Training abs

Options
What's your abs workout look like? I usually train them twice per week minimum. Today is my rest day and I am planning on doing a TABATA section of just abs. I do weighted crunches, woodshoppers, planks, raise legs, ball excercises etc

Replies

• nataly2321
    nataly2321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I prefer abs workout several more times a week (5-6 days) Always in the morning and evening. But It requires a few days off to regenerate muscles. I do the same exercises as u, mostly crunches. On the beginning, mainly sit ups helped me a lot.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't really do any intentional ab work and yet my tummy is shrinking.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My abs get trained when I do my squats, deadlifts and such. I hardly do specific ab work.
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    a few crunches and leg raises, couple of times a week at the end of my workout, but as has been said they get worked during other exercises.
  • lance2016mfp
    lance2016mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Crunches, planks, leg raises. Do them at the end of my workout 5 days a week
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I like to use machines so that I don't have to mash my back into the floor doing crunches and such. So there is the ab roller where you put weights on the bottom under the platform your shins go on, and hold the handles up top and crunch/swing your knees up toward your hands, using your ab muscles and pulling the weight along.... the oblique twister machine, where you add weights and go side to side, and the back extension to provide strength in your back so the muscles are balanced. If I can't get to the gym with the machines then I do planks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm using an ab roller between deadlifting sets and doing band rotations between squat sets. On 1-2 other days a week I do ab exercises (ab roller, stability ball knee tucks, landmine rotations) while circuit training.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ugggggggggggggh.

I hate training abs. I'm lucky if I do them once per week. Captains chair leg raises and Russian twists. I'm 99% sure I still won't have abs after this bulk/cut cycle.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Other than squats and deads; Captains chair leg raises maybe 2-3 times a week. I'm too pudgy to have visible abs...and that's okay with me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ugggggggggggggh.

I hate training abs. I'm lucky if I do them once per week. Captains chair leg raises and Russian twists. I'm 99% sure I still won't have abs after this bulk/cut cycle.

For some reason I don't mind ab work if I can do it in a superset or circuit but on its own? Blech. I'm the same with curls.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Pretty much just planks for the core strength. No specific abs. They get hit with all the other training
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ugggggggggggggh.

For some reason I don't mind ab work if I can do it in a superset or circuit but on its own? Blech. I'm the same with curls.

Yeah...For me I don't mind it as much if I'm using some kind of weight. I just pretty much hate all body weight exercises. I don't really superset anything.

I'm like a bro when it comes to curling. I always say I'm going to skip it, but I'm addicted to the pump. I don't know who I've become.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    My abs get trained when I do my squats, deadlifts and such. I hardly do specific ab work.

+1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I did the Swiss ball prone jackknife for the first time today. I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done at the gym, lol.

I haven't been doing any specific ab work but can tell my core is getting stronger as yoga poses like Boat are easier.