What is your favorite healthy snack to tame late night munchies?

Options
I am a foodie. I love to eat. I'm also a college student which means that I am up late sometimes and I get hungry. Any recommendations for snacks that I can have that will satisfy me late at night but not ruin my diet? I want to break the habit of running to the vending machine or ordering late night.

Replies

• Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn with hotsauce and/or Parmesan cheese. Another way I love popcorn is to mix melted butter or olive oil with a teensy bit of truffle oil. Mix well to coat and add salt to taste.
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to try it
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Mint tea. Really trying to NOT eat at night. Husband loves ice cream sitting in front of the TV. Grrr... ;)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Adjust what you eat the rest of the day to allow you to snack without going over your daily calories.

When you snack, are you actually hungry, or is it a habit? The answer doesn't matter in terms of calories (just stay within your allotment), but it will help you figure out what kind of food to snack on.

For me, a large bowl of raw broccoli is a good "mindless" snack, because it's crunchy, low calorie, and takes a long time to chew.

If I'm actually hungry at night, I'll eat something that curbs the hunger, such as nut butter on celery or an apple.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night so plan my food that way - i eat most of my calories post training (so dinner and dessert)and do this by starting to eat later in the morning, and lower calorie dense options.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat one cup of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt with chia seeds before bed every night.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    celery
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit or a cup of tea.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Celery sticks w/a low cal dip. its crunchy, its chewy so takes awhile to eat, makes a lot of noise, dips tastes good cuz its creamy yummy. Not alot of calories. Lots of fiber so guilt-free.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned it, but air popped popcorn! Or some yogurt or fruits.
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I eat one cup of Dannon Light & Fit yogurt with chia seeds before bed every night.

I'm not big on the chia seeds, but I'll back the yogurt! There's a lot of variety in calories of yogurts as well (ones I eat range 80-170) so you can find a nice fit to your calorie count. Plus it's not one of those "gobble" foods that you can eat in seconds.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Salty popcorn. High in fiber, usually decent on calories. Salt always cures my "munchies" :)
  • dcp1911
    dcp1911 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower.
  • ChickenPioPio
    ChickenPioPio Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm also a student and feel your pain! I make lots of tea and drink lots of water in attempts to stop late night munching while studying. I also third the popcorn suggestion, but make sure it's healthy! I buy the organic unpopped stuff from Trader Joe's and make it using a pyrex bowl with the lid placed (not sealed) over on the popcorn microwave mode. It's good all by itself. Or sometimes I put Valentina hot sauce. Or cinnamon. Or if I'm feeling extra fancy and can spare more calories I spray some coconut oil and put a little bit of cocoa power and coconut flakes. I also sometimes buy pre-cut bags of stir fry mix to munch on.
  • healthyemily93
    healthyemily93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A spicy dill pickle. Low-cal, very flavorful and crunchy.
  • eggheadrn
    eggheadrn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    chia pudding or the coconut cream/cocoa/vanilla pudding. I know, coconut cream = high cal, but one bite (especially if w/good cocoa), and you're full....
  • GinnyRamsdale
    GinnyRamsdale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I get desperate for something sweet, I eat a sugar free jello, which is only 5 calories, and it satisfies the sweet craving.
  • stefanyjoy
    stefanyjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tonight I had 3/4 serving of Snyder pretzel sticks to dip in a wedge of laughing cow light Swiss and a tablespoon of pepper jelly. Yum! Almost licked the plate after having mostly veggie-based meals all day (just worked that way). I need my cheesy-salty-sweetness, and if I save something savory or sweet for my last snack of the day I can sleep a little easier.
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are all great!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    sunrise tofu desserts are amazing
    cliff bars
    peanut butter & celery