Bored eating tips??

Options
Hello everyone! Apologies if this thread has already been tackled but I couldn't find anything recently. I'm a terrible bored/mindless eater. I don't even want to admit how many bags of chips or blocks of cheese I've polished off without realizing it. So...does anyone have any tips on how I can stop doing this? I can't seem to stop! Thanks:-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Find something else to do when you're bored?

Knitting, reading, jigsaws, paint your nails etc etc
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The first step is to figure out the most likely time you do it. Watching TV? After dinner and before bed? Weekends? If it's when you watch TV then you could find a way to keep your hands busy and chew gum. If it's between dinner and bed then maybe you need to plan a snack in. If it's on weekends you can find a way to keep busy or out of the house.

I snack on weekends, so I get active when the weather allows and I also do meal prep for the week. Sometimes I would do it before bed as I watched TV, so I planned a snack then turned off the kitchen light when I was done for the day.

Planning meals ahead can help reduce snacking for a lot of people.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make a point of weighing out my snacks in the kitchen and putting the measured serving in a bowl rather than eating straight out of the bag or box. When the bowl is empty, I either stop eating OR I have to get up, go back in the kitchen, and go through the weighing routine again. It's usually easier just to stop!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Do you think you would feel more satisfied if you ate your meals first?
    Weigh your food in grams and log it.
    I need high protein, fiber and fat to feel satisfied, otherwise I feel snacky.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I make a point of weighing out my snacks in the kitchen and putting the measured serving in a bowl rather than eating straight out of the bag or box. When the bowl is empty, I either stop eating OR I have to get up, go back in the kitchen, and go through the weighing routine again. It's usually easier just to stop!

Ya, this ^ helps me eat mindfully.

I tend to not have the munchies if I've gotten enough sleep, exercise, and protein.
  • Cheeseandcats
    Cheeseandcats Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful tips! I really do appreciate it and hopefully I can utilize some to help me overcome this wicked bad habit.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make a cup of tea. The process of turning on the electric kettke, getting out the tea bag, splenda, creamer....whatever you use takes a few minutes as does the drinking process.

I use 2 splenda and 35 cals worth of almond joy creamer in black tea.

It keeps me occupies for a bit...and its delicious!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Sometimes treating boredom eating is the same as quitting smoking. Your hands are used to doing something, even if it's grabbing into a chip bag. Keep them busy with other things. I'm a painter and a gamer, so it's hard to eat when I have paint all over my hands.

I also second the idea of keeping pre-made snack bags of portions around. Eating a smaller portion might trick your mind into thinking it received what it wanted without doing too much damage to your overall daily goal.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I was going to say this! Plus, have a water bottle handy. Every time you are thinking about heading to the fridge, drink some water instead. Also, if you really need to snack just go for raw veggies like carrots or celery, apple slices or blueberries are good too! The amount of calories in these items will be so small compared to chips or cheese.

• steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Stop buying the chips and cheese for a while. Buy some extra healthy, quick grab snacks. Follow some of the above suggestions.
  • sarahrosebinder
    sarahrosebinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got one of those adult coloring books for christmas and I've been coloring when I watch tv. Keeps my mind and hands occupied on something other then snacking.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I find myself eating every time I walk into the kitchen, so I make it a habit to start cleaning something instead. I have 3 boys, so I'm always running to the kitchen for something, but there is always something to clean.

I also set up a "cleaning station" right by the kitchen door, so in the case the kitchen is entirely clean, I can grab it and turn around to clean some other room.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

I think this is the only thing that really works to redirect the habbit. Whenever you find yourself in this situation, find something to do. Food has been your coping mechanism for boredom - so find something else to fill up that time in a satisfying way.
  • sandsofarabia
    sandsofarabia Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »

I was going to say this! Plus, have a water bottle handy. Every time you are thinking about heading to the fridge, drink some water instead. Also, if you really need to snack just go for raw veggies like carrots or celery, apple slices or blueberries are good too! The amount of calories in these items will be so small compared to chips or cheese.

I was just about to say water. Whenever I watch netflix, instead of snacks I just keep a water bottle handy or those low calorie flavored mineral water. I've just always been more successful in not overeating when I avoid actual snacks altogether. Oh yeah and don't carry junk food in your house period. Even if you live with other people, just get rid of it because temptations can hit you hard.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Low calorie, pre-portioned snacks.
    A new hobby (gives your hands something to do)
    Water.
  • deeree14
    deeree14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also have a bad habit of snacking before bad..I'm loving these tips..think I will start cleaning whenever I go in the kitchen or make a cup of lavender tea. That helps and it makes me sleepy! :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest to work on some type of craft project. I crochet and it helps keep my mind and hands busy (while still being able to watch tv) and the last thing I want to do is get food on my hands or whatever I'm working on.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    get out of the kitchen.
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cleaning, chewing gum, drawing
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I found logging my food to be the perfect remedy to mindless eating. Once I realized how many calories I was actually eating, I pretty much quit.