things that have helped me are chamomile tea, passionflower extract, l-theanine, and magnesium before bed. Good luck!