Baby Gut

Options
Okay, I have lost almost thirty lbs. I have lost decent inches everywhere but my stomach. I swear I still look like I have a three month baby belly. My stomach use to be my favorite part. Now I hate it. I feel like I don't look any better because of it. Any suggestions? I've had two kids in three yrs.

Replies

• Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I notice the top of my abs getting smaller, but not the body half where I still have some lose skin from my c-section. I'll watch this thread maybe we'll see some suggestions!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    bumping to see replies too.
  • MsHQ
    MsHQ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! I actually have the same problem.. but lately Ive been noticing more changes, and really the only way your gonna see progress in the lower half of your belly or your pooch, is to change what your eating! abs are all about NUTRITION. As soon as you change your nutrition, your overall body fat will decrease including your belly, and in return you will reach your results. :wink: Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • DawnA7230
    DawnA7230 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have lost almost thirty lbs. I have lost decent inches everywhere but my stomach. I swear I still look like I have a three month baby belly. My stomach use to be my favorite part. Now I hate it. I feel like I don't look any better because of it. Any suggestions? I've had two kids in three yrs.

How old is your baby?
    The belly area is the last place to lose, sadly. Hang in there. It will come in time.
  • kerenjackson06
    kerenjackson06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have probably lost inches in your belly, but without toning the muscles that were stretched out during pregnancy, you won't be able to tell. I have the same issue. I watched a Dr. Oz episode once where he demonstrated an ab technique that doesn't involve crunches. He got on the ground on his belly, raised up on his toes and elbows, and held it while keeping his back and neck straight.
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My youngest is almost 6 and I am still working on mine... For the longest time it was cardio, cardio, cardio and then I hit a plateau and started the 30 day shred. Halfway through it now I've lost 2 inches from my lower stomach (WOOT!) and the skin doesn't look near as wrinkly.
  • MsHQ
    Options
    also, incorporate more STRENGTH TRAINING, into your plan. Whether you use resistance bands or weights, you will have way better results, because it helps to tighten up the skin. =)
  • candyk78
    candyk78 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi from my experience and from my sister's experience, no matter how hard you workout and no matter how tight you get your abs, the skin on your belly will be there. I especially notice it when in plank position, that awful loose skin on your belly usually doesnt go away. Maybe a few lucky people have their skin snap back but for the majority of us that is just the trophy we wear for having our babies. My sister is in excellent shape and has it and a friend of mine who is very tiny actually had a tummy tuck to tighten up her belly.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Nice to have you here! You'll love it.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you find the magic cure...let me know! From everything I've heard/read here's the "generic answer"...our bodies will burn fat wherever and whenever they want.

However...I can't imagine that crunches wouldn't help. I also know of a girl who, once she started running, her belly started to shrink.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I especially notice it when in plank position, that awful loose skin on your belly usually doesnt go away.

uck. me, too! i also had abdominal surgery from an automobile accident back in 1994, and i think i'm having a harder time with that problem because of it (yes, even all of these years later). ugh. keep thinking about that "sharpei" skin when i'm in that position...
  • MsHQ
    Options
    If you find the magic cure...let me know! From everything I've heard/read here's the "generic answer"...our bodies will burn fat wherever and whenever they want.

However...I can't imagine that crunches wouldn't help. I also know of a girl who, once she started running, her belly started to shrink.

AGREED ! RUNNING works miracles for the body, if you do nothing else, try running!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Hi! I actually have the same problem.. but lately Ive been noticing more changes, and really the only way your gonna see progress in the lower half of your belly or your pooch, is to change what your eating! abs are all about NUTRITION. As soon as you change your nutrition, your overall body fat will decrease including your belly, and in return you will reach your results. :wink: Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

Can you elaborate on the nutrition needed for flatter/leaner abs?
  • NavyWifeag
    NavyWifeag Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My daughter is almost 10 months. My son is two. It's not skin just a pooch. I can actually feel the muscles under the layer of fat, but it just feels pushed out.
  • carolynmittens
    Options

simple - eliminate sugar! if you cut out sugar, that is ALL refined sugar and high-sugar fruits, fat will seriously melt off your body. you need to eat mostly veggies and lean protein too of course, but the elimination of sugar will do absolute wonders for your body. i cut out sugar and lost 7 lbs in one week.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options

simple - eliminate sugar! if you cut out sugar, that is ALL refined sugar and high-sugar fruits, fat will seriously melt off your body. you need to eat mostly veggies and lean protein too of course, but the elimination of sugar will do absolute wonders for your body. i cut out sugar and lost 7 lbs in one week.

by "sugar" do you mean carbs, too?
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Then I should have a six pack by now.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You have probably lost inches in your belly, but without toning the muscles that were stretched out during pregnancy, you won't be able to tell. I have the same issue. I watched a Dr. Oz episode once where he demonstrated an ab technique that doesn't involve crunches. He got on the ground on his belly, raised up on his toes and elbows, and held it while keeping his back and neck straight.

I think you mean a plank. I've done these before and you seriously feel your entire abdominal area working out and tightening. Also, I've done some "real" push-ups (not the girlie ones with your knees on the ground) and that works the entire abdominal area too. I've been told recently that to focus on the lower abs you have to focus on the entire core. Crunches don't workout the core. Maybe sit-ups? I don't do sit-ups but I would imagine it'd work the lower abs too.
  • carolynmittens
    Options

by "sugar" do you mean carbs, too?
    limiting carbs certainly helps... you need some carbs in your diet but definitely not as much as most people eat, unless you're a marathon runner. if you stick to small amounts of whole grain oats, millet, quinoa, barley or similar low gluten/gluten-free grains and cut out wheat and corn you'll probably lose weight faster.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    So from an OBGYN WOrk your abs LONG before you plan on seeing them (strength training)

That includes your sides and back because your ab muscles and lower back muscles wrap into each other. If you have a gym membership (or access to one on base by the navy uniform in your picture) they have machines for working the side ab muscles (totally blanking on the technical name) Planks, Crunches, their are ab "crunch" style machines at the gym that get you off the floor as well. You will benefit regardless in your weight loss if you strength train all over instead of only focusing on cardio. As to losing it all together, it depends on genetics, baby size, and how close your pregnancies were, the closer the pregnancies the longer it will take, the larger the baby the longer it will take (8 lb 13 ozs 21 inches long one for me!) I also had a c-section when it comes to c-section on top of that cut style and closure style play a role as well. Due to my uncle being who he is, and my OBGYN being who she was (oh yea was I picky choosing a doc) I was closed with completly internal stitches (no staples for me) in an extremely low bikini cut (my scar is on my groin pretty much) since that causes it to miss MOST of the abdominal muscles I will have a better likelyhood of tightening then someone with a higher cut and was closed with staples for the final layer.

As far as foods, limiting refined carbs/sugar (simple carbs) and sodium will help reduce bloat (which is what can make your lower abdomen appear more distended) Basically eating a higher protein more natural diet with minimal processed foods