Which is better? Protein Shake or Chocolate Milk?

Options
I've been pulling double workout sessions the past few days and tonight, after my cardio session, I had a glass of low-fat chocolate milk. Which is more beneficial? Chocolate milk or a protein shake/bar? I don't need to lose any weight, I just need to maintain. I should add that I'm currently preparing for a 22-mile cycling event, but I'm not doing any weight lifting - it's pure cardio - treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike.

Replies

• michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I would think a protein shake would be better because it should have more protein but I am NOT the right person to ask! Just thought I'd throw my opinion out there hahaha :flowerforyou:
  • sexylily
    sexylily Posts: 68
    Options
    protein shake! Your body protein shak needs protein to burn fat & not lose muscle. Milk sometimes can stop u from burning fat for 24 hours
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am fond of protein shakes. [:
    Chocolate milk has too much sugar.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake is better.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Protein shake just based on sugar alone. Try to find a protein shake with lots of vitamins and minerals too.
  • shellee9tj
    shellee9tj Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good but I like to make my own shake with chocolate milk and peanut butter and sometimes I throw in a banana! It's yuymmy and with the peanut butter you are getting more protein than just with the milk!
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    that choco milk is going to have more sugar than the protein shake... so I vote protein shake.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    Crap, now I feel stupid for wasting 170 calories! LOL! Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll just say it was my snack! ha! :)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I also read that yogurt smoothies work too. Chocolate milk works. If you lack protein in your diet - then go for protein shakes. If you are getting enough protein or too much, I wouldn't go overboard.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I think they are both good - whichever you prefer. The fitness experts who have spoken at a running class I go to have all recommended chocolate milk for recovering after workouts. It has the right balance of carbs and protein to both replenish glycogen stores and to rebuild muscle. But protein shakes or other healthy combinations of carbs./proteins are ok too. Unless you are training for the Olympics, little differences aren't going to make a huge difference.
  • Carrie_Dane
    Carrie_Dane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Of course it is the protein drink! I get the Premier protein drinks at Costco that taste just like chocolate milk only minus all that sugar. With 30 grams of protein you can't go wrong.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You can get something cheap like this (the kind I use, but a different flavor): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortress-Super-Advanced-Whey-Protein-Cookies-N-Cr-Me-Protein-Supplement-2-lb/10322371

It includes creatine and Glutamine so you don't have to worry about buying the supplements.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There are new studies that low fat chocolate milk is beneficial after working out.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/247_fitness_tip.html

I think you need to see which helps you recover better.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I could go both ways on this one.
    IF the chocolate milk is made with sugar, and not High Fructose Cornsyrup. AND the Protein Shake option had No Carbs, then for post workout I would take the chocolate milk.
    IF the chocolate milk was made with HFC, and the protein shake had some Carbs from dextrose or sucrose, etc then I would go for the Protein shake.

All depends. For me anyway.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Yes, choco milk is popular as a post-workout drink amongst runners, but you need to remember that a runner's diet doesn't necessarily correlate with that of someone counting calories and trying to lose weight.

If you frequent the running websites, you'll find a myriad of food discussions that seem to contradict advice given from weight-loss coaches, and for a good reason, much of the running nutrition advice is given to people who aren't necessarily concerned about counting calories because they burn thousands every day.

I'm not saying you CAN, and I'm not saying you CAN'T, I'm just saying be aware of where you get the advice and under what context it's given. :-D