Having to log makes a huge difference

Options
I just took a road trip all alone over the holiday weekend, a time when I would normally "treat" myself. On the way down, I looked at a King-Sized Payday bar - hey, no chocolate, how many calories could it possibly have? Um - 460. More than most of my meals. So I skipped it.

Then, on the way back, I stopped at Cracker Barrel and was tempted by a Pecan Log. Hmmm - if I break it into sixths and take 6 days to eat it, that's 150 calories per day, which I could work in replacing other snacks. When normally I would scarf the whole thing down at once! Thinking of spreading small pieces over a 6-day period just didn't make it seem worthwhile, so I skipped that one, too.

I didn't realize how accountable I would feel simply by daily logging of all of my food! I'm within about 4 pounds of my goal weight now and really don't want to mess things up at this late date.

Replies

• Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    Awesome. Congratulations on staying strong! I did not do so well over the holidays. Time to get back on track.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eye opening huh
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I hear you @mylittlerainbow, 470 cals be can split up in so many different tasty ways. I could get a spinach salad with grilled prawns, a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate for that. Much more enjoyable.
    I will often look, drool then think nah, there is so many other things I prefer, then walk away.

Great to hear you are close to your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I figured out how lazy I am.
    "Do I want to search, weight, and log that item? Nope. Never mind then."
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Had to laugh at that @pincushion14. I too have passed on stuff because I don't already have it in my database.

Cheers, h.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.
    Pre logging my meal has been very helpful. If I wish to eat something extra, I know I have to take something out from my meal list for the day, in order to meet my daily calorie net
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    If you can turn down a pecan log, you can achieve anything. Way to go !
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Oooooh the pecan log was very hard to walk away from! But having to look it up, log the calories, and either let it fill up a whole day or else have a tiny portion over each of the next 6 days - didn't seem worth it. I never perceived before how truly accountable one IS with these food diaries. Is it worth "just a taste" of that cake if I have to figure out how much it weighs and how many calories it is and then log it? Nope!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Yup, some foods are not worth it in the moment. It's not always easy to put it down, but it's a lot easier knowing that I can have it another time when it's planned.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Great insight! I've heard before that willpower is like a muscle that needs to be exercised to get stronger. Looks like you worked the hell out of your willpower over the holidays. Good for you!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize how accountable I would feel simply by daily logging of all of my food! I'm within about 4 pounds of my goal weight now and really don't want to mess things up at this late date.

You just explained why I stopped eating so many of the things that I wouldn't normally think twice about eating. When I log it, does it look like it's worth it? 99% of the time, absolutely not.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    That really is the best thing about logging. I don't deny myself anything, but I often find that it just isn't worth it to me to waste calories on junk food.