Meal Prep

Options
Just starting to meal prep, any suggestions?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    These sub reddits helped me tremendously:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fitmeals/

I like this one too but I eat more than 1200 calories a day (and I'm losing weight!)

https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty/

You might want to check out the recipes mfp forum.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do a lot of prep on a weekend - we make a meal plan for the week first, and eat the same thing every day. We don't get bored of this and it makes life easier.

- big trays of roast vegies for dinners (we re-roast them but just to heat up as we don't have a microwave)
    - weeks worth of rice and quinoa cooked
    - Kangaroo meatballs baked - weighed in to 50g portions so we can add them easily
    - chicken breast baked
    - salad vegies weighed and put in containers for 3-4 days (not chopped small, we find this makes it soggy and gross)
    - lunch vegies weighed and put in containers
    - eggs hardboiled
    - fruit/yoghurt/protein mixed up and frozen (dessert)

We used to do more, but prefer to make a lot fresh where we can (breakfast, and dinner)
    Everything is portioned out and either frozen or kept in the fridge.
  • mrust0714
    mrust0714 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank yo so much!!!! I really appreciate it! How do the kangaroo meatballs taste?!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mrust0714 wrote: »
    Thank yo so much!!!! I really appreciate it! How do the kangaroo meatballs taste?!

Kangaroo is quite a strong flavour, nothing like beef/lamb. I didn't eat it until about 3 years ago, now I eat it nearly everyday. It's really lean protein, and good source of iron, and naturally free range/pasture fed
  • Tammy_Christopher
    Tammy_Christopher Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I love making Egg muffins. Just mix together what ever you like in omelets and pour it into muffin tins sprayed with non stick spray and bake them. I usually put ham, spinach and a little cheese in mine. I make a weeks worth and then pop them in the microwave in the morning for a quick yummy breakfast. I bake them at 350 until they are to the texture you prefer. I also cut up a ton of veggies ahead of time and bag them up, make turkey burgers ahead, or a weeks worth of salads. Anything that is quick to grab in the morning is perfect.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One of the simplest things to do is make a couple extra servings each time you cook and then freeze the extra in properly weighed portions in some plastic containers. Voila! easy freezer meals and you build up some variety.

Other than that I mostly only portion meats from bulk purchases. Some I cook then freeze and some stays raw and freeze so I can be flexible with cooking a meal. I weigh and portion nuts, crackers, etc. in snack zip bags so those are ready fast - cheaper and tailored to your nutritional needs and/or cravings.

• ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can prepare meal for the whole week. To me, keeping it for 3 days max in the refrigerator, else it's not so good anymore.
  • sdash07
    sdash07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi- I like allrecipes.com and cookinglight.com for low fat or low calorie meals.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ise311 wrote: »
    I don't know how people can prepare meal for the whole week. To me, keeping it for 3 days max in the refrigerator, else it's not so good anymore.

I was wondering about this as well. Does some of this go into the freezer?
  • mrust0714
    mrust0714 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Well today I made brown jasmine rice, spaghetti squash, 8 chicken breasts, green beans, and muffin pan eggs. I was also wondering about the life of the food? I was told it should be good but I am still iffy on it! This is for 2 people. I do protein for breakfast so really it's just lunch and snacks and some dinner. Thanks for all of the advice!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Try starting out small so you don't get overwhelmed. When my husband is gone I cook 1 or 2 meals (like meatloaf/rice/veg and baked chicken/rice/veg) portion them out into pre-logged meals and I'm good for dinners for the week.

When he's home I have to cook a meal every evening, but I try to prepare where I can. A crockpot meal, meatloaf or casserole prepped the day before goes a long way to getting dinner on the table quickly.