Do you use the calorie goal guidelines on MFP?

Options
Just wondered if people generally used the the calorie guidelines that MFP gives in the goal settings. I am about 160 lbs, with maybe 10 lbs to lose before being pretty lean. MFP suggests I eat under 1500 calories per day to lose 1lb per week. For me, and for most men, that would be very low. I am very hesitant to go under 1800 for more than a few days.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this, and whether they had followed the guidelines and if, so whether it worked.

Replies

• xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I follow their guidelines. I actually eat less than what they recommend. I've lost around 20 pounds so far.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Very great topic... i haven't seen one like this in a while..

At first, I used what was recommended.

Then after about a month or so of getting hang of the site and whatnot, I look at what MFP suggests and then customize my own about 100 calories less than what they suggest. cause I would like to lose 0.7 lbs/wk instead of 1 lb/week since I am close to my goal :)

ALSO - a lot of people have agreed with this - protein ratios on here are really low. I manually put my nutritional settings on 45% carbs, 35% proteins, 20% fats. (even though I am constantly under proteins and constantly over fats.. It lets me know what I need to eat next! haha.)
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. MFP set mine at 1200 daily and then also the calories burned while working out. I don't usually eat back all my calories, especially if I've had a long workout in a day. I have lost 90 lbs. since August of last year so I would have to say it works.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I actually used the guidelines found at the American Heart Association website and then adjusted my goals on MFP accordingly. I have been losing an average of 1 pound per week so I am very comfortable with my daily calorie goal that the AMA website set for me. I set my activity level at sedentary (I have a desk job) even though I work out 4 days/week. I just log my exercise calories, but felt it would be safest to set my activity level at sedentary for those days when I am less active.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    yes I do use the recommendation. It started me at 1480, I have lost 17 lbs and it has dropped me to 1200. I honestly some days find it hard to hit 1200 because I am eating a lot of fruit, vegetables and lean meats.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I find that, with the restrictions, I can easily begin to tell if I am eating healthily or not.
    Here's the thing: you may eat up to 2k cals a day, but they will be from processed, high fat foods (high density = high fat = high calories).
    If you eat fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein and (some) fats, you can easily hit these marks. it's up to you, but as long as your higher calorie intakes come from healthy dense calories (peanut butter, olive oil, potatoes, ect.) then I wouldn't worry about it.
    More than anything, I follow the percentages for fats, carbs, sugars, ect.
    Those seem to be a better guideline for me :)
  • dmaxfld
    dmaxfld Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks -- I think the protein is low, too, especially for guys. And especially when the calories come down low, aiming for 1g/lb. of lean body weight is pretty tough.

I think you're right to try to lose .7 instead of a full lb per week; as close as you are to your goal, which is very impressive, it's going to have to come off more slowly to keep your good lbs. Great progress and congratulations!
  • dmaxfld
    Options
    I find that, with the restrictions, I can easily begin to tell if I am eating healthily or not.
    Here's the thing: you may eat up to 2k cals a day, but they will be from processed, high fat foods (high density = high fat = high calories).
    If you eat fresh fruits, vegetables, lean protein and (some) fats, you can easily hit these marks. it's up to you, but as long as your higher calorie intakes come from healthy dense calories (peanut butter, olive oil, potatoes, ect.) then I wouldn't worry about it.
    More than anything, I follow the percentages for fats, carbs, sugars, ect.
    Those seem to be a better guideline for me :)
  • dmaxfld
    Options
    I agree; sounds Paleo; I've dropped a lot of bad weight before without counting calories eating Paleo, but do tend to start losing strength after a few weeks. My current experiment is to cut the carbs to under 100 per day, eat as Paleo as I can, and after about 2-3 weeks bring carbs back in as fruits and vegetables.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I follow them, and usually try to not eat back all my calories (half or less). I am at 1330 it seems to be a good amount for me. But I always eat more protein then suggested and usually go under on my carbs.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use the calorie goal guide line. Sometimes I go over by 100 - 200 calories at times when I feel a little off.