shirataki miracle noodles

Options
cindy4mica
cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
anyone try these? pasta is probably my #1 favorite food, and if i can find it for zero (or close to zero) calories *and* it tastes fairly decent (i'm pretty sure it's not going to taste *as* good as the real deal, but low-cal foods rarely do), then my prayers have been answered! i'll actually pay $30+ for them if that's the case.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/index.html

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I just ordered some to try. I am excited to try them.
  • elizabethdemulder
    Options
    Bump =)
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    keep me posted!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a broke college student. I couldnt imagine spending $30 on noodles!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I make my own out of the knojac glucomannan powder and quite like them. The thing about them is rinse and repeat. You want to wash those buggers good. When you open the package you'll notice a fishy smell, rinsing does fix that. Then you boil it in the sauce. If the noodles are too soft for you, pan cook them until they firm up a bit and then boil with your chosen sauce. The noodles themselves are tasteless so the sauce is where you make up the difference.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I'm a broke college student. I couldnt imagine spending $30 on noodles!

believe me, that's *our* little secret - my hubby will *not* know this. lol!
  • icerose137
    Options
    If you find you like them and you're okay in working in the kitchen you might want to buy a bag of the powder. It's $19.00 + $5 shipping and handling for roughly 100 cups of noodles. You can also use the powder as a thickener, instant pudding maker, creamy low fat icecream, gravy, ect.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Miracle noodles, but House Foods Tofu shirataki noodles are pretty common at the grocery store and I get them for $2.50 a package. I've used the angel hair and fettuccine style and love them both!
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love pasta too! Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? I recently learned how to make it so it is like spaghetti. It is really good for you too! If you have any ?s about it just send me a message. It is too long to type on here.
  • crystaljoy5
    Options
    I have tried them and I can't get past the smell. They are better after you rinse them, but they also are slightly gummy. I had to pass on them. I'd rather eat a small amout of high fiber real noodles then these. Thats just my opinion though.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I haven't tried the Miracle noodles, but House Foods Tofu shirataki noodles are pretty common at the grocery store and I get them for $2.50 a package. I've used the angel hair and fettuccine style and love them both!

thanks! i'll keep an eye out for them.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I have tried them and I can't get past the smell. They are better after you rinse them, but they also are slightly gummy. I had to pass on them. I'd rather eat a small amout of high fiber real noodles then these. Thats just my opinion though.

yeah, i was afraid they'd be "gummy", especially since i like my pasta al dente. and i *hate* seafood so i'm guessing the smell's going to turn me off, too. hmmm....i may have to rethink this.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I love pasta too! Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? I recently learned how to make it so it is like spaghetti. It is really good for you too! If you have any ?s about it just send me a message. It is too long to type on here.

i have, but it doesn't take the same to me. maybe i'm not making it right. i'll message you to get more info. thanks:)
  • risamgirl
    risamgirl Posts: 11
    Options
    You can get them at Whole Foods Markets
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Don't buy them at Whole Paycheck market. Get them on Amazon. If you do Subscribe and Save, it makes it even cheaper. Plus, it's almost a surprise when they show up at your doorstep. Make sure to wash them well first or you're going to dislike the fish smell/taste.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Don't buy them at Whole Paycheck market. Get them on Amazon. If you do Subscribe and Save, it makes it even cheaper. Plus, it's almost a surprise when they show up at your doorstep. Make sure to wash them well first or you're going to dislike the fish smell/taste.

thanks for the tips:)
  • icerose137
    Options
    Since you know the smell is going to bother you, I suggest having your collander in the sink and open them under running water. That way the water gets to them first, dump them right in the collander and rinse them really good.
  • pattyo50
    pattyo50 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can you please share your recipe/procedure for using spaghetti squash. Thank you!
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    Since you know the smell is going to bother you, I suggest having your collander in the sink and open them under running water. That way the water gets to them first, dump them right in the collander and rinse them really good.

thank you:)
  • corapie
    corapie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "Hungry Girl" is the brand name I find these under at my grocery. They are in a refrigerated section and I'd definitely recommend trying to find them locally before you order that many online. I use them occasionally and they're an okay substitute as long as you use a flavorful sauce. The texture is more like an Asian noodle than a pasta. I wouldn't say the smell is fishy but the first whiff is really gross & not suggestive of anything you'd want to put in your mouth. After the rinsing & a brief boil the smell is dissipated.